The legal basis for the Coast Guard to operate as a military force is Title 14 of the United States Code, which states: "The Coast Guard as established January 28, 1915, shall be a military service and a branch of the armed forces of the United States at all times." Upon the declaration of war or when the President directs, the Coast Guard operates under the authority of the Department of the Navy.” The Coast Guard can trace its beginnings back August 4th 1790. On this date president George Washington, at the urging of Secretary of the Treasury Alexander Hamilton, ordered the building of ten ships. Those ten ships would be called the Revenue Cutter Service (RCS). The purpose of these ships was to enforce tariff regulations and bolster the coffers of the newly formed United States. It is the nation’s oldest continuing sea going service. These ships would be used to “cut off” smuggling in and out of the U.S. The term “cutter” is still used today to describe any Coast Guard vessel 65’ or longer.
The RCS was first pressed into service during the undeclared Quasi War with France in 1798-99. In 17...
... middle of paper ...
...less and when it is called upon to fight it will transform from a law enforcement and humanitarian service to a fighting force to be reckoned with.
Cutler, Thomas J. Brown water, black berets: Coastal and riverine warfare in Vietnam. Naval Institute Press, 2000
Demographics of Active Duty U.S. Military http://www.statisticbrain.com/demographics-of-active-duty-u-s- military
Kroll, C. Douglas. A Coast Guardsman’s History of the U.S. Coast Guard. Annapolis, MD: Naval Institute Press 2010
Lagan, Christopher http://coastguard.dodlive.mil/2010/06/remembering-uscgc-escanaba-wpg-77/
Puller, Lewis B. Fortunate Son: The Autobiography of Lewis B. Puller, Jr. Grove Press, 2000
U.S. Army Center of Military History http://www.history.army.mil/moh/wwII-m-s.html#MUNRO
U.S. Coast Guard’s Historian’s Office http://www.uscg.mil/history
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- ... These missions are: 1) Port, Waterway and Coastal Security - Conducts patrols, gathers, and analyzes intelligence, and assesses vulnerabilities in order to deter terrorist attacks; also helps keep a consistent territorial integrity.2) Defense Readiness - Takes part in military operations worldwide, generally in support positions.3)Illegal Immigration Control - Uses ships and aircraft to intercept and detain illegal immigrants who are traveling by water.4)Search and Rescue - Maintains emergency-response stations and a communication system for helping those in distress.5)Aids to Navigation - Manages and monitors U.S.... [tags: ice operation, ocean, illegal activity]
1463 words (4.2 pages)
- The U.S. Coast Guard is the only military service in the United States armed forces that does not require mandatory physical fitness training and physical fitness testing for all of their members. Because of this fact, there is a huge divide between those in favor of mandating physical fitness training and testing and those against it. Anecdotally, someone could conclude that without mandatory physical fitness training and testing your force’s fitness and weight compliance levels are going to be negatively impacted.... [tags: Military Science]
865 words (2.5 pages)
- Religious Holiday Leave Title VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964 (Title VII) instructs employers to make reasonable accommodations for employees to observe religious holidays. The act requires compromises from both the employer and employee. Communication is a necessity when implementing an accommodation policy to alleviate unclear messages and allow maximum participation. United States Coast Guard The United States Coast Guard (USCG) is one of the five branches of the military, and the only branch falling under the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) (United States Coast Guard, 2015a).... [tags: Religion, Employment, United States Coast Guard]
1041 words (3 pages)
- 1. The current underway Operational Specialist (OS) rate is untrained and unprepared to serve on all large cutter platforms. Operational Specialist”A” school is not teaching the underway material. Thus, OS “A” school graduates are arriving without the required training and causing a burden on the crew. The Coast Guard must create an underway Operational Specialist sea school for first time afloat and returning sea duty candidates. 2. Operational Specialist “A” school is focused on teaching and preparing students for Sector’s or Group duty were an overwhelming number of the rate is stationed.... [tags: School, Education, United States Coast Guard]
1151 words (3.3 pages)
- The United States Coast Guard does not include step parent adoptions under the Reimbursement of Adoption Expenses instruction. This oversight may have caused many of the blended families proudly serving in the United States Coast Guard not to seek adopting their step child due to legal fees and other expenses related to the adoption process. Allowing our members to utilize the adoption subsidy would greatly ease this great financial burden. The Coast Guard must include step parent adoptions to the Reimbursement of Adoption Expenses instruction.... [tags: Family, Stepfamily, Parenting, Cinderella effect]
1356 words (3.9 pages)
- The United States’ military provides better protection of its citizens than Vietnam’s military. The U.S has one of the biggest and strongest militaries in the world, which is used to protect their citizens and country. The U.S Armed Forces is very experienced in fighting and winning battles, which is proved throughout its history. Over the years the United States military has advanced in technology and artillery, expanding its man power. Contrary to the U.S military, the Vietnamese military is much smaller and not as advanced, which makes it harder for them to protect their citizens from big attacks.... [tags: Military, United States Army, Armed forces]
707 words (2 pages)
- After the fear of terrorism grew in the United States do to the Al Qaeda 9/11 attacks on the World Trade Center and Pentagon, the US Government found a need for a centralized department that umbrellas all other agencies when it comes to homeland security. The U.S. Government found this umbrella agency with the passage of the Homeland Security Act by Congress in November 2002, the Department of Homeland Security formally came into being as a stand-alone, Cabinet-level department to further coordinate and unify national homeland security efforts.... [tags: defense from terrorism in US soil]
1790 words (5.1 pages)
- The United States has a very large military with service members being stationed all over the world. Five branches make up the American military and they are the Army, Navy, Air Force, Marines, and Coast Guard (Department of Defense [DoD], n.d.). According to a 2013 demographics survey conducted by the DoD, the total number of military service members in the United States was 3,616,568 individuals (DoD, 2013). This number consists of Active Duty, Reserve, Guard, and Civilian personnel. Active duty personnel make up the largest percentage of the entire force with 37.9% and the Army has the highest percentage out of all the other branches (38.5%) (DoD, 2013).... [tags: Human sexual behavior, Sexual intercourse, Rape]
1684 words (4.8 pages)
- I decided to analyze one of the main characters in The Guardian, this is a movie about the United States Coast Guard Rescue Swimmers. One of the main charters; Senior Chief Ben Randall is a very decorated rescue swimmer, many people say he is a legend. As for his age I know he is past the age of 40 but otherwise it is not stated. After an accident in the line of duty he is sent to work at “A” school which is the Coast Guard Rescue Swimmer training facility. I believe Senior Chief Randall to have Post Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD).... [tags: Psychological trauma]
1338 words (3.8 pages)
- The United States Needs a Terrorism Czar Introduction Drug trafficking activity and terrorism activity have much in common. Both drugs and terrorism have strong national security and law enforcement components, they have military components, border control components, economic and trade components, medical components, and agricultural components. Today there are some 50 federal agencies with some degree of counterdrug responsibilities and at least 12 federal agencies with important counterterrorism responsibilities.... [tags: Argumentative Persuasive Essays]
3083 words (8.8 pages)