PCBs are contributors to the impurity of water in the environment, which is why we believe the Task Force should urge the public to use alternative, environment friendly products. Since bleached paper and dyed papers contain high levels of PCBs or chemicals related to the inadvertent production of PCBs, these types of products should be avoided as much as possible(Christie 31). The yellow legal pad is a specific example of a pigmented paper that is quite detrimental to the environment. The high levels of toxins in that specific type of yellow dye are large contributors to the PCBs that come out of recycling plants and as runoff (Christie 19). It is nearly impossible for recycling plants to remove all PCBs from the water and waste, so much of the PCBs are being cycled back into the surrounding environment. The amount of chlorine bleach used to whiten paper should be reduced because the chlorine is a component of PCBs. If less chlorine is used or a chlorine alternative, any PCBs created would be less chlorinated, therefore leading to more biodegradable PCBs (Furukawa 223). As noted in the survey we conducted, students and adults alike are willing to use alternative paper products. If the harmfulness of bleach and dyes were stressed to the public on a greater scale, we believe it would be possible to greatly decrease the number of harmful products purchased and used.
We conducted our own study to find out if people were interested in buying products that are more environmentally friendly (See figure 1). We asked if participants would be interested in buying products that are more environmentally friendly. We used Facebook to distribute our survey. We had 155 respondents (Thomson 1). We asked respondents if they wo...
... middle of paper ...
...nia, Ruby Bansal, Theresa Ortiz-Toro, Daniel Taub, and Rl Zoeller. “Individual Polychlorinated Biphenyl (PCB) Congeners Produce Tissue- and Gene-Specific Effects on Thyroid Hormone Signaling during Development.” Endocrinology 152.7 (2011) : 2909-2919. JSTOR. Web. 30 Jan. 2014.
Salama, Jacklyn, Tandra Chakraborty, Laurie Ng, and Andrea Gore. “Effects of Polychlorinated Biphenyls on Estrogen Receptor-(Beta) Expression in the Anteroventral Periventricular Nucleus.” Environmental Health Perspectives 111.10 (2003) : 1278-82. JSTOR. Web. 8 Mar. 2014.
McKinney, James, and Chris Waller. “Polychlorinated Biphenyls as Hormonally Active Structural Analogues.” Environmental Health Perspectives 102.3 (1994) : 290-7. JSTOR. Web. 8 Mar. 2014.
Key, Ellie. “Saving the Spokane: 2013 UMRC.” PowerPoint presentation. Washington State University. Pullman, WA. 16 Now 2013.
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- Why Choose Cozy Earth: Eco-Friendly Bedding Why should you choose Cozy Earth over other bed sets. Sure, it’s eco-friendly, but so are a lot of other bed sets, right. Well, many bedding companies aren’t as eco-friendly as they lead you to believe. As a matter of fact, the manufacturing process for most companies, traditional cotton and other bamboo companies alike, actually contribute to the pollution problem. However, Cozy Earth bamboo bedding is different. No matter what step in the manufacturing process you look at, Cozy Earth is environmentally conscious.... [tags: Environment, Environmentally friendly, Geology]
861 words (2.5 pages)
- Remediating the environment has been a struggle for our nation and our planet for quite some time. For all the effort and expense on the part of governments and citizens to improve the environment, many environmentalists still do not see much benefit, and believe that environmental problems may soon become a crisis. “Most ecologists would agree that humans are plowing through the Earth’s natural resources at an unsustainable rate — and pushing up against some worrisome thresholds in the biosphere.” (Raudsepp-Hearne) Perhaps the problem is that humanity has not figured out the correct incentives to solve our substantial ecological dilemma.... [tags: Encourage Eco-Friendly Behavior]
971 words (2.8 pages)
- Alan Turning: A Sad Mystery “The original question, ‘Can machines think?’ I believe to be too meaningless to deserve discussion. Nevertheless I believe that at the end of the century the use of words and general educated opinion will have altered so much that one will be able to speak of machines thinking without expecting to be contradicted…. The popular view that scientists proceed inexorably from well-established fact to well-established fact, never being influenced by any improved conjecture, is quite mistaken.... [tags: Alan Turning Enigma Biography Papers]
1970 words (5.6 pages)
- Chief Terry Mangan change to community policing of the Spokane Police Department, began on a slow approach because he didn’t have a master plan or a step by step plan on how he wanted to move into community policing. He began with approaching all levels of the police department , first he started with having the police officers problem solve more on responds to 911 calls with the help of the community.( Cordner 496) . Chief Mangam also let the citizens of Spokane be important co-producers of public safety by allowing them to become volunteers within the department .... [tags: Police, Constable, Law enforcement, The Police]
738 words (2.1 pages)
- It 's been six months since Google announced that the update of its algorithm would reward mobile-friendly websites, thus penalizing those that were not. It was on April 21, 2015 and since that day people began talking about Mobilegeddon: like all the best apocalypse stories, lots of people anticipated how search results would be shaken up, smart websites that were already mobile-optimized would have unforeseen surges, and how the bigger ones would fall. The immediate consequences: is Mobilegeddon a bluff.... [tags: Website, World Wide Web, PageRank]
1221 words (3.5 pages)
- There has always been a cruelty free presence in the product industry, but it appears that there are more companies transitioning from non-cruelty free to cruelty free. The change has taken a few years to finally come into full effect. While there are companies doing the transition to become animal friendly, there are just as many companies that refuse to cooperate and change their production. Not only does the product industry use animals to test human products on but the scientific community does so as well.... [tags: Animal testing, Testing cosmetics on animals]
1698 words (4.9 pages)
- Food is filled with Natural chemical that are essential to our health, but some foods include potentially unsafe substance called natural toxins. Most natural toxins happen naturally in just few foods and other natural toxins are produced when the food is damaged or when mould or fungi growth on the food, First natural toxins produced by fungi: Example Mycotoxins. Mycotoxins The Mycotoxins are metabolites of mould which may infect foods, animal feeds and that happen to be toxic to human. The study of Mycotoxins, and the legislation associated with their control are based on them being considered as adulterant of foods and animal feeds.... [tags: Food Science]
2002 words (5.7 pages)
- Turning Test--The beginning of Artificial Intelligence In the passed half century, Turning Test is a controversial barrier in the study of artificial intelligence. The AI program cannot achieve the satisfactory standing due to the restriction of computing chip and storage, the limitation of programming language, and the lack of creativity, which leads to an insoluble result. With the continuous development of science and technology, most problems will be solved in the future. However, some issues should be taking seriously consideration, such as ethics and morality.... [tags: Programming language, Computer, Alan Turing, Human]
1374 words (3.9 pages)
- The Truth of the Mining Toxins In this novel Animal Dreams by Barbara Kingsolver is based on two sisters figuring out where they belong in life. They grow up in a small Native Latino American city named Grace, Arizona. In this small town there is a river that runs through the town. Codi, the older sister, is a teacher at the local school. She decided to take her students to the river to look at the water under a microscope and discovered that the water is contaminated. She ended up discussing this problem with a small group called the Stich Bitch Club.... [tags: essays research papers]
1048 words (3 pages)
- A Friendly Enemy "Death is my wish for myself, my enemies, my children" (Euripedes translated by Robinson Jeffers, Medea 11). Medea is hungry for death. She wants to taste it on her lips and wishes others to do the same. The value which Medea gives death is to use it as a weapon against her enemies. On the other hand, the women and the nurse fear death. Death,to the women and to the nurse is something that should not be wished for. "O shining sky, divine earth, Harken not to the song that this woman sings" (13).... [tags: Euripedes]
511 words (1.5 pages)
- Scrutinization of Kate Chopin’s The Story of an Hour
- Worldwide Public Health Concerns: Osteoporosis
- Human Trafficking as an Expression of Evil
- Tremendous Spirit and Feminism Displayed in Charlotte Bronte’s Jane Eyre
- Herman Melville's Bartlevy, the Scrivener
- Factors that Contribute to the Development or Prevention of Osteoporosis