Mark Zuckerberg founded Facebook in 2004 and its sole purpose is to give people the power to share and connect with the world. With 1.23 billion monthly active members, Facebook has certainly surpassed all other social sites. To put it in perspective that is roughly one-sixth of the entire world’s population. According to his book, Introduction to Digital Literacy Mark D. Bowles (2013) stated that Facebook is “the leading social networking site” where you can update your status, share information like photos, find friends and establish networks (pg. 184). This is exactly why Facebook is so popular amongst other social sites.
Twitter described as the “SMS of the internet” is another online social network created in 2006 by Evan Williams, Jack Dorsey, Noah Glass and Biz Stone. Twitter is a social network and micro-blogging service that enables users to send and read “tweets”, limited to the use of 140 characters. It is mainly used to communicate with other members of similar interests whether they know each other and to follow updates from celebrities. Mark D. Bowles comments:
Twitter is also important for more than this social aspect. It also has a practical benefit for business to promote products, theologians to discuss faith, and for scientists to announce their latest discoveries. While these do not appear in the top 20 list, they do play a vital part in th...
... middle of paper ...
...hile it may have its negatives, the positives surely outweigh them. People not only enjoy the convenience that social sites have to offer but it gives them the ability to express their selves as well as communicate with other members, share photos or tweets, or collaborating with others on promoting a new business. This is the new way of interacting and communicating with others. Add me!
Bowles, M. D. (2013). Introduction to digital literacy. San Diego, CA: Bridgepoint Education, Inc.
Coyle, C. L., & Vaughn, H. (2008). Social networking: Communication revolution or evolution?. Bell Labs Technical Journal, 13(2), 13-17. Retrieved February 8th, 2014, from EBSCOhost
Deepa S. D., Chopade, N., & Ranjith, P. V. (2012). Social Networking Sites — A New Era of 21st Century. SIES Journal Of Management, 8(1), 66-73. Retrieved February 8th, 2014, from EBSCOhost
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- The participants and audience for SNSs is growing rapidly. Statistics published become quickly out dated and it is interesting to observe both the international and national trends of Internet usage generally over the years, as well as those specific to the use of Social Networking Sites. Access to technology has become an integral part of education, socialisation and industry related requirements, and accordingly Internet usage is evolving and growing rapidly. A survey conducted by the Australian Bureau of Statics in 2003 found that in the 12 months prior to April 2003, 95% of Australian children, aged between five and fourteen years had used a computer.... [tags: Social Networking ]
1497 words (4.3 pages)
- Adam Ostrow is a new media entrepreneur and commentator of the twenty first century. One of the main titles that Ostrow holds is being the editor in chief of Mashable.com, one of the most-read independent news sites in the world, covering the latest technologies, trends and individuals that are driving the current evolution of the web. Since joining Mashable in 2007, Ostrow has contributed more than 2,500 articles. Under his direction, Mashable has grown more than tenfold to 13 million visitors per month with more than 3.6 million followers across social media sites.... [tags: Technology / Social Networking]
1680 words (4.8 pages)
- Today is the era in which technology is the part and parcel of our lives. It has been seen that social networking has escalated. It can be seen in any field of world and it is having great effect on businesses. In the business world there are challenges that did not exist some years ago. Nowadays, trends change so quickly and to be successful in business you need be one step ahead of your competitors. You always need to find out the ways that attracts others towards your company. Social networking can help a business in tremendous ways like sales, marketing or recruiting (Miss Mahone, 2011).... [tags: Marketing, Social network service, Facebook]
722 words (2.1 pages)
- The 21st century has seen the internet transformed into a tool that has made communication easier and more accessible. This transformation came about side by side with ideas of online social networks that would enable the interaction of citizens of different countries. Teenagers, being the main players of the online generation, have been caught up in the mix of online social networks as they have grown into a period whereby technology has revolutionized the way people go about their daily activities.... [tags: Social Networking, Facebook]
1191 words (3.4 pages)
- One of the driving trends in media today is online social networking. Prior to this trend people would network, make friends, plan events, and share their nearest and dearest over lunch or coffee. Online social networking has provided a convenient, yet sometimes-impersonal way to stay linked or become linked to people, organizations, and even causes that matter most to the individual. MySpace was the first glimpse of social networking, being a site that had a big emphasis on music, but still allowed the interaction between people.... [tags: Social network service, Twitter, Facebook]
1291 words (3.7 pages)
- Modern era social networking has been revolutionised with the advent of Web-based social networking systems. This kind of communication platform is technically termed as a social networking site (SNS). The social networking sites have collectively given rise to social media networks that facilitate real-time communication and information sharing across the globe. Major social networking websites in the world such as Facebook, Twitter, Google Pulse, etc. generate lots of time critical dynamic data.... [tags: Social network service, Sociology, Social network]
1861 words (5.3 pages)
- Topic: How have social networking websites affected consumers ' decision making process. Introduction The undeniable influence that social networking sites have on consumer behaviour is the subject of much commentary from psychological, sociological and economic perspectives. In discussing how social networking websites have affected consumers’ decision making processes it is obvious that social networking websites play an important role in consumers’ purchasing decisions. This paper will demonstrate that social networking websites and the social and psychological constructs that they give rise to, are most likely the primary determinative factor in the decision making process of the modern... [tags: Social network service, Decision making, Facebook]
1780 words (5.1 pages)
- A meme is an amusing image, video, phrase, text, etc. that is copied and spread rapidly through social networking. Memes are normally created to gain popularity and/ or to build hype among peers. Memes are officially one of the hottest new trends in the world of social networking today. They work wonders by engaging into our minds. For example, I use the Twitter app daily, twitter is full of meme’s. It’s where I get my gossip from, political news and jokes and everything else. In a world that revolves around social networking, as it gets closer and closer to the time of re-election, people began to create memes or advertisements to influence and make jokes about your voting decisions.... [tags: Donald Trump, Ivana Trump, United States]
1001 words (2.9 pages)
- Social networking comprises of both strong and weak ties. Social networking has an impact on all human beings through organizations, relationships, associations, internet networks, and community. Being in the hospitality industry it is important that I develop social networking for both my personal self and industry. Belonging to the American Culinary Federation I believe increases my social network. Being a member of the American Culinary Federation allows me to share ideas and come together with professionals in the same business.... [tags: Social Networking ]
1165 words (3.3 pages)
- INTRODUCTION It seems that every year people turn increasingly toward living their lives through technology. It has inundated society, families, jobs, and lives. Three developing trends that in some ways overlap each other are specifically related to living in a technology world. These trends are particularly important to the school librarian because many students are living their lives through the web. In order to reach those students, the librarian must be knowledgeable about the trends and applications and be able to use and apply them in a library setting.... [tags: Technology ]
1930 words (5.5 pages)