Amazingly, based upon my research this is not a Herculean task; the Gallup-Purdue Index Report found that if a graduate had a professor who captivated and mentored the graduate, then that graduate had more than a 200% likelihood of having job engagement (7). Additionally, graduates were also shown to have more than a 200% likelihood of being engaged in their job if they had "experiential and deep learning," which was having an internship, a job related to their major, a long-term project, or extracurricular activities while attending college (10-11).
The map for how UNF should change its educational policy was drawn almost 200 years ago by a French pedagogue, Joseph Jacotot; he articulated a way for UNF students to be captivated and engaged in their learning. Jacotot had gotten a job teaching French to Flemish students even though he did not speak any Flemish. Although the typical method of teaching at that time was explication, which was a professor’s commentaries and re...
... middle of paper ...
...g, and all aspects of education at UNF must become a stereotype-free university; students must perceive that they can do anything by themselves.
UNF is a great institution; however, its education policy earned an F for its graduates’ job engagement and well-being experiences. The way to solve this failure is for UNF to change its education policy; it must change from explication by lectures and professorial teaching to emancipation by student self-taught learning. In addition, UNF’s education policy must get students involved in internships and long-term projects that apply their learning. Interaction with professors as mentors needs to be the norm, not the exception. The new policy must also ensure that there are no negative stereotypes telling students that they cannot learn or accomplish anything by themselves. Taking these steps will make UNF even greater.
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- Throughout recent history there have been several landmark events, which have swept across the nation, impacting the masses. With each news station fighting to have the first story, one could begin to speculate where the information they acquire is sourced, due to how quickly it is regurgitated. Before the rise of social media outlets vying for our society's attention, there were only limited resources available for trustworthy information. Now however, there is an endless supply of mediums readily accessible to distribute news in our fast paced lives.... [tags: presidential elections, algore, florida]
1627 words (4.6 pages)
- The History of the School The school I chose to do my observation is Renaissance Charter School at University, which officially opened in August 2012. The principal Mrs. W has been working there since. The school’s address is 8399 North University Drive, Tamarac, FL 33321. It is located in Woodmont, a neighborhood that is predominately Caucasian. The city of Tamarac itself, is largely inhabited by retirees over the age of 65. One would assume that this area is moderately safe environment for children.... [tags: Education, School, Teacher, Lev Vygotsky]
1614 words (4.6 pages)
- Introduction Researches on the beginnings of coastal adaptation and exploitation of maritime adaptations have been carried out by John Erlandson and colleagues. There are existing anthropological theories which are over 10, 000 BP but Erlandson believes that the societies of hunter-gather used aquatic resources and among them were popular terrestrial hunter-gatherers (Slaymaker, 2007). This has been challenging since it is difficult to define exactly constitutes of fully maritime culture. There is also the change in environment in which there are rise and fall of sea levels and erosion of coastal environments.... [tags: Clovis Theory, Kelp Highways]
3666 words (10.5 pages)
- Apart from the 2012 Martin shooting, Zimmerman has had other encounters with the law, including two incidents in 2005, five incidents in 2013 and other incidents in following years. When Zimmerman was 21, he was arrested after shoving an undercover alcohol-control agent while a friend of Zimmerman 's was being arrested for underage drinking in July 2005. Also in 2005, Zimmerman 's ex-fiancée filed a restraining order against him, alleging domestic violence. On September 9, 2013, in Lake Mary, police responded to a 911 call by Zimmerman 's estranged wife, who reported that Zimmerman had threatened her and her father with a gun and had punched her father in the face.... [tags: High school, Crime, Miami-Dade County, Florida]
1089 words (3.1 pages)
- Introduction Over the past 20 years, the athleticism involved in cheerleading has increased dramatically. Cheerleading in the United States is a year round competitive activity. Cheerleaders are asked to perform through 3 seasons, peak for national competitions, and attend cheerleading-training camps in the summer. Cheerleading begins at an early age and is estimated to include over a million participants between elementary school and the professional sports levels. Cheerleading is a kind of sports which combines music and physical activities and usually associates with football and basketball.... [tags: Sports, Injury]
2015 words (5.8 pages)
- As the new Assistant Director of the First Year Experience office I am creating a plan to assess and improve the retention and student success on our campus. When creating a committee for any task, big or small, one has to be incredibly careful to not leave anyone out. The primary reasons being that missing an important stakeholder can create a gap in the planning process, and that by not inviting certain stakeholders you can burn bridges. For an initiative that can affect the student population and that requires a cohesive and comprehensive campus-wide partnership there are going to be many committee members.... [tags: University, College, Student, Academia]
2071 words (5.9 pages)
- Academic Integrity code Critical Analysis Students and Faculty at the University of North Florida are expected to be treated fairly, respect academic freedom, and behave with honesty and responsibility. The code is directed to all students and faculty, and outlines how they should respond in any case academic misconduct. In addition, the code includes a list of possible violations and penalties that may result from academic misconduct. However, students are given the right to appeal these penalties if they disagree with them, by following an appeal procedure that is provided by the university.... [tags: Academia, Academic dishonesty, University]
727 words (2.1 pages)
- “Benefit all mankind” is the South Korea’s motto. A selfless motto, for a people who have suffered from being invaded by the North Korean communists 60 years ago. Once the cease fire began in 1953 between North and South Korea, they rose from it and became the proud country that it is today. It has fast growing economy and large technology industries throughout Asia. Also it has a modern democracy, and recently elected their first female president, Park Geun-hye. This shows that South Korea demonstrates stability and rapid growth every day and the U.S.... [tags: Environmentalism, Environment, North Korea, Korea]
1178 words (3.4 pages)
- It’s no secret that college is expensive, student’s spend thousands of dollars on college tuition and textbooks to attain their desired degree. Throughout our college career we as students dig ourselves into debts and student loans, once we graduate we are left with a burden to bare. With how much it cost to further our education, is college really worth it. College is not worth the financial burden, it isn’t worth the average 23,000 dollar debt. Many of us choose to go through with college regardless of price because a rich fulfilling education is the best thing an individual could ever receive, but only one in three individuals believe their college education is worth the money.... [tags: Education, University, Higher education, Debt]
867 words (2.5 pages)
- In the United States most students can expect to pay above premium prices when enrolling for college classes. This explains why one of the first aspects prospective students contemplate is finding an institution that is affordable. When examining the strengths of the College of Central Florida it is evident that there are three crucial proponents that contribute to its superiority, in comparison to its counterparts. First, by implementing a cost leadership strategy not only is the tuition at the College of Central Florida feasible, but it is classified as one of the cheapest colleges to attend in the state of Florida.... [tags: University, Student, Florida, Education]
961 words (2.7 pages)