Nowadays, one of the hardest things to do in our lives is to find the right girl for us. We all know that we live in a ethnic country, that racism doesn’t have a meaning anymore. Junot Diaz is a Dominican-American writer who wrote “How to date a brown girl, black girl, white girl, or a halfie”, which the textual analysis of its contain a Multicultural. In this story we can point out to so many different parts, which he talks about how to date a multicultural girl. Based on Junot Diaz’s story, ethnicity is one the greatest factors that make guys treat their opposite sex differently; however, because of his word choice, by being offensive to my culture, and by trying to redeem himself in the way that he also said offensive statements about white people.
When someone reads this story, at first they see that the word choice of its is not as formal as it should be considering that Diaz is a creative writing professor, but when you look closer you can see what he meant by saying those words and using that language. In the story he first started by how the guy tries to trick his mom so he can stay in and spend time with the girl that is going to be there shortly. But he doesn’t clarify who the girl is, what does she look like, what is her ethnicity and so on and so forth. So by doing that he makes us to think who that girl is and why is he trying so hard to make his mom leave the house. And on the second paragraph of the story he mentions, “Clear the government cheese from the refrigerator”(Diaz 1). By saying that he tries to say that he is talking to the majority of the lower middle class. It also means the main character is a guy who comes from a lower middle class f...
... middle of paper ...
... cultures, have different rules. You need to be brave and smart with your plan to go through. Also when he talked about white girls, and how they are really easy going. This story was a great example of a multicultural text, which brought all the cultures together. Making jokes always brings joy and laugh to people but making fun of their cultures is a different thing. Jonat Diaz used that element to make his story better by making connections between himself and his audience. By making fun of them he tried to get closer to them. Now days this is how we get closer to each other. It is a brutal world which making fun of each other makes us closer. But overall he made a lot of points by bringing the cultures together and making a multicultural text.
Diaz, Junot. "How to Date a Brown Girl (Black Girl, White Girl, or Halfie)." New Yorker, 1995. Print.
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- “The sexes are at war” according to Camille Paglia, author of “Rape: A Bigger Danger Then Feminists Know” (2). The number of date rape cases is on the rise, especially among college students. Paglia claims that the cause for this is women not being careful around men. However, feminist like Susan Jacoby, author of “Common Decency”, claims that is more of a social cause. According to research the causes are women not being self aware, the media and the leading cause being alcohol and drug use.... [tags: Date Rape Essays]
1588 words (4.5 pages)
- The class activity was simple: draw a self-portrait. As Ms. Caldera began to look through her students' work, one stood out to her. The drawing was of a young fair-skinned, blond-hair, and blue-eyed girl. Normally this would not be a problem, but in this case it was. The girl who had drawn herself was actually quite the opposite: rich dark skin, brown hair, and brown eyes (Caldera). Considering that the United States is such a large melting pot of cultures, it is normal for children to have difficulty balancing between two cultures.... [tags: social issues, multiculural education]
2756 words (7.9 pages)
- Date rape is not a rare incident. Surveys indicate that in 84% of rape cases, the victim knows the attacker, and 57% of rapes occur on dates (Warshaw 11). However, what is even more surprising than these high statistics is that most incidents of date rape go unreported. Several theories exist that try to explain this phenomenon. For example, many women may refuse to believe that their “friend” raped them. In fact, they could eventually convince themselves that it never happened. Additionally, there is confusion following the attack in which memory and emotions become mixed up.... [tags: The Tragedy of Date Rape]
2293 words (6.6 pages)
- The first date is where both parties make a first impression on one another and it sets the tone for what kind of relationship will continue in the future. This first social exchange often determines whether the two parties will even continue communicating from here on out, or if communication will be abolished all together. In this day and age men and women are closer to equality then they have ever been within society. This includes the dating scene. Because of this change in the social status of women, the questions continues to be raised, which sex is responsible for what roles.... [tags: dating, relationship, first date]
669 words (1.9 pages)
- “Feminism has not prepared them for this,” states Camille Paglia in her essay “Rape: A Bigger Danger than Feminists Know.” The “them” in Paglia’s statement is referring to women, and she is discussing the topic of date rape. Susan Jacoby, on the other hand, writes in her article “Common Decency,” that feminism is not responsible for the rising cases of date rape, but that it is the men who are at fault. Paglia’s argument is insightful and accurate, but Jacoby’s writing is flawed and not well-researched.... [tags: Date Rape Essays]
931 words (2.7 pages)
- Rohypnol is a very strong benzodiazepine. It is ten times more powerful then any other benzodiazepine valium, the effects are felt very fast by any user. The drug usually works on the body for up to eighteen hours or (sometimes longer). Also during that time the user will feel many symptoms and some are: Drowsiness, disoriented, and they can loss consciousness. Most people when they take Rohypnol will suffer from a form of amnesia that prohibits memory formation for as long as they have the drug in the body.... [tags: Date Rape Essays]
936 words (2.7 pages)
- Always generated a commercial named “Like a girl” in order to focus on the insult “like a girl” and how it has been effectively decreasing the confidence of females. Always decided to take the phrase and analyze the effects it has on multiple people by asking them to perform certain actions “like a girl”. The message of this commercial is to show that people of the female gender that they are not the connotation of these words and that they need to turn the stigma around and coin this phrase as something positive rather than negative.... [tags: Female, Gender, Male, Girl]
1140 words (3.3 pages)
- The newest and frightening form of drug induced rapes often involves date rape drugs. Date rape drugs makes the victims pass out and this makes them unable to resist what is happening to them and they cannot recall what happened to them during an assault. Date rape drugs also known as predator drugs are any drugs that are used in assisting in the execution of drug facilitated sexual assault. A drug facilitated sexual assault is date rape or acquaintance rape that a person does not agree to. Date rape drugs are used to assist sexual assault which includes sexual intercourse, rape, and attempted rape, touching inappropriately and putting something in the vagina since the victims do not under... [tags: Date Rape Essays]
1109 words (3.2 pages)
- Rape defined is forcing sexual intercourse upon someone without his or her consent. This isn’t just a girls’ problem, boys have to deal with this too. According to the American Psychological Association, nearly one in ten girls and one in twenty boys say they have been raped or experienced some form of sexual assault (Atlanta Journal, 1). Almost more than half of rape victims know their attacker; they don’t report it or tell anybody. In most date rape cases, the attacker and victim have known each other for at least a year or even longer.... [tags: Date Rape Essays]
1750 words (5 pages)
- Date rape happens a lot when people are in college, more women than men but it’s still something that happens more than it should and I ask what are the colleges doing on campus to prevent this from happening to more college students. I think that colleges are trying to stop date rape from happening as best as they can but I also believe there is a lot more they could be doing to try and stop date rape. College students shouldn’t have to worry about going out on a date, party, or just to a bar for drinks with their friends.... [tags: Date Rape Essays]
972 words (2.8 pages)