As said before, it is challenging to support an idea without giving the vibe that you are biased. However, this book, “This Will Make You Smarter” edited by John Brockman, has an objective perspective. An objective book consists of making a point that is not influenced by the authors emotions, personal beliefs, values, or any other outlying factors. Some might say that he is basing his ideas around the fact that there is not a God, karma, or fate in the universe, one example might be when he says; “The universe does not revolve around you; this planet isn 't privileged in any unique way; your country is not...
... middle of paper ...
...does not share the same outlook on life and/or intelligence as they do. Specifically my friend Justin, who enjoys arguing with me about God 's non-existence.
In Chapter 9 of the Myers psychology textbook we are using in class, the first subject in the chapter is cognition and its concepts. This directly relates to the topic of the book by John Brockman because he also introduces cognition concepts. Myers defines cognition as “the mental activities associated with knowing, thinking, remembering, and communicating.” (Myers, 339). In “This Will Make You Smarter,” Brockman explains that the cognitive load is known as the amount of conscious information present at any one given time. Even though Myers has a psychological approach to her definitions of thinking and the mind in her textbook, and Brockman 's is more of a literal approach, the book and chapter still connect.
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- INTRODUCTION: Parliament, the supreme law-making body, has an unrestricted legislative power, and the laws it passes cannot be set aside by the courts. The role of judges, in relation to laws enacted by Parliament, is to interpret and apply them, rather than to pass judgment on whether they are good or bad laws. However, evidence has shown that they have a tendency to deviate from their ‘real roles’ and instead formulate laws on their own terms. Thus the real role of a judge in any legal system continues to be a phenomenon questioned by many.... [tags: Judges Make Law]
2340 words (6.7 pages)
- Your Unique Selling Proposition (USP) and More How can you make your property stand out among many others for sale. We have already talked about property descriptions, photos and videos in the previous chapters. Here we will concentrate on the quality of property presentations on the internet. Property description. There are so many property descriptions to be found on the internet, but how many are really great: Informative yet artistic, helpful yet appealing. Explore for yourself in your own language and you will see how many of them are dull, boring, not even explaining the property details and instilling only the desire to move on instead of buying this property.... [tags: Property, Ownership, If You Have to Ask, Sales]
1282 words (3.7 pages)
- “You are here!” John exclaimed, when she walked through the door. “Excuse me?” Mary Jane asked in surprise. “‘Er, I mean, I don’t a… I guess I didn’t realize you would be back so soon,” he said, fumbling and stumbling over his words. “I went home and pulled out all the paperwork you needed, which was not an easy job let me tell you because first I had to find out which carton it was packed in,” she replied, giggling. “But here I am. You… did want this now, didn’t you?” “Oh indeed. Let’s take a look, shall we?” John motioned for her to take a seat near his desk then took the papers she handed to him, sitting down as well.... [tags: Debut albums, 2007 singles, 2004 singles]
2309 words (6.6 pages)
- When people realize that maybe they are starting to become more overweight or gain a few pounds they may ask themselves, “Whatever I’m fine” or they might say, “Maybe I should start going to gym and exercise”. Those same people then go find a gym near their home, sign up for a gym membership, and maybe go for about a week. Then probably just quit after trying for a month. In the article “Why Exercise Won’t Make You Thin” published in Time Magazine on August 09, 2009 by John Cloud shows that exercise is not really needed.... [tags: Obesity, Physical exercise, Weight loss, Exercise]
1310 words (3.7 pages)
- Chapter 1: 100 Make Up Tips 1. Choose Your Makeup Well. When you buy your makeup kit, make sure to choose something that is known for its quality. This way, you can be assured that you would be able to achieve the kind of effect that you are looking for. Aside from that, you can also ensure that you won’t experience any kind of side effects on your skin with its use. 2. Consider Your Skin. In applying makeup, you need to make certain considerations to be on the safe side. For one, if your skin is allergic to certain types of makeup, then you should carefully select the makeup products you would apply on it.... [tags: Cosmetics, Make-up artist, Want, Lipstick]
735 words (2.1 pages)
- How to Make a Wedding Fifteen years ago, I planned my own wedding. This was a challenge for my husband and me. At the same time, it was an exciting and important experience in our lives. Our parents and we enjoyed everything in the planning of the wedding. Planning a wedding can seem complicated and stressful, however if you follow three steps, it will be very easy. First step, set your wedding budget. When you decided to get married, you need to choose the kind and size of ceremony you want to have.... [tags: Wedding, Marriage, White wedding, Need]
828 words (2.4 pages)
- Are you feeling as if your life is out of control. Or do you want to get your parents off your back so you might be able to live your life as you want. Each person may face many problems that make him to turn his real life off without trying to solve the problems. So, I would like to share with you 7 habits that can make you to be happy and successful in your life. Furthermore, these habits are things we do daily and some of them we don’t aware if we are having them or not. Generally, these 7 habits can help to get control of your life, improve your relationship with friends, achieve your goals and increase your self-confidence.... [tags: success, tips, ]
1269 words (3.6 pages)
- Misfortunes make you finally learn. Teenagers tend to want more liberty and want to move out of their parent’s house, when they eventually do that they end up hating it because it did not met their expectations. When people are young and immature they make decisions, due to a certain lust or desire, which they latter on regret. Urging too much for something sometimes causes for you to take your distractions off the consequences, because you do not see them. These ignorant people will become understanding as they mature, and realize that some things in life our not quite as easy as they seem.... [tags: essays research papers]
575 words (1.6 pages)
- The Racial Debate in Lumpkin’s To Make My Bread A passage beginning on page 350 of Grace Lumpkin’s "To Make My Bread" addresses the issue of black vs. white in the world of the mill strikers. The discussion comes about as a result of a note left by those factory owners and elite overseers who acted against the strike. The message read, “Your union does not believe in white supremacy. Think about that, white people.” Obviously the goal of these words centered on the hope of playing with the emotions of the white strikers.... [tags: Lumpkin Make My Bread]
681 words (1.9 pages)
- The Theme of Carpe Diem in Robert Herrick's To the Virgins to Make Much of Time Robert Herrick's poem, "To the Virgins to Make Much of Time," focuses on the idea of carpe diem. More specifically, in this poem the idea of marriage while love and flesh are still young should be heeded or one may suffer in their later years alone and loveless. Herrick suggests that this gift of virginity might be a great waste if not given while it is still desirable. Virginity is a gift for the simple reason that it can only be given once to the taker of the prize, which he believes should be the husband.... [tags: Virgins Make Much Time]
882 words (2.5 pages)