The controversial book that I chose for this assignment is Two of Everything written by Babette Cole. This book is about two siblings, Demetrius and Paula Ogglebutt, who have parents who always argue and never seem to agree on anything; they are always playing childish tricks on one another. Demetrius and Paula decide to have a meeting at school for anyone who has problem parents, too. They discover that they are not the only ones. They come up with the perfect solution to stop their parents from bickering. They decide to plan an “un-wedding.” They have a big celebration and they invite the minister to come and undo their parents wedding vows. This book is controversial because it talks about the topic of divorce. This book should be read in all schools it is informational, accepting, and beneficial for all children to be informed of this topic because it is important to include and support all children and not put them aside because of their differences.
Being informed about the topic of divorce is significant because acknowledging the topic helps one understand and be open minded. According to Lisa Haddid, Kenneth D. Phillips, and J. Michael Bones, authors of the article called, “High-Conflict Divorce: A Review Of The Literature.” They mention in this article is about the many challenges children face during their parents divorce. Some of the challenges children face are ….
It mentions the long-term effects of divorce on children, parents, and extended family and friends can be devastating for years. High levels of conflict between parents during and after a divorce have a significant impact on the psychological functioning and development of a child.
According to the video, “Children and ...
... middle of paper ...
...orce and are often exposed to new types of family structures.
Kramer and Smith advise one strategy that can help children with divorce and it is the use of bibliotherapy.
This book is essential and should be read in every classroom. It is important to include, accept, and be aware of divorce. There are many children who are experiencing the effects of divorce and it is important to be able to support them, and to have them feel cared for during this process and not excluded or isolated. It is more common now to find children who have divorced parents and I concur that being aware and open minded to this topic can help many children express their thoughts and feelings; it will help them feel comfortable to talk about divorce. I firmly agree that being informed, accepting, and open minded about divorce can definitely help become aware and understanding of the topic.
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- After their wedding, everything was perfect. The two girls experienced pregnancy together and that allowed them to talk and comfort each other through the struggles of motherhood. Luckily both of their pregnancies were healthy and flawless. Today was Lexi’s due date and Logan was nervous and excited. He woke up early and looked at her laying in the bed. He looked at her stomach, admiring its perfect roundness. Just looking at her stomach stirred pride within him. His leopard roared with pride, knowing that he would meet his pup today.... [tags: English-language films, Pregnancy]
902 words (2.6 pages)
- Your friend just announced she is getting married -- again. What could you possibly give someone who has everything. If the bride or groom-to-be has been married before, they probably already have at least some of the traditional registry items. They may have a blender, a coffee maker, a tea kettle. For a second wedding, the guest list may be quite limited -- just family and very close friends. There may not be a bridal shower or traditional engagement party, so the opportunity to give the couple a gift might seem remote.... [tags: Wedding, Marriage, Family, Alimony]
711 words (2 pages)
- A Hindu Wedding Day Introduction: A brides wedding day is a day she has dreamed about her whole life and she will remember this day for the rest of her life. There is a lot of effort that goes into planning that special day. You have already found a groom now it’s time to prepare everything else. You need to plan the perfect outfit, make sure the food is perfectly cooked, and you need to make sure every step of the ceremony goes like planned. Hindu wedding are a festival or color and excitement.... [tags: Marriage, Family, Wedding, English-language films]
810 words (2.3 pages)
- What I know and What I Want to Find Out "I now pronounce you husband and wife. You may now kiss the bride." Weddings are when two people vow to each other come together, I have been dreaming and planning mine since I was 10 years old. I thought weddings were a celebration and just full of fun, but to get there you have to go through all the planning and the getting ready. Four Weddings and Say Yes to the Dress, (two of my favorite wedding shows), have taught me a lot about all the different weddings and how they are set up.... [tags: Marriage, Wedding, Want, English-language films]
1933 words (5.5 pages)
- My Fairytale Wedding Six months of planning of intense wedding planning is what it took to day the most magical day of my life. I had to plan everything from the colors to the one song we would choose to have our first dance to. While planning and stressing out over all the details I never stopped to think about what it was going to all be put together. Since I was a little girl I have had so many things that I have wanted to have on my wedding day, well I got them all and then some with the man of my dreams.... [tags: Marriage, Wedding, 2006 albums]
1186 words (3.4 pages)
- It 's my wedding day, and I 've overslept. There 's no time for primping, or even showering. I roll on deodorant, throw my gown over my head and run to the church. When I arrive, my dress is speckled with mud. The organist has settled in the choir loft; the guests are nestled in their pews. The photographer must have overslept, too, because my dad is pressing a distant relative with a disposable camera into service. I refuse to accept the gravity of the situation, opting instead to repeat the refrain that has soothed me countless times over these seven months of planning: "Everything will be just fine." I peer down the aisle.... [tags: Wedding, White wedding, Wedding dress, Dresses]
1858 words (5.3 pages)
- Muriel’s Wedding Desperate for acceptance and a loving husband, Muriel Heslop (Toni Collette) armed with $12,000 stolen from her lifeless family embarks on a life-altering journey. Together, with her new-found friend, Rhonda Epinstalk (Rachel Griffiths) Muriel endures the ups and downs of being the opposite of a feminine, popular woman. Porpoise Spit—a small Australian suburban town near the sea that is built upon 90s stereotypes. The typical supressed housewife, the strong, independent husband and their children that are prime examples of stereotypical lazy, Australian bogans.... [tags: Muriel's Wedding, ABBA, Toni Collette]
914 words (2.6 pages)
- Humorous Wedding Speech – Two Best Men Good afternoon Ladies and Gentlemen - My name is Steve and this is my partner in crime, Scot. We are the best men today, famed for our double act. Some people may even say we were artists, but I think you'll all realize what kind of artists we are later on this evening. Now, I’d like to think that Gary chose Scott and me to be joint best men so that we could both be by his side on his wedding day. However, Scott reckons Gary only picked us for the wedding photos.... [tags: Wedding Toasts Roasts Speeches]
715 words (2 pages)
- Humorous Wedding Speech – Two Best Men Good evening Ladies and Gentlemen. For those of you that are wondering why there are two best men standing up here, it’s perfectly simple. Arthur wanted to appoint a best man for the occasion, but sadly couldn’t find one, so he got two barely competent ones instead. So before I start, let me clarify the ‘role’ situation. Dennis, Arthur’s university friend and very trustworthy, was responsible for carrying the rings in church. I am Steve, Arthur’s childhood friend and very good with lager (beer).... [tags: Wedding Toasts Roasts Speeches]
784 words (2.2 pages)
- Wedding Speech Delivered by the Groom Well , what can I say, Thankyou for those kind words Alan and I hope $20 was enough. I recently read somewhere that a survey had been conducted of things that people fear most, and top of the list above things like spiders and heights, was the fear of standing up and making a speech in public. I'm no different, suffice to say that this isn't the first time today I've risen from a warm seat with a piece of paper in my hand. MANY PEOPLE Many people thought this day would never come.... [tags: Wedding Toasts Roasts Speeches]
756 words (2.2 pages)
- Personal View On The End Of Life Good And Honorable Death
- The Making Of Machiavelli 's The Prince
- The High School Students, No Air Conditioning And Can We Talk Bathrooms?
- Colonialism On Race And Ethnicity
- Ethics And Corporate Responsibility Of The Workplace And The World
- The Main Points Of The Symbolic Interactionism