“Out of the temple came the seven angels with the seven plagues. They were dressed in clean, shining linen and wore golden sashes around their chests,” Revelation 15:6 (Buursma, Manikas-Foster). In Paradise Lost, a notorious angel, Lucifer, is said to transform into a toad and whisper into Eve`s ear (Jance). The world and the Bible have contrasting perspectives on what angels look like or what is an angel`s purpose. Angels are seen as mystical creatures with halos and beautiful wings, yet, also seen as beings that glorify God endlessly. So, what does an angel really look like? Do angels even exist? Are they made up creatures in movies? The world`s perspective and the Bible`s perspective on angels do not wholly match; therefore, for Christians` spiritual assurance, Christians need to discover the true appearance and purpose of angels.
Angelology is one of the ten major categories of theology. A simple definition would say angles are bodiless, immortal spirits who are limited in knowledge and power. Yet, different religions have a much broader outlook. Such religions include, but are not limited to, Judaism, Christianity, and Islam. Judaism, more vague than the others, has no specific hierarchy of angels. People of the Protestant faith have generally abandoned the cult of angels. The Islam faith has four archangels: Jibrail, Mikail, Israfil, and Izrail, considered the Angel of Death. These archangels usually act in place of Allah. According to the Islam tradition, two scribe angels stay with each person. One scribe angel sits on the right and the other on the left. The angel on the right side records the good deeds of each person. The angel on the left takes notes of transgressions of the person ("Angel”).
... middle of paper ...
...eds to know the truth about angels so their spiritual relationship is not damaged or misconstrued.
Dante, Alighieri, and Mark Musa. Dante's Inferno. Bloomington: Indiana UP, 1971. Print.
Buursma, Dirk R., and Martha Manikas-Foster, eds. Men's Devotional Bible: New International Version. Grand Rapids, MI: Zondervan Pub. House, 1993. Print.
Keathley, J. Hampton, III. "Angelology: The Doctrine of Angels." Bible.org. Bible.org, 3 June 2004. Web. 30 Nov. 2013.
Jance, Judith A. Paradise Lost. New York: William Morrow, 2001. Print.
Raymond, Joad. Protestant Culture: Milton`s Angels. Vol. 60. N.p.: History Today, 2010. Print.
"Angel." Columbia Electronic Encyclopedia. Columbia University Press, n.d. Web. 30 Nov. 2013.
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- Appearance in Society Since the beginning of time people all over the world have been judged based on their appearance. Based solely on the color of their skin, quality of clothing, body weight, or even hair texture, people experienced different treatment by the same people experiencing different results. Society has created a standard for an individual’s appearance. This standard allows society to believe that the looks of a person should influence their treatment by others. This standard expectation ultimately corrupts individuals mentally, emotionally and physically.... [tags: Human physical appearance, Physical attractiveness]
2285 words (6.5 pages)
- INTRODUCTION God sent the angel Gabriel to Nazareth, a town in Galilee, to a virgin pledged to be married to a man named Joseph, a descendent of David. The virgin's name was Mary." --Luke 1:26-27, NIV Today we will look at some of the aspects of the Christian doctrine of Angels and their continued role in Christianity and humanity in general. We will discuss the origin of Angels and likewise Demons, their role in both the New and Old Testament and lastly we will discuss the activity of angels in spiritual warfare.... [tags: Spirituality, Angels, Demons]
1069 words (3.1 pages)
- 4 personality types taught by Angels Every person’s road to a success is different because every person has different personality, nature, ability, and sensibility. Therefore; although the law of success could be universalized, it is necessary to consider the law of success accordingly to different personality types. However, many authors of “how to succeed” books write about law of success basing only on their personality types. If a person has same personality type as author of “how to succeed” book, he or she may like and agree with the author’s approach to success.... [tags: Angels]
763 words (2.2 pages)
- In Alden Bell’s The Reapers are the Angels, the family unit persists in the face of a zombie apocalypse. Although not seemingly normal, nor resembling the quintessential nuclear family, the idea of family is very present throughout Temple’s journey. Most families of this post-apocalyptic world operate under a strong sense of denial; a hope that the old world will seep through the seams of the nightmare that sadly is reality. They desperately grasp at traditions of the past with confidence that someday the universe will revert back to its previous state.... [tags: The Reapers are the Angels]
821 words (2.3 pages)
- I. How many times a day do you look in the mirror, criticizing your appearance for it's unique qualities. Your very unique qualities are often believed to be flaws because it does not suit society's expectation or approval. Imagine being bombarded and suffocated with a plethora of advertisements indirectly sending messages that you are not good enough and only their products can and will help achieve such an impossible goal of perfection. The reality of this is very true today. Every where around the world, every race, every gender, any age, every ethnicity is effected by obsessions with appearance.... [tags: Body Image, Apparance, Perfection]
1984 words (5.7 pages)
- Angels in America Everyone has his or her own personal faults in life. Some are looked down upon more for their issues than others are. Homosexual relationships are considered sacrilegious and unethical, so much that we scrutinize persons having those relations. We as a society should not look down upon individuals whose sexual preference is different from our own. The 80's were a time of economic growth and global power. It is also the setting for Tony Kushner's play, "Angels in America".... [tags: Kushner Angels in America Essays]
747 words (2.1 pages)
- Most of the characters in Tony Kushner's Angels in America struggle with their sexuality. Reflected in this struggle, the homosexual characters are flawed to the degree at which they hide their sexuality. Prior, Belize, Louis, Joe, and Roy all deal with this issue in the course of the play. Prior is the least closeted homosexual while Roy is the most. Prior is chosen to be a prophet, is morally upright, and represents good. Roy, the unlawful lawyer, represents evil. Belize, Louis, and Joe fall in between Prior and Roy on the scale.... [tags: Tony Kushner Angels America Essays]
2040 words (5.8 pages)
- In The Killer Angels, Michael Shaara fictionally illustrates the historical facts of the battle at Gettysburg. Shaara gives action and words to characters of another time, and then places these players on the stage of this great battle. Through the use of powerful biblical and non-biblical imagery and themes the epic nature of the battle at Gettysburg and its characters are enhanced. Such imagery and themes, combined with Shaara's fictionalization, help to contribute to why this single battle holds such monumental significance and influence upon the lives of Americans over a century removed from its occurrence.... [tags: Killer Angels Essays]
2334 words (6.7 pages)
- Angels Angels are defined as a typically benevolent celestial being that acts as an intermediary between heaven and earth and one who manifests goodness, purity, and selflessness (Angels). They are seen as good and helpful beings and have been known for giving human beings messages or signs from God. They have many virtuous characteristics to them and components that make them so interesting. These components include their origin, their reputation of always being good, their overall appearance, the several main and influential angels, and the rankings of different angels.... [tags: Religion]
966 words (2.8 pages)
- Angels An angel is a pure spirit created by God. The Old Testament theology included the belief in angels: the name applied to certain spiritual beings or intelligences of heavenly residence, employed by God as the ministers of His will. HISTORY Are Angels ambassadors sent from God to guide us, protect us or bring messages from heaven. The word angel comes from the Greek word "angelos" which means messenger. The Bible says that God has appointed many angels to those who love God and call to Him, "Psalms 91:11 For He shall give His angels charge over you, To keep you in all your ways." The bible refers to different types of angels, with varying duties such as ugides, protectors, messengers... [tags: Spirituality Religion Christianity Essays]
5536 words (15.8 pages)