Teachers assess a child’s strengths and weaknesses in the classroom to figure out the best way for the child to learn. The theory is that children learn in one of three ways: visually, auditorily, and kinesthetically (Fliess, Paragraph 1). So how do teachers identify students’ learning types? According to Dr. James Keefe, former director of research for the National Association of Secondary School Principals, only ten to fifteen percent of schools use formal tests to determine learning styles. Most teachers, however, especially in elementary school, observe their students closely to determine learning styles. Then the teachers use learning style strategies that individualize instruction to take advantage of each student’s learning type (Staff). Understanding a students learning style is imperative to building a strong bond between teacher and student. Once a teacher has identified the students learning style they can tailor instruction as needed. Students learn more efficiently and success...
... middle of paper ...
... n.d. Web. 19 Jan 2012. http://www.education.com/magazine/article/Ed_Learning_Working/.
Fox , Jenifer . "10 Tips for Discovering Your Child's Strengths. Paragraphs 2,10. " Huffpost Healthy Living . N.p., 16 Sep 2009 . Web. 19 Jan 2012.
Olsen , Tillie . I Stand Here Ironing . 6th ed. New York : McGraw-Hill, 2007. 706-710. Print.
Staff, Eduguide . "Types of Learning Style. Paragraph 2 ." EduGuide . N.p., n.d. Web. 19 Jan 2012.
"Understanding Your Child's Uniqueness. Paragraph 2." U of A Division of Agrictulture . N.p., 30 Nov 2011. Web. 19 Jan 2012. http://www.arfamilies.org/family_life/parenting/insight/understanding_childs_uniquens s.htm
Walker, Alice. Everyday Use. 6th ed. New York : McGraw-Hill, 2007. 743-749. Print.
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- Strengths and Weaknesses Every career requires specific soft skills in order to consider pursuing degree in that specific field. As a psychology major, some of the soft skills I need are Communication, Time management and Critical thinking. It’s very important for me to be fascinated with what I do in order to help others. The reason I picked these three soft skills is because having these skills can make me a great psychologist. Communication is required in every field of career, jobs or any sort of workplace.... [tags: Critical thinking, Thought, Psychology, Mind]
898 words (2.6 pages)
- The ability to be self-aware, identify specific personality traits, and assess personal strengths and weaknesses are powerful tools for lifelong personal and professional success. One of the most popular and trusted personality assessment tools utilized today is the Myers-Briggs Type Indicator (CPP, 2016). According to Meyers-Briggs Personality test my personality type is ESFJ also known as “The Caregiver.” An ESFJ is one of 13 personality types identified through the Myers-Briggs assessment tool (HumanmetricsInc, 2016).... [tags: Myers-Briggs Type Indicator]
1499 words (4.3 pages)
- Assessment testing is done to disclose strengths and weaknesses about our personality. Below I have addressed several sections regarding my personal self, how I work with others, and finally, life in organizations. Understanding how to control strengths, and realizing our weaknesses are not a negative, but an opportunity to grow in God 's love to glorify His kingdom. What about Me. Personality Insight The Myers-Brigg Type Indicator revealed I was an extreme extrovert. Receiving the same four letters (ESTJ) in the Jungian personality test, I am reminded of the great attributes such as being assertive, dependable, persistent and responsible.... [tags: Maslow's hierarchy of needs]
1294 words (3.7 pages)
- “What is known about each child as an individual-referring to what practitioners learn about each child has implications for how best to adapt and be responsive to that individual variation.” An effective teacher makes it a priority to understand the individual child in an effort to guide them successfully. There are several methods available to assist teachers in better understanding the children in their classroom. For example, observation, examination of the child’s work and talking with the children’s family are helpful methods and provide valuable information to the teacher.... [tags: Knowledge, Understanding, Learning]
932 words (2.7 pages)
- Although the male parent is concerned that his daughter Felicia is not learning enough at Rosewood school, his message is greatly undermined by his poor delivery, and disparaging remarks toward a faculty member. The parent also fails to see his daughter’s own role in the matter, which he conveniently explains away. The man’s conference paper veers off topic when he shares personal information, which serves no purpose. His conference paper does have shortcomings, but the man does make some good arguments that will be examined as well.... [tags: Logic, Critical thinking, The Reader, Argument]
1472 words (4.2 pages)
- Most people use the dimensions leadership and management synonymously on the basis that they both hold some degree of authority. Likewise, I had never thought of where Unilever would be today if it was managed by Nelson Mandela. I pondered on why this Pan-African worth more of a leader than a manager when I read Peter Drucker’s quote; “Management is doing things right; leadership is doing right things.” Using Peter’s thoughts, I would like to demonstrate that although there are similarities between management and leadership, there two terms are distinctive by applying leadership concepts such as pleasing the masses, everyday leadership and understanding yourself.... [tags: authority, strengths, weaknesses]
1014 words (2.9 pages)
- Prior to this semester, I had never tutored a student individually in a school system. These tutoring sessions were just as invaluable to me as they were to my student. I was able to obtain knowledge and experience that will help me in the upcoming years as a teacher. I recognize that as a teacher, it is unlikely that I will be able to have the opportunity to spend much one on one time with all of my students; but I learned that it is imperative to make a special effort to consider each students’ individual needs while preparing a lesson.... [tags: Sentence, Question, Reading comprehension]
1124 words (3.2 pages)
- When it comes to my schoolwork, I tend to be extremely conscientious, diligent, and ambitious. A few of my academic strengths are my organizational skills and ability to think critically. A weakness that I have is test taking; while taking tests I become nervous, and forget the information. I become upset with myself if I earn a C on a test or in a class. Then I consider what I could have done differently to receive a higher grade and apply it to future assignments. I react this way when it comes to my studies, because my dad used to get upset with us if we received anything below a B in specific subjects.... [tags: Education, High school, Teacher, School]
1046 words (3 pages)
- In this assignment I am going to describe a child observation that I have done in a nursery for twenty minutes in a play setting. I will explain the strengths and weaknesses of naturalistic observation through the key developmental milestones based in Mary Sheridan (2005) check-list and provide a theoretical explanation to support the naturalistic observation. First of all I would like to explain why the child observation is important for social workers. It is important because it focus on the problems that arise when a child‘s situation is not taken seriously and consequently have harsh consequences for both worker and child (Climbié Report, 2002).... [tags: Child Development ]
999 words (2.9 pages)
- Personal Strengths and Weaknesses A reason that this country works well is that everyone has diverse abilities which can contribute to everyday life. Some people let those abilities shine at work, in their personal life or both. As people have their strengths, they also have their weaknesses. There is a problem to improve those weaknesses when the weakness is not identified. Once the weak point is identified it needs to be resolved. A plan of action for improvement helps in solving the situation.... [tags: essays research papers]
945 words (2.7 pages)