The most prevalent use of rhetoric that Mr.Obama uses is that of sympathy. “We’ve endured too many of these tragedies in the past few years. And each time I learn the news I react not as a President, but as anybody else would -- as a parent”. He uses an appeal to pathos as he relates to the situation as anyone who has children knowing that many of the victims were children. This serves as a way to bring himself to the level of understanding how emotionally impactful losing a child would be. Concerning the age of most the victims, Obama emphasizes the magnitude of this tragedy. “The majority of those who died today were children -- beautiful little kids between the ages of 5 and 10 years old. They had their entire lives ahead of them -- birthdays, graduations, weddings, kids of their own.” Since their is usually the impression of childhood innocence that people can relate to, as everyone was a child at one point, this line serves as a way for the speaker to show the audience the seri...
... middle of paper ...
...f wanting to protect children from harm, and when harm goes as far as to be massacred, it takes an emotional toll on the general populace, you would almost have to be a moral imbecile not to feel the same way. So by default, Obama is more effective, credit is of course due for being able to articulate an inoffensive speech that achieves its purpose.
Overall, Obama successfully addresses the Sandy Hook tragedy by relating to parents, as most the victims were children, and expressing his inclusive sorrow. Lincoln achieves his purpose in his speech by calling out the love for one’s country and showing modesty to those who gave their lives fighting in the name of said country. Both of these speeches do what they set out to, and given the magnitude of the Sandy Hook tragedy, Obama’s speech shows to carry more weight than Lincoln’s. Perhaps I have a bias I can’t shake off.
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- Together, the Columbine, Virginia Tech, and Sandy Hook school shootings resulted in seventy-seven deaths. Gun related school violence continues to occur and has become more frequent in the recent years. Dylan Klebold and Eric Harris killed one teacher and twelve students at Columbine High School in Littleton, Colorado on April 20th, 1999. In the shooting, they injured twenty other students before they turned their guns on themselves. Columbine, one of the first school shootings, caused a progression of gun-related violence in schools.... [tags: Columbine High School massacre]
1663 words (4.8 pages)
- Have you ever thought of questioning the Sandy Hook shooting. Well if you haven’t now is the time to do so. When people think of Sandy Hook, they think what kind of person would go shoot up a school and kill many children. Some individuals believe that it happened and some believe that the government was involved and had planned it all. People shouldn’t feel that way because it’s not a true tragedy. Why should the government make a big scene for nothing, there was not a point in making other schools in America feel threatened.... [tags: conspiracy theories, violence]
877 words (2.5 pages)
- The deadliest school shooting to have ever happened in the United States at a high school or grade school, happened less than two years ago. On December 14th, 2012, Adam Lanza, who was twenty years old at the time, shot his mother, Nancy Lanza, four times and then brought firearms to his former grade school Sandy Hook Elementary, and fatally shot twenty children and six adults. Then the shooter put his own gun to his head and fatally shot himself. All of the children were between the ages of six and seven years old, and all six adults who were shot and killed were females who worked at the school.... [tags: United States, Mass Shotings, Gun Control ]
1244 words (3.6 pages)
- I was lounging around my living room making plans for my weekend when I first heard the news anchors reporting live from Newtown, Connecticut. I was anxiously awaiting the end of my first semester of high school when a classroom full of first graders lost their lives at Sandy Hook Elementary School. I was just a child on December 14, 2012 when the sanctity of the American education system changed forever. In the weeks that followed the Sandy Hook Massacre, our country was left grappling with the reality of what had happened.... [tags: High school, Middle school, Church of Christ]
989 words (2.8 pages)
- In the world today there are events that happen and have stories untold. On the rise are many different twists that come about from events happening. “63 percent of registered American voters believe in at least one political conspiracy theory according to a recent poll conducted by Fairleigh Dickinson University” (“Theories Prosper”). There are many different conspiracy theories in the world today including, included in the top ten lists of conspiracy theories is the Sandy Hook elementary shooting, the Boston Marathon bombings, as well as the September 11th terrorist attacks.... [tags: Conspiracy Theories]
2064 words (5.9 pages)
- On April 8, 2013, President Barack Obama spoke at the University of Hartford on behalf of those who died in the tragic shooting at Sandy Hook Elementary School in Newtown Connecticut. President Obama addressed the people of the state of Connecticut and on a federal level. The broadcasting networks provided live coverage of President Obama’s speech, and a national audience listened as the president’s addressing the issues and the next steps forward for the country. The impact of this tragedy and previous massive shootings and Obama’s explanation have been a subject of a controversial debate.... [tags: Sandy Hook Shooting, NRA]
1786 words (5.1 pages)
- On December 14th, 2012 at 9:35 A.M., at Sandy Hook Elementary School, there was reportedly a mass shooting that killed 20 children between the ages of six and seven as well as six adult staff members. Now even though tragedies like this one sadly happen quite often in America, I believe that the government stages some of them. The reason why the government would stage such an event is to distract the public from other issues that the government is having at that time. The reason why the government staged this particular shooting is so that they can push to have greater gun control and promote more anti-gun laws.... [tags: Firearm, Rifle, Sandy Hook, Weapon]
1504 words (4.3 pages)
- ... With the combination of college and homeschooling by his mother, Nancy Lanza, Adam earned a GED. Throughout school, Lanza was known for his intelligence, but he seemed nervous to many. Teachers and other students took notice to the amount of friends he had. Lanza had no true friends throughout most of his life. Which lead to him being a homebody and resorting to other hobbies to get him by. Such as, spending time with his mother who was a gun enthusiast and took her sons shooting at ranges quite frequently.... [tags: school shootings]
1441 words (4.1 pages)
- (Add a quote to this paragraph)Several people believe that there is a connection between violent video games and increased levels of aggressive behavior, while others believe that video games don’t cause violence at all, but I believe that video games don’t have a direct correlation to violence because there has been no study that has yet to determine whether or not violent video games cause real world violence. However, several crimes have tried to show that video games were the main cause of these violent acts such as the Columbine High School massacre, the shooting of Marie Smothers and the Sandy Hook Elementary school shooting, because whether it’s bullying, increased violent behavior, o... [tags: Columbine High School massacre]
906 words (2.6 pages)
- Several people believe that there is a connection between violent video games and increased levels of aggressive behavior, while others believe that video games don’t cause violence at all, but I believe that video games don’t have a direct correlation to violence because “no study has examined whether or not violent video games cause real world violence.” (Patrick Markey) However, several crimes have tried to show that video games were the main cause of these violent acts such as the Columbine High School massacre, the shooting of Marie Smothers and the Sandy Hook Elementary school shooting.... [tags: Columbine High School massacre]
2397 words (6.8 pages)