For many years now women have made great changes in their lives. Women have come so far from the past when they were simply just property, to now being almost equal to men. In today 's society if a woman wants something she can get it, but does that include love? Love is such a broad topic that has been written about for so long now you would think there would not be anything left to be said. On the contrary, because women 's roles have changed so much there is a whole new topic of love to be addressed. Today 's women are not raised to get married, and have a family right away anymore. They instead are raised to grow up to get an education, and a career. So again, where does that leave love? Some women like in the poem “Heroics” by Julia Alvarez are stuck dreaming of love, but staying in their comfort zone because of the fear of getting hurt. Other women like in the song “Revival” by Selena Gomez want to break out of that comfort zone, and shine bright as the sun because only if you have been hurt once before does not mean you have to be hurt again.
In the poem “Heroics” by Julia Alvarez the speaker comes off as a strong, and educated individual. It is unclear who exactly may be speaking, but it is clear what they are speaking about, and their state of mind. The speaker understands where she stands in life, but she cannot help but notice that there is something missing that is making her feel melancholy. After searching for meaning from different sources like “god, and revolution in the third world”(Alvarez) she finally realizes that what she has been looking for all of this time was love. Although she does make you wonder how seriously she wants it because she does not ever mention anything about what ...
... middle of paper ...
...p learning that women can do anything in today’s world. Not that you cannot grow up like that in Latin countries, but it is a lot less common. Learning a little about both of their backgrounds teaches the readers possibly why they wrote what they did.
Love can be something that is hard to find and even more difficult to keep, both of these poems demonstrate that in their own unique way. Alvarez shows a woman who is in search of love, but not doing much to actually find it. Gomez creates a picture of a woman that has been hurt by love, but is not letting that stop her from living her life, and continuing to finding new love. There is no right way of looking for love as a woman. Reading both poems can give women the reassurance of other women feeling the same way. Love is such a common topic for poems in general, but that may only be because there is so much to learn.
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
Exploring Different Types of Love in Three Poems: A Woman to Her Lover, When We Two Parted and First Love
- Exploring Different Types of Love in Three Poems: A Woman to Her Lover, When We Two Parted and First Love There is a wide variety of the types of love with different aspects to the effects and meaning of love. This makes it harder to define them. There is your first love, which is the first person who have fell in love with properly, you can be any age, young or old, you r past relationships have been flings or you may just thought you found the right one and hadn't. There is emotional love, where you care for someone more than anything else.... [tags: Papers]
1735 words (5 pages)
- Types Of Women In Love. For many years now women have made great changes in their lives. Women have come so far from the past when they were simply just property, to now being almost equal to men. In today 's society if a woman wants something she can get it, but does that include love. Love is such a broad topic that has been written about for so long now you would think there would not be anything left to be said. On the contrary, because women 's roles have changed so much there is a whole new topic of love to be addressed.... [tags: Love, Poetry, Woman, Romance]
1549 words (4.4 pages)
- The Merriam Webster dictionary defines love as “a feeling of strong or constant affection for a person” - however, this does not encompass a fraction of the feeling a person has when he or she loves something. Because the sensation differs from one person to the next, there is no possible way to accurately define love. However, it is possible to try to understand love by breaking it down into several categories. Humans have been pondering this idea for centuries, with one of the earliest examples being found in the Christian Bible.... [tags: twelfth night, shakespeare, love, orsino]
1426 words (4.1 pages)
- In Frantz Fanon’s couple chapters, “The Woman of Color and the White Man” and “The Man of Color and the White Woman”, within his novel Black Skin, White Masks, the reader is introduced to the sexual and psychological relations between interracial couples. Fanon analysis these themes through the use of the assumed autobiographical works of authors such as Mayotte Capécia, Abdoulaye Sadji, and René Maran, in order to demonstrate the theory that a person’s race determines their real reasons for entering interracial relations.... [tags: Black people, Race, Racism, Race]
1806 words (5.2 pages)
- Two Types of Love in Plato's Symposium I have always thought that there was only one type of love, which was that feeling of overwhelming liking to someone else. I am aware that Lust does exist and that it is separate from Love, being that the desire for someone's body rather their mind. In Plato's Symposium, Plato speaks of many different types of love, loves that can be taken as lust as well. He writes about seven different points of view on love coming from the speakers that attend the symposium in honor of Agathon.... [tags: Plato Symposium Essays]
1223 words (3.5 pages)
- The growth of one woman interferes with one man’s idea of being able to conquer Woman. The two main characters of the book Ladies’ Paradise named Denise and Mouret have a unique sense of love, if it really even is “love.” She is very shy and unattainable while he is charismatic and lives a greatly successful life. Her unordinary attitude creeps into Mouret’s mind, causing him to desire her at an extreme amount. Mouret is not able to conquer Denise in the same way that he does women in his department store which defeats his conquest of Woman.... [tags: Woman, Childbirth, Female, Women]
1567 words (4.5 pages)
- What is the perfect women. According to society, it is someone that is size zero, tall, and is found on the front page of a magazines or found on television. Teenage girls, preteen girls see these perfect women and want to become them. This is the society in which we live now. This is what the documentary in class talked about. It showed that that in society we still betray women as the weaker sex’s. Woman still get lesser pay, objectified as objects, and have less of chance for advancing their career.... [tags: Gender, Woman, Female, Gender role]
1017 words (2.9 pages)
- The Different Types of Love Expressed by Pre-1914 Poets These 3 poems are completely different to each other. Porphyria’s Lover is obsessive and violent love, How Do I Love Thee. Is more of an undying love and the poem Remember is more like truthful love. In this essay I’ll take each poem and in a sentence or two explain the type of love that each poem demonstrates. I’ll also use quotations to show each of my poems shows a different type of love. The poem Porphyria’s Lover portrays the type of love in a sexual and passionate way.... [tags: Poetry Love Poems Literature Essays]
859 words (2.5 pages)
- The Importance of Education in a Woman's Life In Girl, by Jamaica Kincaid, a mother gives advice to her young daughter about many different issues in life. The mother shows love and family togetherness by educating her daughter with her beliefs and experiences that she's encountered throughout her life. The mother very blatantly tells her daughter things she must not do in order to not be called a "slut." There are many things a young girl must learn when she is becoming a woman. There is no better teacher than her mother.... [tags: Girl Woman Education]
590 words (1.7 pages)
- Types of a Mothers Love A mother's love for her children is supposed to be something that never dies. The problem is, this 'love' can be expressed in many ways. Sometimes, the love is shown in such a way that there is no doubt that this woman would do anything for her offspring. Sometime, this love can be viewed, as a way that that the mother is trying to mold her daughter into what she believes is the 'right' way to behave. Other times, the mother is trying her best to make sure that her child is doing HER best.... [tags: Papers]
816 words (2.3 pages)