... middle of paper ...
...” I am not exactly sure why I like it, but maybe it’s the idea of having a large heavy blank book to write down things you encounter on this journey. There is a lot happening in this book and I think that it will set the tone for the rest of the book.
I think what the author is trying to say is that every minute in life is indefinite. Though you can think and remember the past, you can only live in the present. At the end, she refers to a photograph: “someone will take your picture:/ the photograph — who you were–/ will be waiting when you return.” Even if you physically return to a specific “space” that she speaks of in the title, the time has changed, changing you. This idea sets up the book because it is beginning the journey of reading something for the first time that could change you. Though you can think and remember the past, you can only live in the present.
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- Love is a funny thing and it makes people do funny things. The event that changed Jake Barnes 's life the most would be falling in love with Lady Brett Ashley because it changes who he is essentially. Jake and Brett met during World War One in England when Brett had treated a wound for Jake. The pair fell in love with each other, she refused to commit to a relationship with him. Brett is a selfish woman and does not care who she hurts. Because of her manipulations, Jake disregards his morals to bend to her will.... [tags: Love, Interpersonal relationship]
788 words (2.3 pages)
- A Funny Thing Happened On the Way to the Theater September 5, 2000: First Audition Less than a week ago, I had never auditioned for anything. Tonight, I was on stage with forty or so actors, most of whom had several plays to their credit. As I had neither a major, nor past plays to back me up, I was nervous. I survived it all anyway, and had fun despite the scary scary evaluative process. September 7, 2000: Callbacks The hyper-talkative freshman girl in my French class looked at the callback list before I had a chance to.... [tags: Personal Narrative Acting Papers]
1927 words (5.5 pages)
- Racism is Funny Right. Racism has been and will always be a problem in this world. Right now in America, prejudice and hatred is still being displayed every single day. This country cannot go a week without another racist incident headlining the news. Police brutality is the spotlighted form of racism these past two years. This is absolutely not the first time police brutality has taken the stage. It is fairly easy to find an article online about racism and police brutality because there is an abundant amount of cases.... [tags: Race, Black people, White people, African American]
1421 words (4.1 pages)
- A Joke That Is Not So Funny "Man has been endowed with reason, with the power to create, so that he can add to what he's been given. But up to now he hasn't been a creator, only a destroyer. Forests keep disappearing, rivers dry up, wild life's become extinct, the climate's ruined and the land grows poorer and uglier every day" (Russell). From this quote from Anton Chekhov, one can tell he viewed life in a very different way. Chekhov enjoyed writing stories about reality.... [tags: essays research papers]
1188 words (3.4 pages)
- Ethics Assignment: Does This Milkshake Taste Funny. Identification of Dilemma: George is a young family oriented guy who has recently came back from his first year of college as a mechanical engineer. George is planning to marry his girlfriend Cathy and start their life together. In order to do this George has to find a good job to save for their future. He finds the perfect night job, with great pay, and a fun environment. The Job he found was at Eastern Dairy which is a unionized manufacturing company.... [tags: Ethics, Morality, Business ethics, Philosophy]
1119 words (3.2 pages)
- What’s So Funny About Mental Illness. One in four people suffer from mental illness. Ruby Wax is a comedian and activist for awareness of mental illnesses. In 2012 Ms. Wax was invited to the TED stage to discuss this topic in her unique way. She speaks of her battle with mental illness and how she succumbed to her psychological breakdown by describing the general effects. This easily describes how she is well qualified to discuss the topic. She delivers this dynamic and intellectual information so simply it makes the listener comfortable.... [tags: Psychology, Mind, Mental illness, Mental disorder]
746 words (2.1 pages)
- Latino Or Hispanic, Not The Same Thing. Clara E. Rodriguez wrote an essay titled, "What It Means To Be Latino". On this essay she explains the difference between the terms Hispanic and Latino, elaborating on how the term "Hispanic" was created by the U.S. census in 1970, to use it as a general term to describe all of the people who came from, or, had parents who came from a Spanish speaking country. Then she states that the term "Latino", is a term considered to be more neutral and racially inclusive by many people of this population, although she made a good point of view, it still failed to describe the more complexity on the meaning of the term Latino.... [tags: United States, Spanish language, Mexican American]
918 words (2.6 pages)
- Cyberbullying It used to be waking up going to school and ducking and dodging your everyday bully was a mission. But as time grew and we grew with it bullying has become more than your everyday lunch money stealing, wedgie pulling and name calling. It has reached your homes, phones and other communication sources mainly the internet. Cyberbullying which is a use of electronic communication to bully a person by sending messages of an intimating nature. Such as sending hurtful or threatening messages through instant or text messages to spreading rumors online or posting embarrassing photos or videos meant to mock or humiliate someone.... [tags: Bullying, Abuse, Social media, Humiliation]
1522 words (4.3 pages)
- As I got the assignment for my professional ethic class, I saw the topic, “cell phone” and along with topic came the zip files to analyze and then write from. The part where I was so surprised was when I saw the number of files in that folder. There were more than 100 files with names like ‘cell phone addiction’, ‘cell phone health issues’, ‘cell phone mental problems’, ’cell phone killing face to face conversations’ etc. How can be that one device which is a part of our daily life be so hazardous, not to mention I have two of those devices (Xperia and Nexus 6p – ‘still flaunting’).... [tags: Mobile phone, Laptop, IPhone, Motorola]
1800 words (5.1 pages)
- Sight Gags and Charlie Chaplin We have all seen it done before, either in real life or in the movies. A situation is funny because of the misinterpretation of someone's actions or the complete conflict of what a situation seems to be and what it really is. People come into contact with sight gags all the time. One might be trying to be sneaky and hide something and then when someone looks, one pretends to be doing something else not to get caught. One could also pantomime using an umbrella as a baseball bat.... [tags: Humor Comedy Funny Humorous Essays]
1214 words (3.5 pages)