Micro Widgets, Incorporated is the world leader in widgets for every aspect of industry. To support the organization, the IT department supports fifty Microsoft Windows 2008 Servers that are used for web services, file and print services, domain name system services (DNS), dynamic host configuration protocol services (DHCP), and domain controllers. At the request of department manager David L. Roth, this document serves to propose an upgrade to the environment that takes advantage of the benefits of upgrading the servers to Microsoft Windows Server 2012. This proposal will go on to include a discussion on the use of Windows Deployment Services (WDS) and a plan, including testing, for completion of the upgrade process.
Much like the upgrade from Microsoft Windows Server 2003 to Microsoft Windows Server 2008, the organization can benefit from upgrading the Micro Widgets, Incorporated environment from Microsoft Windows Server 2008 to Microsoft Windows Server 2012. The first benefit involves licensing. While there are four versions available: Datacenter, Standard, Essentials and Foundation, only two of the versions of Server 2012, Datacenter and Standard, really matter to an enterprise the size of Micro Widgets, Incorporated. Licensing for the two versions involves both a processor license as well as a Client Access License (CAL). Selecting the correct version to suit this organization’s needs comes down to one key difference. That difference “is the number of virtual machines you can run” (Murphy, 2012). If the ability to support large-scale enterprise level virtualization were a requirement of this upgrade, Datacenter would be the correct choice for implementation. As the organization has yet to vi...
... middle of paper ...
...domain controllers, this proposal discussed the use of Windows Deployment Services (WDS) and a plan, including testing, for completion of the upgrade process. Upon adoption and successful completion of the upgrade process, the servers supporting the daily functions of Micro Widgets, Incorporated will take advantage of latest server operating systems offered by Microsoft.
Microsoft. (2013). Manage multiple, remote servers with Server Manager. Retrieved from http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh831456.aspx
Microsoft. (2013). What's new in Windows Deployment Services in Windows Server 2012
Murphy, I. (2012). 12 key advantages of Windows Server 2012. Retrieved from http://windowsserver2012.itpro.co.uk/business-benefits/26/12-key-advantages-windows-server-2012
Regan, P. (2013). Administering Windows Server 2012: Exam 70-411. Hoboken: John Wiley
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- ... This is in sharp contrast to Microsoft 's planned shared file server failover strategy, which will allow traditional dual node installation server clustering as out of the box functionality. A rollback to Windows Server 2008 R2 or earlier will be required to continue using a networked, physical Windows printing cluster with two or more servers. What does this all mean. The most important point is that an upgrade to 2016 essentially forces administrators to virtualize their printserver(s) across two or more node machines to use a failover solution without any additional third-party support.... [tags: Operating system, Windows Server 2008, Servers]
812 words (2.3 pages)
- You are a Windows 7 administrator at Contoso, a very large and international pharmaceutical company. You have 25 servers in your network running a combination of Windows Server 2000, Server 2003, SuSe Linux. As your Chief Information Officer is brainstorming with you and his/her staff, you mention that you have heard about Virtualization and it may be a very cost effective and efficient way to upgrade everything to Windows Server 2008. Your boss tells you to research the concepts and to get back to him in two weeks with a recommendation.... [tags: Windows, efficiency, network, hardware]
887 words (2.5 pages)
- Technical Discussions WINDOWS SERVER 2012 R2/CENTOS 7 Windows Server 2012 R2 offers an enhanced support in the policy module support for the Network Device Enrollment Service. It provides enhanced security so that users and devices can request certificates from the internet. Its TPM key attestation lets the certification authority (CA) verify that the private key is protected by a hardware based TPM. The Windows PowerShell for Certificate Services with its Window PowerShell cmdlets allow for backup and restoration.... [tags: Windows Server 2008, Windows Vista]
1704 words (4.9 pages)
- Conficker, a botnet or virus, affected several Windows operating systems which lacked patches such as Windows 2000 Service Pack (SP) 4, Windows XP SP2 and SP3, Windows Server 2003 SP1 and SP2, Vista Gold SP1, Windows Server 2008 and Windows 7 systems and had access to the internet (Krepinevich, 2012; Mills, 2009; Ackerman, 2009). Also, once it infiltrated an organization’s system, then it patched the ‘hole’ at the location Port 445 to inhibit other malware from exploiting the system’s vulnerability (Krepinevich, 2012).... [tags: Microsoft Windows, Windows XP, Windows Vista]
894 words (2.6 pages)
- Windows Server 2008 and Windows Server 2012 The performance and enterprise class scale of Windows Server 2008 shows that it scales 256 LPs and 2 Tb of the memory, however Windows Server 2012 scales to 640 LPs and 4TB of the memory. Furthermore, the clustering support provided by Windows Server 2008 is up to 16 nodes 1000 virtual machines, on the other hand Windows Sever 2012 provides clustering support up to 64 nodes 4000 virtual machines are supported through it. Shared nothing live migration is not available in Windows Server 2008 however, it is considered as an effective feature that have been deployed in Windows Server 2012 as it has an ability to mitigate various virtual machines on dif... [tags: Hardware, Multitasking, Unorganized]
619 words (1.8 pages)
- When CCCL Inc was a small company, keeping records and customer data by the use of spreadsheets, access databases, and manual records were realistic practices, but as the company has grown, it has outgrown such practices. Management at GRW is now searching for a centralized database solution that will allow multi-department database collaboration as well as the ability to mine data as needed, companywide. The proposed solution to the needs of the company is the installation of Microsoft SQL Server 2012.... [tags: Enterprise Edition, SQL Server]
1969 words (5.6 pages)
- INTRODUCTION The integrity and effectiveness of the organizations use of Microsoft SQL Server heavily relies on the steps of the initial implementation. This encompasses many options that ensure security, including but not limited to encryption, authentication, user-defined roles, and auditing. The purpose of the following proposal is to suggest best practices of assuring security within Microsoft SQL Server 2012. Additionally, we will examine the functionality and reasoning behind each security best practice.... [tags: encryption, authentication, audit]
779 words (2.2 pages)
- Outline of project Our company, NEXTGARD provides Forensic Services to include Forensic Readiness, Forensic Readiness Planning, and Forensic Readiness Assessment. Our Security Services include Information Security Assessments, Independent Review and Validation Analysis, Vulnerability, Risk and Mitigation Strategy, Security Life Cycle Documentation (Nextgard.com, n.d.). With all of our services that we provide, we need to increase our own security and infrastructure capabilities. At NEXTGARD, we currently specialized in consulting for many companies abroad and near.... [tags: Windows Vista, Microsoft Windows, Windows XP]
1518 words (4.3 pages)
- Table of Contents Executive Summary 2 Company Background 2 Company Research 3 Value Chain Analysis 3 Customer Profile 4 Competitors 4 External Analysis 5 Internal Analysis 7 Financials 8 Situation Analysis 8 Alternatives 9 Recommendation 11 Implementation 11 Contingency 12 Bibliography 14 Appendix 15 Executive Summary Microsoft has been a leader in the software industry for many years. As the technology industry has changed, so has the type of devices. This change has created a market with a focus on mobile devices and access to data through the cloud.... [tags: Microsoft SWOT Analysis]
3443 words (9.8 pages)
- Executive Summary The amount of deployed instances of Microsoft SQL Server in the enterprise is on the rise as a database management system. Microsoft set out to provide an effective database management system that meets multiple goals for information technology organizations. SQL Server, a Microsoft product, is designed to deliver scalable solutions while offering ease of use and deployment, self maintenance and tuning, low resource overhead, and low administrator skill set requirements. The seeming rise in popularity of SQL Server has resulted in an upsurge of installations in the corporate environment.... [tags: Database SQL Server]
974 words (2.8 pages)
- Keeping the Drinking Age at 21 and Saving Some Lives
- The Difference in Values in Turkey, Costa Rica and the United States for Effective Marketing
- Stages in Making a Good Design
- Race, Migration and the Indian Diaspora
- Home Economics in Canadian Schools, 1919-1944
- Creating a Customer Information System for the York Bikes Company