Over the last few months I have had the opportunity to work with The University of Southern Mississippi’s Center of Child Development (CCD). The primary purpose of the CCD is to provide high quality educational and care services to children, 8 weeks to 5 years old. The center serves as an academic teaching and research facility for students and faculty across the university. This program is designed to enhance the development of the whole child. The program is also designed to encourage families to participate in a learning environment for their children that fosters optimal child development and provides a laboratory setting in which the university community can pursue academic interests.
While working at the CCD, I worked with the CCAMPIS program. This program is for USM students who are in need of daycare services for their children while attending school. There are many tasks and events that I participated with for the success of this program. For example, with the help from the graduate assistants, we set up the afternoon stay and plays, parent’s night out, and much more. Other activities such as filing, working in classrooms, working at the front desk, collecting the lunch count, greet center guest, and working on the work schedules for the staff, were just a few things that the graduate assistants and I were in charge of while working at the center.
Insights and Issues
When one looks at human behavior regarding self, colleagues, and clients, they can use Erikson’s Psychosocial Development Theory to help better understand. This theory is a framework for a better understanding on crisis and events in individual’s lives. At the CCD, the clients are the children and the staff members are the colleagues....
... middle of paper ...
...with the children at center, I have been able to physically visualize their development, and how their family live help influence that development.
Over the course of this semester, I have had the opportunity to work with the Center of Child Development. During this time I have grown and found a greater love for working with children. Understanding their development, has allowed me look at things in a different way, much different from my previous time of working with children and their families. In the beginning of this journey I did not truly understand how a child’s development can be influenced by the different aspects of their lives, however since choosing Child and Family Studies as my major, this understanding has come very clear to me. Since working with center, I allowed to gain a hands-on understanding what has been taught to me over the years.
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- In 2006, there were two internet cafés, or cybér cafés as they were locally known in Nouadhibou, Mauritania, a West African port largely unknown to Americans. For 200 ougyia an hour (roughly one dollar US), Mauritanians whose only previous window into a world outside of the Saharan landscape they lived in was through stolen satellite signals and aging television sets. It was in this landscape that I found myself running a technology center for girls. At the time, I was working in the Peace Corps, fresh out of the University of Washington College of Education.... [tags: Education, Learning, 21st century, University]
1725 words (4.9 pages)
- Political and economic leadership in the South by the end of the 18th century had moved from Virginia to South Carolina, especially Charleston, when it became clear that raw cotton was to be that state's and the region's essential product and that slavery was therefore necessary to the future. For the first 50 years the southernmost outpost of the British empire in America, Charleston became a major commercial center and supported the development of a wealthy merchant and planter class, which in turn encouraged a lively cultural life including one of two newspapers published in the South, a library society, and bookstores.... [tags: American History]
1095 words (3.1 pages)
- ... Matthews after famous Marine marksman Calvin B. Matthews in 1942. After WWII, local residents of the city of La Jolla became increasingly concerned over the existence of a military base in their community. In 1959, a bill was passed in Congress to transfer the military base to the University of California. On October 6th, 1964, Camp Calvin B. Matthews was deeded to UCSD, in same year, the first undergraduate college, Revelle, took in the first undergraduate class. Through careful observation at the site and particularly the drinking fountain, I can see how discourse, power, gaze, and taste are applied and functioning through and around the site.... [tags: War, Campus, Statue]
976 words (2.8 pages)
The Role Of Visual Arts And Culture Of African Americans And The African Diaspora At University Of Maryland College
- My research advisor, Dr. Sherry Molock, had four mentors: James Jones, Nancy Anderson, Dorothy Holmes, and Robert Steele. Robert Steele was her academic research advisor, James Jones and Nancy Anderson were her research mentors, and Dorothy Holmes was her clinical mentor. Based on the findings from some article and websites, one can see how their research and clinical expertise well aligns with most of the Dr. Molock’s current specialties: faith-based communities and minority populations. Robert Steele was a faculty at Maryland’s College of Behavioral and Social Sciences and the Executive Director for the David C.... [tags: Psychology, Clinical psychology, Psychoanalysis]
830 words (2.4 pages)
- A colleges academic message can be identified by looking at a school’s website. When I typed in Georgia Southern on google and pressed their webpage, I was impressed. The first thing that drew my attention was the picture on the main page. It was a picture of four big brick buildings, under a perfect blue sky surrounded by green pine trees. As I explored more of the website, I saw on the right side there was a blue line that had the words helpful links written inside in white. Grazing down the list, I noticed there was a link for Georgia Southern’s mission.... [tags: Education, University, Student, College]
944 words (2.7 pages)
- Technology affects all facets of higher education. The institutions administrative branches and faculty, access and student learning perspectives benefit from technology applications. Embracing technology will enhance the out come of universities and students learning experiences. Multi media classes were offspring of distance learning and television videos that were not interactive. (Marque, 2013) Free on-line classes Masses Open On-line Courses (MOOCs), Coursesa and Khan Academy created to expose anyone who signs up to participate in the class.... [tags: Education, University, Higher education, College]
1138 words (3.3 pages)
- Learning can’t always just be in the classroom and from my observation at the Childhood Development Center I got to learn from real life observation. In the weeks prior to my observation I learned about the cognitive, language, physical, and lastly social and emotional development of children from birth to adolescence through lecture and readings. However I also got to see these parts of development in a preschool setting of children ranging from 3 to 5 years old at the Montana State University’s Childhood Development Center.... [tags: Developmental psychology, Childhood]
1764 words (5 pages)
- University of Southern California The University of Southern California started during the 1880’s, when Los Angeles was just a small town without electricity and paved streets. At that time, there were only 50 students and 10 teachers, but today there are over 43,000 students and almost 4,000 full-time faculty. Today, the University of Southern California is located in one of the most densely populated, biggest metropolises in the world. The University of Southern California is one of the most successful private research universities in the world.... [tags: Academic degree, Bachelor's degree]
993 words (2.8 pages)
- The Need for Parkland Child Development Center to Expand Do you have any idea what is the current percentage of college student with children. Is it large or just a meager percentage of the college population. The answer would probably make you think; ”[n]ational statistics indicate that among undergraduates enrolled in college in 2008, 23 percent had at least one child. Almost five percent had a child under the age of one, and 12 percent had at least on child under the age of five,” wrote Sara Rab.... [tags: Higher education, University, Childcare, Day care]
1241 words (3.5 pages)
- Introductory Paragraph: City council members, I would like to thank you for your consideration of my expert opinion on creating a state of the art child development center at The Charlotte Community Center here in North Carolina. I have created activities as well as room set up and teacher implements for the Infant, Toddler, Early childhood, Middle/late childhood and Adolescent classrooms. My main goal is to create age appropriate areas and a program that focuses on cognitive, psychosocial, physical and emotional development with each of my planned activities.... [tags: Infant, Child development]
956 words (2.7 pages)