Software reliability is defined as the probability of failure-free software operation for a specified period of time in a specified environment.
The determination of software reliability indices is the primary task in the software reliability engineering. The indices are taken as not only the basis for the software reliability design and the constraints during the software development process, but also the foundation of the software’s acceptance.
Software reliability indices are usually divided into Quantitative Indices and Qualitative Indices.
Quantitative indices are quantified software reliability parameters’ values, such as software reliability is quantitatively defined as the probability of failure free operation of a software program for a specified time under specified conditions. However, having a “number”, even with the appropriate accompanying evidence, is not generally sufficient to convince customers or even the system/software suppliers that the software satisfies its requirements. Thus, qualitative indices such as software reliability is also qualitatively defined as a set of attributes that bear on the capability of software to maintain its level of performance under stated conditions for a stated period of time.
A Study method for determining the software reliability qualitative indices based on the two standards of SAE-JA1003 and RTCA D...
... middle of paper ...
3. C. Akalya devi, K. E. Kannammal and B. Surendiran, A Hybrid Feature Selection Model For Software Fault Prediction, International Journal on Computational Sciences & Applications (IJCSA) Vol2, No.2, April 2012,
4. J.D. Musa, Anthony Iannino and Kazuhira Okumoto, Software reliability: measurement, prediction, application, New York: McGraw-Hill, 1987
5. GJB 1909.1-1994, The general principle of parameters selection on Equipment reliability, maintainability and indices determination requirements. Beijing: Defense Science, Technology and Industry Committee, 1994.
6. M.Y. LU , “Study on Software Reliability Parameters”, Journal of Beijing University Of Aeronautics And Astronautics, 2001, vol. 27, no. 2, pp.241-244,
7. Xuemei Zhang, Hoang Pham, An analysis of factors affecting software reliability, The Journal of Systems and Software 50 (2000).
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- With every project in software development it inevitably becomes necessary to organize the best practices and procedures for developing the software into a process. The eventual quality of the end product, not to mention the correctness with regards to the stated requirements, will depend on the effectiveness of this process. How mature this process is or how well the process provides a framework for development determines the eventual quality of the end product. In the 1970s when software started to revolutionalize the way we live it became necessary to develop a process improvement model to handle the best practices and procedures that guide the SDLC.... [tags: software development]
810 words (2.3 pages)
- Reflection: Technology: It is the collection of tools, including machinery, modifications, arrangements and procedures. Examples: information technology, construction engineering and medical engineering Software development life cycle The software development life cycle is also known as software development performance. SDLC is a structure which is compulsory for development of software products. Unified Process It is a popular iterative and incremental software development process framework. The best-known and extensively documented refinement of the Unified Process.... [tags: Computer, Computer program, Computer software]
766 words (2.2 pages)
- BSc (Hons) Business Computing (Level 4) Software Engineering : Page 3: Introduction to the Assignment Page 4: Task 1, The Software Crisis Page 5: Task 1, Design the Website Site Objectives Page 6: Task 1, Design the Website Format and Structure Navigation Page 7: Task 1, Design the Website Layout Page 8: Task 1, Design the Website Storyboard Page 9: Task1, Design the Website Shop Design Page 10: Task 1, Design the Website About Us How To Find Us Design Conclusion Page 11: Task 2, Implement the Website Site Code and Licensing Page 11: Task 3, Test the Website Functionality Testing User Environment Page 12: Task 3, Test the Website Links & Navigation Content Page 13: Task 4, Acce... [tags: The Software Crisis, Business Computing, Website]
1012 words (2.9 pages)
- "Technology makes it possible for people to gain control over almost everything, except technology." - John Tudor Our mission as Software Developers is to develop technology-based solutions-products that provide both the means and the methods for faster working, better performance and to achieve more. The technologies we develop provide users the control and functionality needed to be more efficient. The Software development field has grown with exponential rate. New products are coming to market daily.... [tags: technology, software developer]
778 words (2.2 pages)
- Introduction Living in the age of technology it has become much easier for businesses to expand at a global level. Businesses having websites and applications are becoming more and more common. As you can imagine when it comes to different countries and cultures, people tend to like and dislike different things. When it comes to languages, even same speaking countries tend to differ in dialect and have tendencies. The process of Software localization is to adapt the software to the cultural, linguistic and technical requirements of a target market.... [tags: adapting software to local needs and culture]
1713 words (4.9 pages)
- The contemporary world is indeed an information society. Computer technologies pervade virtually all aspects of human life today: at home, in hospitals, at school, in the office, or in the industries. More and more novel technologies continue to be added on the already existing ones. While the technological aspects are important, the human factors in the development of the software sued in these technologies have been overlooked. Human factors are an essential aspect of the software development process in order to ensure user safety, and ease of use.... [tags: Human-centered Software]
2676 words (7.6 pages)
- 1. Introduction:- The development of good quality software is very important factor in software industry . Medical software of medical devices with embedded software and decision support system can have great affect on the supply of patient care . A good quality software with poor management practices will never give very good quality of services. Hospital industry and telecom industry are facing challenges in terms of managing software .... [tags: software industry, risk management]
1571 words (4.5 pages)
- Software Maintenance and Change Control Process Introduction to Software Maintenance and Change Control Process Software maintenance process is a topic that probably comes up in most organizations and is an important one to address. Once software is created there are usually changes or bugs that are found causes there to be a need for maintenance. It is important to have a process in place that helps to define how these items are handled and the path they take to completion. Using different tools to log these changes, requests, or bugs will is important to keep things organized and allows for proper tracking of these items.... [tags: Software Technology]
1896 words (5.4 pages)
- II. USER’S INVOLVEMENT It is an old practice to acquire the requirements of the user and then going to write the code for that. Its drawback is that the users are out of touch with the development team and when all the work is done then if a user complains then it becomes very difficult for the developer to fix the things rightly. But now-a-days it is very helpful in getting the users involved in the testing procedures of the software development. It is better that the user tell us about any flaws in the software development and the features which he wants rather than completing the software and debugging it later.... [tags: Software engineering, Software development process]
2021 words (5.8 pages)
- System/Software Process and Quality Factors Quality Factors System quality factors are important to both hardware and software applications. Several factors must be considered when addressing hardware and software quality. Factors such as functionality, reliability, usability, efficiency, maintainability, and portability are among the considerations. Functionality and reliability quality factors can potentially affect other components of system quality. Thorough quality assurance programs can help ensure quality and overall system efficiency.... [tags: Software Engineering Programming]
1219 words (3.5 pages)