The British-based White Star Line had gone through a number of changes since its formation in 1850. The company had turned its attention to oceangoing passenger steamships when Thomas Henry Ismay purchased it in 1867. Ismay’s first ship, the Oceanic, completed by the Belfast shipbuilding firm of Harland and Wolff in 1871, introduced innovations, like promenade decks, that greatly increased passenger comfort and became the rule on subsequent liners. When Ismay died in 1899, his 38-year-old son, J. Bruce Ismay, took over the company.
J. Bruce Ismay had a real sense of both “business and style” says Marc Shapiro in Total Titanic. Together with Lord W. J. Pirrie, the chairman of Harland and Wolff, he considered a proposal by American financial wizard, J. P. Morgan, to buy White Star Line as part of a scheme to unite all Atlantic shipping lines in one trust. In 1902, Morgan purchased the White Star Line for his International Mercantile Marine and installed J. Bruce Ismay as the company’s president, in 1904.
At a 1907 dinner party, Ismay proposed the construction of two luxury-class ocean liners, to be known as the Olympic class, to go head to head with the Cunard Line for the well-paid Atlantic passenger trade. A third shi...
... middle of paper ...
...forgettable liner’s story for generations to come.
“Titanic.” History. Arts and Entertainment Television Networks, LLC. 1996-2014. Web. 28 January 2014.
Shapiro, Marc. Total Titanic. New York: Pocket books, 1998. Print
“The Titanic- RMS Titanic Ship Facts and Information.” Titanic Universe. Titanic Universe. 2013. Web. 11 December 2013.
“Titanic Facts.” Titanic Facts. Titanic- Facts. 2012. Web. 11 December 2013.
F.G.O. Stuart. RMS Titanic departing from Southampton on April 10, 1912. 1912. Photography.
Virginian Pilot. The Titanic tragedy as seen through the eyes of the Virginian Pilot. 1912. Newspaper/Photography. < http://www.titanicuniverse.com/titanic-newspaper-articles/titanic-newspaper-article-7>.
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- "Eat, sleep, produce repeat. Eat, sleep, produce, repeat." that about sums up my current living situation. Kinda like the song Eat, Sleep, Rave, Repeat but without the raving part. At least not yet, some day I am wanting to be a big producer/DJ/audio engineer. I want my name to be know all across the world, something like Deadmau5, Avicii, or Owl City. My name Connor Whitfield, and I will be one of the worlds top music producers one day. Lets start off with some of the basics about me. I was born July 18, 1995 somewhere in Indianapolis.... [tags: Educational years, High school, Friendship]
1242 words (3.5 pages)
- Titanic Everyone knows or has at least have heard of the Titanic in some way. We know that it was supposed to be an unsinkable ship, and that is was just supposed to go on a voyage to New York before it hit an iceberg and sunk in the Atlantic on April 15, 1912. The Titanic plans and designs were accepted on the 29th of July in 1908. They immediately went to work shortly after on creating the ship. The ship was not entirely finished until March 31st in 1912 that on April 2nd they tested the boat on the sea.... [tags: RMS Titanic, Iceberg, Push technology]
1003 words (2.9 pages)
- The RMS Titanic, known as the Ship of Dreams, collided with an iceberg and sunk in the early hours of April 15, 1912. The boat, which was the most luxurious of her time, was set to sail from Southampton, England to New York City. Out of the 2,240 passengers on the boat during her maiden voyage, approximately 1,500 survived on the 20 lifeboats available. a controversial topic that is still debated today is whether or not the disaster of the Titanic could have been avoided. There is considerable evidence to suggest that this statement is true, but to what extent is still being decided today.... [tags: RMS Titanic, William McMaster Murdoch]
1030 words (2.9 pages)
- The titanic was a gigantic ship. It was the biggest, newest, and advanced ship during its time. The titanic was built in Belfast with the newest and best technology. Then after its completion it would travel to New York. During the tragedy of the Titanic the engineers had a key role on saving people. Although the tragedy of the titanic was sad it taught us many lessons on preventing such a thing again. Although the titanic has sunk to the bottom of the ocean it will never be forgotten. The titanic was a ship that was huge and extremely advanced.... [tags: RMS Titanic, Wireless, Distress signal]
838 words (2.4 pages)
- As we entered into the new millennium society was faced with new challenges that would create different ways of thinking and how society thinks. Our world would take on different ideas of past generations. No more of the conventional thinking of roles that are played by men and women in society. The millennium gave people a voice to create and become other than their parents. New generations became tech savvy, went to school, and learned to juggle work, family and education at the same time. Unlike their parent which had more traditional roles and believed that in order to be successful you must work over 40 hours and be away from home and not take time out to enjoy life.... [tags: Generation Y, Cultural generations, Demographics]
918 words (2.6 pages)
- White Star Line an industry leader wanted to build the most luxurious passenger ships in the world, and they did exactly that. April 10th, 1912, 2,206 people set sail on the largest boat ever made at the time, the RMS Titanic. Setting sail from Southampton, England after several stops in Cherbourg, France and Cobh, the ending destination was supposed to be New York. Sadly the Titanic never made it to New York nor did all 2,208 passengers. The Titanic hit an iceberg at about 11:30 p.m. on April 14th.... [tags: RMS Titanic, White Star Line]
1000 words (2.9 pages)
- The luxurious R.M.S. Titanic hit an iceberg on April 15, 1912. The ship was sailing off the coast of Newfoundland with 2,240 passengers and crew on board. Over 1,500 people lost their lives in the sinking of the ship. The tragic end of the Titanic was only the beginning of new precautions and safety regulations for ships. The infamous demise of the Titanic created an interest that is still present today. On March 31, 1909, construction of the Titanic began. Designer, James Andrews, laid the first keel plate in the Harland and Wolff Shipyards in Belfast, Ireland.... [tags: RMS Titanic, Iceberg, Harland and Wolff, Belfast]
1101 words (3.1 pages)
- Drowning, screaming, Weeping, Send offs...These are some of the last words you heard from Jack Jill, Tyrone T. lll, Bob Blob and from others. The date was April 14-15 1912. The zone around North Atlantic Ocean. This was traumatic time/date. The Titanic had sunk and lots of people died 1,503 to be exact. But these people were rude, raw and blunt. And also the rude rich ones ended up dying. But not all of them died. It is kind of funny because the rude rich people were the ones that died. AKA people like Jack Jill and Bob Blob.... [tags: RMS Titanic, Iceberg, Atlantic Ocean, Lifeboat]
1238 words (3.5 pages)
- On April 30, 1907, an idea was born out of the minds of Bruce Ismay and William James Pirrie to build an unsinkable ship: the Titanic. A company, Harland and Wolff, out of Belfast, Ireland were commissioned to build this miraculous ship (United States). The company made quick work, and within a few days short of five years, the Titanic was then ready to set sail from its location in Belfast to Southampton, England. On April 10, 1912, the Titanic left for Southampton and arrived within the next 24 hours.... [tags: RMS Titanic, Iceberg, White Star Line]
1595 words (4.6 pages)
- In an article titled “the new greatest generation “by Joel Stein implied that the narcissist has increased between younger generations than the proceeded generation. A researches conducted by the National Institute of Heath says that “58% more college students scored higher on a narcissism scale in 2009 than in 1982” (qtd. Stein 28) millennials are the demographic cohort following generation x. There are no precise dates when the generation starts and ends. Researchers and other commentators say as birth years and”… depending on whom you ask, of people born from1980 to 2000” (28).... [tags: Generation Y, Demographics, Strauss and Howe]
1007 words (2.9 pages)