Kanye Omari West, an icon of hip-hop, pop culture, fashion and music in general. Kanye Omari West, a person belittled against and a person subjected to a life of racism and hate. Born on June 8th, 1977, Donda West, West’s mother, always knew he was destined for greatness, but did she know her son would turn out to be the Kanye West, a man lacking the respect he deserves for transforming a big part of the music we listen to on this very day? West came onto the scene in the late nineties but didn’t release The College Dropout until 2004, an album that took everybody by surprise. Kanye West changed the gangster filled rap genre by releasing his positive, soulful debut album, changing the way rappers dress, and paving the way for a whole new style of introspective lyrics and soul-inspired rap production in the mainstream.
When West first showed up (late 90s and early 2000s), the world was a different place. Fans of the genre were most likely listening to gangster-rap, artists like: Jay Z, Notorious B.I.G, 50 Cent, Tupac, Ice Cube, Eazy E, N.W.A, Wu-Tang, Nate Dogg, Dr. Dre, and Snoop Dogg (Best Gangsta Rappers), the kind of music that dominated mainstream rap at the time. Rappers and fans of rap were mostly in a gangster-influenced mind state. West was foreign to the idea of being a “thug” or a “gangster”. West grew up in an average house while his mom made good money working as a professor in the English department at Chicago State University. He was well educated and attracted to more preppy fashions- sport coats, polo shirts, and sunglasses, quite the contrary to what other rappers were wearing in those times. Like many rappers, West wrote about his daily experiences, experiences majorly ...
... middle of paper ...
"Best Gangsta Rappers." Ranker. N.p., n.d. Web. 02 Apr. 2014.
Lynne, Douglas. Kanye West: Grammy-winning Hip-hop Artist & Producer. Minneapolis, MN: ABDO, 2013. Print.
"The 10 Best Songs Produced By Kanye West." Rap Dose RSS. N.p., n.d. Web. 02 Apr. 2014.
"Kanye West." PEOPLE.com. N.p., n.d. Web. 31 Mar. 2014.
"Polo Ralph Lauren." Complex.com. N.p., n.d. Web. 31 Mar. 2014.
"Kanye West: The Evolution of an Icon's Clothes." Esquirecom Article. N.p., n.d. Web. 31 Mar. 2014.
C.M., Emmanuel. "Kanye West Says He Is The Most Influential Person In Fashion Of The Last 10 Years." XXL. N.p., n.d. Web. 31 Mar. 2014.
The Editors of Encyclopædia Britannica. "Kanye West (American Producer and Rapper)." Encyclopedia Britannica Online. Encyclopedia Britannica, n.d. Web. 31 Mar. 2014.
Agard, Chancellor. The Daily Beast. Newsweek/Daily Beast, n.d. Web. 02 Apr. 2014.
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- “WHICH ONE,” shouts the lettering on the alternate cover to Kanye West’s new album. Its boldface type and repetitive hammering reads less like a question and more like a blunt statement - and no matter how unusual or unimportant it may seem, it offers an adequate representation of this album and Kanye West in general. There’s almost no denying that West is a narcissist and/or egomaniac - he has supplied evidence a thousand times, on his Twitter and in real life. But in spite of - and perhaps because of - his flawed personality, West is the most influential figure in music, period, the turn of the century.... [tags: Hip hop music, Hip hop, Kanye West]
1223 words (3.5 pages)
- I was twelve when I first heard the name “Kanye West”. He was featured in a song I rather liked at the time called “Forever” and whilst discussing the song with my friend one afternoon I remarked: “I like Kayne (pronounced like citizen Kane) West’s verse as well” “It’s pronounced ‘Kan-Ye’’ he corrected me with a chuckle. A year later West popped into my life again. I was talking with my aunt about current events, to the extent a thirteen year old can discuss such a thing, and she asked me with a slightly disarming fervor if I was a Kanye West fan.... [tags: Kanye West, The College Dropout, Thought, Jay-Z]
2063 words (5.9 pages)
- “Kanye Ran onto the stage saying, ‘I'm sorry, but Beyoncé had one of the best videos of all time!’” (Top 10 Outrageous Kanye West Moments), says Kanye West at the 2009 MTV Video Music Awards after Taylor Swift had just won “Best Female Video.” People that are like this have typically not always been this way. They were probably raised as a polite and respectful person before they were exposed to fame and fortune, and other “celebrities,” making them feel like they are the only people on the planet.... [tags: hip hop artist, celebrities, kanye west]
1388 words (4 pages)
- Both songs, “A Tale of 2 Citiez” and “All Falls Down,” describe shortcuts to perceived success. They describe scenarios of young adults trying to obtain what they think success is by obtaining material possessions from taking shortcuts. Even with those descriptions of shortcuts people take, they do not promote the idea of achieving success through the shortcuts of obtaining material possessions to try to show others that they are successful since they both express regret and negative attributes related to those actions.... [tags: Kanye West, Syleena Johnson, The College Dropout]
1262 words (3.6 pages)
- Kanye Omari West, rapper, producer, professional celebrity, and with an ego to match, has forced himself into the limelight of the music industry. Kanye West has made a lasting impression on all of those around him, whether it be a good one or bad. With seven full length albums, a multimillion record label company, and a successful fashion business all under his belt, it’s fair to say that Kanye has done his fair share of creating. Over the last twelve years Kanye went from a young Chicago kid just trying to get his flows off, to one of the most decorated musicians of all time.... [tags: Kanye West, The College Dropout]
2615 words (7.5 pages)
- The group I would like to be apart of is G.O.O.D Music. G.O.O.D is an acronym for “Getting out our dreams.” This group is a recording label founded by Kanye West, who is also a music artists signed under G.O.O.D Music. They do have other music artists in the group such as, John Legend, Big Sean and Pusha T. Kanye west is actually the main reason why I would like to join the label. Throughout this paper I 'm going to address who Kanye West is, what I can learn from being in the group, and why I think I fit well with G.O.O.D Music.... [tags: Kanye West, The College Dropout, GOOD Music]
953 words (2.7 pages)
- “I’m a God” Everybody says who they are and what they are but that’s just being there self and telling others that you are who you are. Kanye West the most influential rapper thinks he is a “god” or tries to connect himself into god. He said he doesn’t have any explanation on it but he said that he is “the number one rapper on this planet” and everybody should respect him. West is also an artist/fashion designer, which he have struggled a lot, he compares himself to Michael Jackson by saying his struggle to break into fashion is like when Michael Jackson was fighting to get his videos on MTV , and he wants to change the whole system of fashion and be the major fashion designer.... [tags: fashion, rapper, songs]
927 words (2.6 pages)
- ... Rather than allow herself to be assaulted by Gus, she throws herself to her death. A spiral of events occurs which then ends with a state militia (led by the mulatto protégé of a local Congressman) clashes with the Ku Klux Klan (portrayed by the film as heroic figures), with the Klan being ultimately victorious. ((InfoRapid). Although Kanye West did not sexuality abuse a white woman, he did become the victim in an event that lead him to be the most hated person on a television program. Another known fact about the Black Buck is that they reflect white society’s fears about black male power, and the fear that black men might brutalize and rape white women a s retribution against white sla... [tags: sterotype, druckness, outspokenness]
2016 words (5.8 pages)
- Kanye West has produced works that many interpret as exhibiting the struggle of black identity in the post-modern era. In, Twisted Fantasy he could be interpreted as exploring what is known to the Self in juxtaposition to what is unknown, if the ideas he were presenting were to transcend the disconnected chaos of society. Kanye West is world renowned for his somewhat dark lyrics and the prolific imagery of his music videos. He has always gone for the shock value, in music and the real world. While West presents images that are startling, he is reflecting society with a noticeable lack of original thought while at the same time not addressing root causes for the desolation he portrays.... [tags: Lyrics, Music, Music Videos, Hip Hop]
1158 words (3.3 pages)
- Singer/Songwriter for this Era He may just seem like another rapper to you but if you actually listen to his lyrics you can see he’s not like any rapper out there. His name is Kanye West and he was born in Chicago Illinois. He grew up in the “ghetto” and learned to appreciate life. He didn’t learn to really, truly appreciate life until October of 2002. Driving back to his hotel late one night after a recording session, the new-coming rap/hip-hop artist was involved in a devastating, near fatal car accident.... [tags: essays research papers]
596 words (1.7 pages)