In this course, I completed reading the text Theory and Practice of Counseling and Psychotherapy written by Gerald Corey, which helped me have a better understanding of different types of theories and how they can benefit or help potential clients I may have. From all the theories studied in this course, there are some theories that I would like to apply that would be beneficial in helping me guide my clients to the right path.
In this therapy, Carl Roger recommended that the client would have the best help if the therapist motivates the client to concentrate on the problem then on the interpretation that others have on the situation. To have good results Carl Roger believed that the therapist should be comprehensive, authentic, and warm. As a future therapist, I consider that I would like to use this therapy because it would show the client my empathetic side, which will bring better results. It shows the client that they are not alone in the situation and will be more willing to open up. Also, I consider that a councilor can better help the client to come up with the best solution possible to the situation if they are non-judgmental and understand the client’s perspective.
I consider the best technique for this therapy is Motivational interviewing because it is a non-judgmental and non-confrontational therapy that attempts to make the client more aware of the potential caused problems experienced consequences and risks they may face as a result of the conduct in question. As a therapists I want to help the client envision a better future and become increasingly motivated to achieve it. However, I would keep in mind that I need to seek stra...
... middle of paper ...
...alytic therapy is the analysis dream. Analysis dream is made up different components that provides better understanding of the clients unconscious thoughts (fulfillment, unconscious desires, and conflicts). During dream analysis, the client in therapy shares the manifest content of the dream which are the parts of the dream that the client remembers. Also, the client in the therapy would latent content which means it will represent the repressed meaningful embedded information of the dream My role as the therapist will be to facilitate exploration of repressed material.
Over all, I consider that I had a pretty good understanding of the course and the therapies that were taught in the class. In this report it showed how I have a clear view of how the different types of therapy function and how a therapist should incorporated it to the client.
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- Reality Therapy/Choice Therapy Reflection Paper In the book, “Theory and Practice of Counseling and Psychotherapy” Gerald Corey suggests that reality therapy/choice therapy emphasizes that most clients struggle with unsatisfying relationships. Corey suggests that in reality therapy/choice therapy “Many client problems are caused by their inability to connect, to get close to others, or to have satisfying or successful relationship with at least one successful relationship with at least one significant relationship in their life” (Corey, 2014, p.... [tags: Interpersonal relationship, Love, Person]
1039 words (3 pages)
- Jerry is a 19 year old African-American male college student who has developed a phobia with heights. When he tries to walk across a bridge, for example, he begins to panic, which results in him backing away and avoiding going across at all. It has interfered with his life to the point that he avoids taking classes that are on the upper floors of buildings, and chooses to drive to school from over an hour away in order to avoid staying in a dorm room, since the only ones that were available were on the fifth floor and above.... [tags: Classical conditioning, Behaviorism]
1264 words (3.6 pages)
- Gerald Corey in Theory and Practice of Counseling and Psychotherapy explains at times thoughts and feelings can be all consuming for people weather they are positive or negative. Unfortunately the negative thoughts have a way of permeating our views of ourselves. There are three thoughts that Albert Ellis would say everyone believes. One being we must do well and win the approval of others for my performances or else I am no good” (269). Second “Other people must treat me considerately, fairly, kindly, and in exactly the way I want them to treat me.... [tags: counseling, psychotherapy, language, emotions]
963 words (2.8 pages)
- At Omaha Integrative Care our licensed mental health therapists practice traditional counseling as well as integrative mental health counseling or integrative psychotherapy. Integrative counseling or integrative psychotherapy means using evidenced-based practices in addition to complementary therapy models to fit the individual needs of clients. Our Omaha therapists are providers for most insurance companies and all counseling services are eligible to be covered by insurance plans. People come to therapy or counseling for a variety of reasons such as depression, anxiety, grief and other life stressors.... [tags: Psychology, Psychotherapy, Psychiatry, Counseling]
736 words (2.1 pages)
- Counseling Psychology is a claim to fame inside of expert brain research that keeps up an attention on encouraging individual and interpersonal working over the life range. The strength gives careful consideration to enthusiastic, social, professional, instructive, well-being related, formative, and hierarchical concerns.The routine of Counseling Psychology incorporates an expansive scope of socially delicate practices that individuals enhance their prosperity, mitigate trouble and maladjustment, resolve emergencies, and increment their capacity to capacity better in their lives.... [tags: Psychology, Counseling psychology, Psychotherapy]
1226 words (3.5 pages)
- Method Participants I observed the Center for Counseling and Psychotherapy, a private outpatient practice of licensed psychologists. The Center for Counseling and Psychotherapy provides individual, couple, family and assessments for children and adolescents. There are eight staff members that work at the Center for Counseling and Psychotherapy, six licensed psychologists and two front office assistants. I choose to observe two office assistants, because I talked to the supervisor originally when getting the consent form and the supervisor said that the office assistants were having trouble with not completing mailing/faxing of reports and other documents on time.... [tags: Reinforcement, Punishment, Observation, Telephone]
1068 words (3.1 pages)
- In counselling practice, to effect change specific counselling models are employed; these models are informed through counselling modalities like person centred therapy, cognitive behaviour therapy, narrative therapy and so forth (Mcleod, 2007). The fifth learning goal was set to effectively use the theoretical knowledge of counselling models to facilitate the counselling practice. The activities stipulated in the group leader’s manual were based on cognitive behaviour therapy (CBT); as the activities educated the participants on how thoughts, feelings, emotions and behaviour were interconnected.... [tags: Cognitive behavioral therapy, Psychotherapy]
1479 words (4.2 pages)
- Introduction Gerard Egan’s counselling guide is a three-stage model designed for counsellors or “helpers”. With this model these helpers are able to structure their work with persons in order to help them to help themselves. This is built around three questions: What is going on. What do I want instead. How can I get to where I want to go. The questions enable the person to begin with making plans for their life and to form priorities with realistic approaches to their problems. They are then able to gain a deeper insight into their own situation and problem.... [tags: Psychology Counseling]
1913 words (5.5 pages)
- An Overview of Counseling and Psychotherapy I. Title Overview of Counseling and Psychotherapy II. Definition Psychotherapy is the treatment of individuals with emotional problems, behavioral problems, or mental illness primarily through verbal communication. At one time the term psychotherapy referred to a form of psychiatric treatment used with severely disturbed individuals. Counseling, on the other hand, refers to the treatment of people with milder psychological problems or to advice given on vocational and educational matters.... [tags: Papers]
1103 words (3.2 pages)
- Understand, interpret, direct. This statement is an oversimplification of sorts, but defines the essence of Adlerian psychotherapy. From this minimal overview of Adlerian theory, we can begin to elaborate and explore the intricacies of individual psychology. Adlerians are concerned with understanding the unique and private beliefs and strategies of the individual (private logic and mistaken notions) that we create in childhood, and which serve as a reference for attitudes, private views of self, others and the world, and behavior (lifestyle).... [tags: Adlerian Psychotherapy]
2527 words (7.2 pages)