Michael Gerace owned Abbott Pizza in Buffalo, New York, where he cooked up delicious pizzas, calzones, and strombolis. He also cooked up a fake set of books for his accountant, shorting Uncle Sam about 500,000 pepperonis over three years. Now, instead of serving happy customers, Geraci is serving 21 months in prison. Here's hoping the warden recognizes his talents and assigns him to the kitchen instead of the license plate shop!
Miguel Vasquez was a tax preparer in sub...
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- In College, high school, and middle school cheating has become a common occurrence on assignments of all types and varying difficulty by students in all levels and types of classes. So how exactly do all these students cheat. Even more curious, why do so many of them go on to cheat even though they understand that it is wrong and could have dire consequences if they are caught. What are the consequences of cheating other than those that are disciplinary. The four types of cheaters can be classified as “addicts”, “desperados”, “bandwagoners”, and “subconscious”.... [tags: cheaters, plagiarism, education,]
868 words (2.5 pages)
- A flat tax is a system of taxation that taxes at a uniform rate, regardless of income level. In the United States we currently use a progressive tax system, which means that high-income earners pay taxes at a higher rate than low-income earners. A flat tax rate is a tax system can uses a constant percentage as a deduction, which is applied to individual income. There are various tax systems that are labeled a flat tax even though they are significantly different. A true flat rate tax is a system of taxation is where one tax rate is applied to all personal income with no personal deductions.... [tags: Tax, Progressive tax]
1206 words (3.4 pages)
- Story telling is something extremely powerful. Stories are used as an escape, a connection, or a memory. In “How To Tell A True War Story”, by veteran and author Tim O’Brien, stories were used to help keep the author sane after fighting in a brutal war. In “Selections from Reading Lolita in Tehran”, written by Azar Nafisi an author and activist, Nafisi explains how escaping reality through works of fiction helped her keep her individuality and sanity during a time of great struggle in her homeland of Iran.... [tags: Azar Nafisi, Tim O'Brien, Matha Stout]
1096 words (3.1 pages)
- Doping in Sports Is it true that the world has evolved into “a society of cheaters” and that all individuals are to blame for “looking for shortcuts at one point or another?” (Nolan). With this in mind, should everything be done fairly among individuals in the world. These are questions that societies ask each day and it can be seen associated widely throughout the world of sports. According to the Washington Post, “ drugs and blood transfusions [in sports] provide a 5 to 10 percent advantage”, which may not seem like a substantial difference, but it diminishes other drug free player’s “hope of winning or simply staying on the team” (Murray).... [tags: Drugs in sport, Anabolic steroid, Tour de France]
1493 words (4.3 pages)
- Numerous politicians are in favor of reforming the United States tax system to consumption tax. Our basic tax system is tax that the government imposes on all working individuals including businesses. Per law, all workforce women, men, and young adults are required to file an income tax return every year; this can dedicate if they owe any taxes or may be eligible to receive a refund. To determine such taxes owe or refunds, the government utilized a progressive tax system, which higher income earner pays a higher tax rate compared to those who earn a lower less.... [tags: Tax, Income tax, Progressive tax]
1479 words (4.2 pages)
- Regressive tax is a tax that is applied uniformly, yet takes a larger percentage of low-income individual 's income and lower percentage of individuals with higher income. Taxes that are regressive include taxes such as gasoline tax and sales tax applied to essentials. If sales tax is a uniform 7% individuals with less income spend a higher percentage of their total income on the tax than individuals with a higher income. Progressive tax is the opposite of the regressive tax. Progressive tax is income tax that takes a higher percentage of the overall income from individuals with high-income than low-income individuals.... [tags: Tax, Income tax, Regressive tax]
1007 words (2.9 pages)
- In this world nothing can be said to be certain, except death and taxes.” (Benjamin Franklin). For the first time, I heard this phrase from my high school teacher in economic classes and I thought it just impressive quote from a famous person, but when I study for bachelor degree I truly understand how taxes important to human society. At Thammasat University, tax study broadened my perspectives in each Thailand’s tax type and fostered my strong determination to become a tax practitioner. Studying the Taxation course has changed my life.... [tags: Tax, Progressive tax, Taxation, Tax haven]
745 words (2.1 pages)
- The current tax system is extremely complicated and punishes those who are successful by taxing people more than the average citizens. If flat tax were to be in the United States it would create fairness within the economy and be less complicated. Flat tax would not punish people for having higher income; instead flat tax would create equality to all tax payers. The taxpayers would not be complaining to the neighbors or their close relatives about their tax rates and how different they are from each other.... [tags: marginal tax, income tax]
1738 words (5 pages)
- To Tax or Not to Tax. Since the recent passage of the Internet Tax Freedom Act, on October 21, 1998, making the Internet tax free, there has been an intense debate on whether to tax or not to tax Internet purchases. The conservative side, also known as the Republicans, is opposed to Internet taxation saying that it is too costly to collect taxes on Internet purchases. They also believe that since Internet retailers do not have a physical presence in every state, why should the state receive sales tax on a nonexistent store in that state.... [tags: Internet Tax Taxation Papers]
1942 words (5.5 pages)
- The current tax system is extremely complicated and punishes those who are successful by taxing people more than the average citizens. If flat tax were to be in the United States it would create fairness within the economy and be less complicated. Flat tax would not punish people for having higher income; instead flat tax would create equality to all tax payers. The taxpayers would not be complaining to the neighbors or their close relatives about their tax rates and how different they are from each other.... [tags: tax system, economy, United States, taxpayers]
1681 words (4.8 pages)