Her office is split into three separate entities under the space organization (GSA). Her section consists of contractor official, program mangers, leasing supervisors and procurement technicians. The first thing that caught my friend’s attention was the presence of a female dominated workplace, and with a female boss. Over in her section, there are 5 males and 5 females, with a female boss. On the other section, there are 4 males and 1 female, with a male boss. We will examine the relationship the female boss has with her subordinates in comparison to the male boss on the other section. We will leave out the third entity under the umbrella of GSA, because it does not bear fruit. For this particular research she chose to compile all her data discretely and covertly. Because she is still new to the work environment, and does not want to draw any unwanted attention to herself.
Types of Work
The women in this particular workplace have secretarial responsibilities, they make sure everything is in order and the building is functioning with all needed supplies....
... middle of paper ...
...15. Her coworker was a bit dumbfounded because she was aware that two other (white) employees recently changed their AWS. As soon as she brought that to their attention they were shocked she knew, and didn’t know how to response to that. So, after several minutes, the boss approached her black coworker and apologized for the confusion and approved her AWS.
This is a great example of conflict theory because it clearly defines a conflict between the boss and her ‘friends’ and the employee of color striving for equal treatment. This could’ve ended gravely however, her black coworker understood the chain of authority and approached the situation with confidence and evidence to back her claim of changing her AWS situation.
In this particular workplace many social norms about men and women characteristics can indicate the types of relationships they have.
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- Within our police system in America, there are gaps and loopholes that give leeway to police officials who either abuse the authority given to them or do not represent the ethical standards that they are expected to live up to. Because of the nature of police work, there is a potential for deterioration of these ethical and moral standards through deviance, misconduct, corruption, and favoritism. Although these standards are set in place, many police are not held accountable for their actions and can easily get by with the mistreatment of others.... [tags: Police Misconduct, Abuse of Authority]
2004 words (5.7 pages)
- Topic: The Truth Behind the Fashion Industry Thesis: With the unregulated practices that goes on in the Fashion Industry, change is one notion that this abusive yet glamorous business have yet to see. The Fashion Industry can be described as a glamorous world with cameras flashing, beautiful models strutting down the runway, in stunning and grand designs. What really goes on behind fashion’s dolled up doors is only an illusion compared to what reality is. Beautiful people, stylish clothing and timeless sophistication all make up the illusion of the glitz and glam of the fashion industry, but behind the curtains countless of models and designers constantly fall victim to this industry’s ever... [tags: sexual abuse, racism]
1046 words (3 pages)
- Authority cannot exist without obedience. Society is built on this small, but important concept. Without authority and its required obedience, there would only be anarchy and chaos. But how much is too much, or too little. There is a fine line between following blindly and irrational refusal to obey those in a meaningful position of authority. Obedience to authority is a real and powerful force that should be understood and respected in order to handle each situation in the best possible manner.... [tags: Authority]
1815 words (5.2 pages)
- Genaviv Alcantara Mr. Russell English I 13 May 2016 The Dangers behind Substance Abuse Each year in America, 470,000 more people die of drug over dose than of murder (FBI). This statistic shows the lack of self-control in situations, and leaves one confused about their own lives and decisions. Drug abuse is not addiction, it is misusing the medical advances made to enhance health, wellness and daily life. This misunderstanding of drugs leads to intake for self-indulgence and leaves an individual to use drugs in reducing stress, agony, boredom, and peer pressure.... [tags: Drug addiction, Addiction, Drug abuse, Drugs]
1377 words (3.9 pages)
- What’s Behind the Force of Authority. BY SOPHIA WILSON When you think of a police officer, you think of a hero, someone that will serve and protect your community. Police officers should uphold the law and maintain order for a stable society. They endure rigorous training to obtain this authority, and agree to put their own lives in danger to protect and serve. In recent months, this authority has been abused and has turned into extreme police brutality that is quickly turning deadly. Police brutality can be defined as the use of excessive and/or unnecessary force by police when dealing with civilians (Danilina).... [tags: Police, Police brutality, Constable]
1165 words (3.3 pages)
- The Truth Behind Sea World When people think of Sea World, they think of a fun and exciting park where they can see various aquatic animals. They think of the very large manatees swimming behind the glass. People think of the hilarious dolphin and seal shows. More than anything, people associate Sea World with Shamu. The amazing Shamu show which is a must see when attending the park. They think of the happy trainers and how much fun they are having with the Orcas. All of this makes Sea World a multi-billion dollar corporation.... [tags: amusement parks]
1845 words (5.3 pages)
- If Soldiers and leaders adhered to the Army Values and the Leadership Requirements Model, many ethical dilemmas that Noncommissioned Officers face on a daily basis would not occur. In the Army today, Soldiers constantly discuss values and leadership, unfortunately not everyone takes them seriously. The abuse of authority and command influence sometimes displayed by leaders puts subordinates into ethical dilemmas. Often, command influence will challenge the Loyalty, Duty, Respect, and Honor values that a leader attempts to live by.... [tags: Military]
1271 words (3.6 pages)
- The transition from high school to college can be a difficult experience, but also life changing. It is a time of independence, along with constant questioning. This transition is a coming of age story, just like the novel Persepolis, the story of Marjane’s childhood and growth. Both are about transitioning from a safe haven to an unknown, distant place. Marjane learns to question authority, and form her own opinions through her experiences during the Iranian Revolution. By the time she steps onto that plane to leave her parents behind in country faced with political unrest, she is an independent woman.... [tags: persepolis, transitioning, challenging authority]
1781 words (5.1 pages)
- Samantha Ureno Professor Zia English 99 22 January 2016 The Science Behind Sports Authority “Nothing in a grocery store is where it is by accident. Every item on a shelf has been planned” (Paco Underhill). In the articles, “The Science of Shopping” by Malcolm Gladwell and “How Target Knows What You Want Before You Do” by Charles Duhigg, these authors exemplify effective marketing strategies which were composed by Paco Underhill and Andrew Pole. Underhill is an environmental psychologist; additionally he employs the basic idea that one’s surroundings influences ones behavior and invented structuring man-made environments to make them conducive to retail purposes.... [tags: Retailing, Marketing, Marketing strategy]
700 words (2 pages)
- Authority is a basic element in the structure of social life. It is more or less effective in any human interrelation. It is functional in a spectrum from a small group of individuals to a whole population of a society. Some aspect of authority is a requirement of all communal living, and it is only the individual dwelling in isolation that is not forced to respond, with defiance or obedience, to the commands of hierarchy. In a general view, authority couples with obedience and both of them seem to be two components of one package.... [tags: Analysis Social Structure Authority]
1503 words (4.3 pages)