What exactly is Intelligent Design? Anyone with a subscription to cable television is probably aware of the role that this topic plays in the political climate of the day. With the recent resurgence of religious fundamentalism and the ever-present conflict between faith and reason, it’s no wonder that an idea so attractive to those in the Religious Right would be receiving so much attention and so much support for implementation into public schools. But what are the arguments supporting this alternative “theory,” and what is it about it that gets the Darwinists so riled up? Are our nation’s students not getting the whole truth? Are biologists such as Richard Daw...
... middle of paper ...
..."Neither intelligent nor designed." Skeptical Inquirer.
01 Nov 2003. 45. eLibrary. ProQuest LLC. GULF-COAST COMMUNITY COLLEGE.
05 Oct 2009.
Peters, Shawn F. "40 DAYS AND 40 NIGHTS: DARWIN, INTELLIGENT DESIGN, GOD, OXYCONTIN, AND OTHER ODDITIES ON TRIAL IN PENNSYLVANIA/THE PANDA'S BLACK BOX: OPENING UP THE INTELLIGENT DESIGN CONTROVERSY/CREATIONISM'S TROJAN HORSE: THE WEDGE OF INTELLIGENT DESIGN.." Journal of Law & Religion24.2 (2008): 703-712. Academic Search Complete. EBSCO. Web. 28 Oct. 2009.
Peterson, Dan. "The Little Engine That Could... Undo Darwinism." American Spectator.
01 Jun 2005. 34. eLibrary. ProQuest LLC. GULF-COAST COMMUNITY COLLEGE.
05 Oct 2009.
"INTELLIGENT DESIGN CREATIONISM'S TROJAN HORSE." Church & State 58.2 (2005): 9-11. Academic Search Complete. EBSCO. Web. 29 Oct. 2009.
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- Would America be a better place if it was full of scholars, educated people who are motivated to improve society. There is no question about it; of course it would. Imagine all of the advancements we would have in technology, art and medicine. Think, this could all be achieved by planting a seed of hunger for knowledge in our younger generation. They will grow into exceptional adults that will do great work in their fields and improve society along with it. Can that all be possible just by investing more money into our school systems.... [tags: American education system]
542 words (1.5 pages)
- During the past few years, the publishing and reading world has been facing a veritable digital book onslaught. E-books have been outselling print books on Amazon since 2011 (Polanka, 7). While digital book sales skyrocketed, print book sales, especially those of mass marked paperbacks, diminished. Even the fact that e-books are not much cheaper than print books does not seem to interfere with the former’s popularity. It would seem that the age of print books is about to end, and quite soon. However, iIn spite of the current pre-eminence of e-books, it may be argued that they are not likely to replace print books anytime soon or possibly at all.... [tags: e-books, print books, age, replace]
969 words (2.8 pages)
- Rationale: This design brief is intended to take into account the results of Heath’s VAST heuristic (relating to activities) (1989, in Elliott-Burns, 2003) and a selection of Lackney’s Design Principles (n.d.). Hennah’s (2007) concepts of traffic flow and layout will be incorporated. The design will also consider the requirements of integrating a guided inquiry pedagogy. The users of the space will also be given the opportunity to take part in the process. Heath’s VAST heuristic offers a “rich alternative” (p7, 1989, as cited in Elliott-Burns, 2005) to a checklist approach to designing and can be used to evaluate a learning space and lead to the design of a new one.... [tags: Design Brief]
2158 words (6.2 pages)
- The statement by John, “Baptize you with the Holy Spirit and fire,” has an undertone which is connected to a theme which intertestamental Jews held. This idea was not related directly to the Holy Spirit and the work He would have at Jesus’ baptism or in Jesus’ ministry. A question such as, why would an unrelated belief have a connection to the Holy Spirit who was to come in the baptism of Jesus. This belief was the idea that a time of affliction or anguish would take place before the coming of the messiah.... [tags: Holy Spirit Essays]
3145 words (9 pages)
- For hundreds of years people have been documenting their works through bounded pages known as books. Whether these accounts are fiction or non-fiction, the stories and experiences authors tell have been enjoyed by millions across the globe. While readers take pleasure in cuddling up with an intriguing book and forgetting all of the troubles of life, they can dive into the adventures of a person other than themselves. Reading can take a person into times of war and famine, to far-away lands of kings and castles, knights and dragons, or even to historical events.... [tags: Electronic Books Technology]
1677 words (4.8 pages)
- Elements of Design The elements of design were created by Arthur Wesley Dow to help people see, describe, and create visual qualities in a systematic way. It consists of 7 elements: line, shape, form, colour, value, texture and space. Lines are paths or marks left by moving points and they can be outlines or edges of shapes and forms. Lines have qualities which can help communicate ideas and feelings such as straight or curved, thick or thin, dark or light, and continuous or broken. Implied lines suggest motion or organize an artwork and they are not actually seen, but they are present in the way edges of shapes are lined up.... [tags: Design]
1621 words (4.6 pages)
- The Authorship of Genesis Is the book of Genesis real or fiction. This is an age-old question. There are many thousands of Christians, who believe that Genesis is the absolute word of God. Many of these people believe that Moses wrote the book of Genesis, and believe that God himself told him what to write. Those who believe Moses wrote it really believe that God created the heaven and earth as well as all living things including man. Then there are those who believe Genesis is nothing more than fiction.... [tags: Holy Bible Genesis Essays]
981 words (2.8 pages)
- The Holy Bible is Fact, Not Fiction The Hebrew word used for "day" is the word yom. Every other time the word is used in the Old Testament in conjunction with a number, a literal, 24-hour period of time is being described; what we know as a day. The word is never used metaphorically in the Bible. The verses most commonly used to say that the word day in Genesis could mean more than a 24 hour period are Psalm 90:4 and 2 Peter 3, which quotes Psalm 90:4. Psalm 90:4 - For a thousand years in Your sight Are like yesterday when it passes by, Or as a watch in the night.... [tags: Holy Bible Essays]
1379 words (3.9 pages)
- The Purpose of Evil in the Bible God looked at everything He had made, and it was very good (Genesis 1:31) Five times in Genesis 1, God looks at that which He has created, and pronounces it "good". Then on the sixth day He creates Man, and says that His creation is now "very good". God's pronouncement of His creation, which would be everything around us and includes ourselves, as "very good" is hard to reconcile with that which we see on a daily basis -- a reality in which we experience much pain and cruelty from man and nature.... [tags: Holy Bible Essays]
3747 words (10.7 pages)
- Truth, Belief and the Bible Order, pattern, method, harmony, and purpose - these are the qualities on which we, humankind, have come to base our existence. We strive to find meaning in all that we do, say, read, write, and live. A story is not just a story; it is a lesson. A thought is not merely a thought, but a revelation. Hardship is not simply misfortune, but an act of God. Truth is considered the result of a divine arrangement - one that is complex and intricate, and finally revealed to us through a glorious realization.... [tags: Holy Bible Essays]
1075 words (3.1 pages)