There were significant differences in the means in co-worker support between the US and Russia with Russia having the lower mean score for co-worker support then the US. In Russia it remains unclear as to whether this is the result of the differing levels of Hofstede’s culture dimension of collectivism versus individualism. In Russia individualism is 39 and in the United States it is 91 (http://geert-hofstede.com/russia.html). Perhaps co-worker support is important but it is also expected and perhaps not recognized as contributing what it actually does. This is supported by the indirect effect that co-work...
... middle of paper ...
...ment to reduce turnover by addressing the antecedents will have varying degrees of success. The variance explain in each country is different thus actions will not have equal effects. Management of the new Western owned hotels being built in Russia need to understand that management styles used in the US may have the same impact in Russia as they do in the US.
Limitations of the Study
This study suffers from many of the common criticisms of survey research. It represents a point in time in two countries thus; its generalizability may be limited. The data collection method of snowball may be subject to bias although we did not control in any way who received the survey and the invitations to participate were not biased in any way we can identify. The sample appears consistent in demographics with other similar studies and published industry data in both countries.
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- The Bubba Gump Shrimp Company, a national chain of franchised seafood restaurants, prides itself on great customer service and affordable high-quality food, and knows that to meet their goals, they need a culture that attracts and retains the best employees (Bubba Gump Shrimp Company, 2011). In an industry notorious for high employee turnover and low job satisfaction (Prewitt, 2000), the Bubba Gump Shrimp Company reduced “management turnover from 36% to 16% in 2 years” (Aamodt, 2010, p. 397). What intervention opportunities exist for restaurant operators to reduce turnover of both managers and restaurant staff and more importantly, what resulting performance improvements can operators expec... [tags: Human Resources]
1619 words (4.6 pages)
- The hospitality is taken from the term ‘hospice’, meaning a house of rest for pilgrims during medieval times (Grottola, 1988). Hospitality may be defined as the reception of guest and catering to their needs and expectations, these may include food, beverage, lodging, and transportation, activities/Entertainment, shopping and supporting services. Hospitality entails a mixture of tangible and intangible factors that include the behaviors of employees and make available for guest’s security, psychological and physiological comfort (Brotherton, 1999).... [tags: Hotel, Hospitality industry, Lodging, Yahoo!]
864 words (2.5 pages)
- 1.) Americatel is positioned within the small to mid-sized market in the telecommunications sector. However, their primary competitors Movistar and Claro compete within the large-sized market. With only 10% overall market share, Americatel has the potential to capture additional growth as the industry growth rate is growing at 6%. To accomplish this we recommend that Americatel own their position in the small to mid-sized market by capitalizing on their competitive advantage of providing superior customer service as well as leveraging new solutions to further drive customer satisfaction.... [tags: Customer service, Sales, Customer]
877 words (2.5 pages)
- Acknowledgement I am highly indebted to Beijing Carrefour Chaoyang store for their guidance and constant supervision as well as for providing necessary information regarding the project & also for their support in completing the project. I would like to express my gratitude towards general manager Mr. Zhang and HR director Mrs. Li from Carrefour Chaoyang store, for their kind co-operation and encouragement which help me in completion of this project. My thanks and appreciations also go to my supervisor Dr.... [tags: Motivation, Maslow's hierarchy of needs]
1712 words (4.9 pages)
- ... Means a leading quality of customer service must be provided to give high end service to each and every customer and exceed their expectations. According by (Rohanda Abrams 2004 p 61) the specific component high end service will draw customer attention that will allow them to become loyal and trustworthy of the company. We aim to achieve high rank customer awareness that will affect our brand in target markets. The objectives include; 1) Our sales in the first year to have positive turnover, followed by surprising increases in second and third year, with corresponding amount increases in profitability.... [tags: travel agency, europe, service industry]
2399 words (6.9 pages)
- ... McDonald’s has one of the best recruitment histories in hiring quality staff that provides that outstanding service to consumers. Some of the methods used to recruit and be able to select is through job centers, careers fairs and through advertising. They are extremely important for McDonald’s to use effective hiring material and send clear messages to those they are aiming to target. Ages 20 or under are the most common applicants McDonalds receives on a daily basis. And for most of them McDonalds is their first job experience.... [tags: hiring, staff, customer, service, skills]
1009 words (2.9 pages)
- Turnover rates vary depending on the markets, but from the data collected we narrow some of these rates down. Service industries will mostly account for the highest turnover rates reach 35% in some cases. Examples of these would restaurants or drinking establishments. Rates then drop to about 27% in the arts and entertainment group. Retail and wholesale will be at about 22% with the health care industry, having the lowest at 20% (Krell). These industries will generally have high turnover rates because of the size of the businesses.... [tags: Employment, Management, Company, Companies]
1537 words (4.4 pages)
- FINANCIAL STATEMENT ANALYSIS In order to get a comprehensive analysis on SIA's financial statement analysis , we compared SIA's 5 financial year ending(FYE) results with the industry's average and 2 of its main competitors Cathay Pacific Airways and Qantas Airways . Cathay has been trailing closely to SIA in terms of first class cabin service and profitability for years. Qantas has long been dominating the highly profitable Kangaroo route and is ranked 5th in the world by Skytrax's survey .... [tags: Airlines Industry ]
1550 words (4.4 pages)
The Impact of Human Resource Management Practices on Employees Turnover in Banking Sector of Pakistan
- Abstract Research has shown consistently that there are different factors which predicts turnover, so this study investigates that what factors, cause employees to leave one organization and join another. Second, to find out the significant impact of each variable on turnover. It is hypothesized that human resource management practices are negatively correlated with employee turnover. In this study multiple regression analyses will be run to test a model that included the above mentioned independent variables as predictors of intent to quit in banking sector.... [tags: Human Resource Management ]
2822 words (8.1 pages)
- “Underemployment, job attitudes, and turnover intentions” by Maynard et al. discusses the concept and dimensions of underemployment and its negative psychological effects such as poor job attitudes, poor health, lower job performance, lower organizational citizenship and withdrawal behaviour (Maynard et al., 2006). Another significant negative side effect of poor job fit is the increased likelihood of employees leaving their job for one that is a better fit (Maynard et al., 2006). To illustrate these effects the authors make references to past work by other researchers as well as three studies they completed designed to measure employee perceptions of overqualification—a term related directl... [tags: Motivation, Employment, Non-profit organization]
1204 words (3.4 pages)