Firearms are classified into three broad types handguns, rifles, and shotguns. Rifles and shotguns are both considered “long guns.” A semi-automatic weapon fires one bullet each time the user pules the trigger, it will also eject the empty shell after its fired, and will automatically load another round into the gun. A automatic will fire multiple bullets as long as u hold the trigger down. Gun control has been a topic in government law making for years, although here recently gun control has been pushed for harder than ever. The major incident that started the fuss was the Sandy Hook school shooting in which they blame guns for a troubled young man killing six adults and twenty children. According to politics/policy a news paper article “Republicans have shot down any attempts to enact new Federal gun control laws and restrictions. Yet lawmakers have had some success in a handful of states such as Connecticut, Delaware, Maryland, and New York have toughened back ground check rules or banned large capacity clips or weapons.”
In Colorado where twelve people where killed legislature has combated this with tougher background checks and limiting all magazines soled to a ten round capacity limit.according to politics/policy after Colorado enforc...
... middle of paper ...
...grasp on gun control laws. Also I hope this has educated you more on the laws they want to pass, and that you can now decide if you are for or against gun control.
Sowell, Thomas. “Do Gun Control Laws Control Guns.” The Enterprise. January 28, 2013: Pg 15-15. Print.
Barret, Paul M. “Firearm Sales Up and Crime Down = Gun Control Dead.” Politics/policy. December 16, 2013: Pg 29-30. Print.
Schaechter, Judy. Duran, Isis. et. al. “Are Accidental Gun Deaths As Rare as They Seem?” Pediatrics. April 2003: Pg 741. Print.
White, Deborah. “Pros and Cons of Gun Ownership and Use Laws for Individuals.” About.com. 2014 Web. January 16, 2014.
Agresti, James D. “Gun Control.” Just Facts. February 11, 2013 Web. January 16, 2014.
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- ... In other states you must have a permit to own any type of firearm. "The Constitution shall never be constructed to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms." - Samuel Adams, during the Massachusetts Convention to Ratify the Constitution (Cothran). Gun Control enthusiast believe that the second amendment was only intended for the men and women of our National Guard, hints “Militia”. But in a federal court case in 2001 the judges ruled that the Second Amendment "protects the right of individuals, including those not then actually a member of any militia or engaged in active military service or training, to privately possess and bear th... [tags: firearms, restrictions, attackers]
808 words (2.3 pages)
- “A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed” (Bill of Rights). This is the 2nd Amendment of the United States Constitution. This is a document that grants all Americans certain inalienable rights. All citizens no matter their age or standing in society have some understanding of the Bill of Rights and the freedoms that it allows. One freedom that is granted to us, the right to bear arms, has become the center of a heated issue in today’s society and many years before.... [tags: Pro Con Essays]
1768 words (5.1 pages)
- ... The best part about owning a gun is you can keep burglars or vandals at bay without even having to fire your gun;, just the sight of a gun will keep people from trying to break into your homes. Now for the con side of this debate, first I would have to say that having a gun is extremely risky. There is danger associated with owning a gun. You can be foolish and leave your gun where children may have access to it which can lead to more pressing issues. This is why when small children are in the house keep your guns hidden and do not allow them to know where these guns are.... [tags: right to bear arms, fire arms ownership]
1305 words (3.7 pages)
- Your body is yours to do as you please. For some they argue yes, while others are completely against it. When talking about your body it is a reference to drugs, Abortion and prostitution, when these words are brought up people views change completely. Although many views I will only highlight a select few but there is a huge debate in each one of these topics. Another huge point is the government controlling people gun rights, in recent light of Obama threatening to take away guns from the American people this has sparked a huge debate in our country.... [tags: controversial topics discussion]
1967 words (5.6 pages)
- There are thousands of people that own guns in the United States. People have owned guns for the entire duration of American history. Even pre-dating the formation of the country, there were the Massachusetts minutemen who owned their own firearms and used them to defend themselves against oppression. Many lawmakers now want to go against these principles of allowing gun ownership for civilians (Dreier 92). They want to challenge the freedoms that have built the United States into the nation that it is today.... [tags: Pros, Cons, Citizen Protection]
1173 words (3.4 pages)
- ... He seems to be right as we must learn to love with guns, “we will be better off with more of them in the hands of law-abiding citizens” (John). Unlike other countries where various stringent criteria must be satisfied before having a gun, Americans must be able to say “yes I have a permit by the 1st and 2nd Amendment”. Using guns has become a popular sport in the US for many years as it comes to using them for games and hunting. When America was young it had its boundaries, and the citizens needed to defend themselves against foreign aggression, but today as the 2nd largest army in the world has and our bill of $700 billion a year for a defense budget.... [tags: literature on gun violence is biased]
554 words (1.6 pages)
- Gun control is an extremely hot-button topic right now in all over the world. The issue is not likely to go away any time soon. Many societies are questioning whether guns really are the helpful tool that many of us have been saying they are, or if they are the killing machines they have recently been publicised as. Over the past decade, recent shootings that have occurred across the country along with the push for law banning or regulating certain types of firearms have all caused many to review the gun control pros and cons that are believed to shape future debate.... [tags: gun safety, children and weapons]
1292 words (3.7 pages)
- ... Lives can be saved if guns are restricted from the wrong hands. The Supreme Court has ruled one of many gun law reformations, cited by Supreme Court decision District of Columbia v. Heller, which reiterated the right to bear arms is far from unlimited. (ThinkProcess) In the year since Newton shootings, 39 state laws have tightened restrictions on guns, but 79 states have loosened them. (Associated Press) Many lives can be saved if tragedies are prevented because of the reformation of gun laws.... [tags: gun control, firearms]
879 words (2.5 pages)
- Gun Control in Canada Gun Control is an important issue to Canadians. Canada has both provincial and federal legislation that restricts the sale, purchase, and use of different kinds of firearms. The United States, on the other hand, do not have federal or state bills restricting the possession or use of firearms, only local laws exist there. A firearm consists of any barreled weapon from which a shot, bullet or other missile can be fired and that is capable of causing serious bodily harm or death.... [tags: Research Papers]
2094 words (6 pages)
- There are many views about gun control especially about assault weapons. People are both for it and against it. The people who are for the ban believes the weapons can only be used for violence. They don’t want to recognize that people against the ban have several different reasons to own their guns. These reasons can vary; some people just want protection; others want to use their guns for sport. This pleasurable pastime will also provide a variety of food to supplement family grocery supplies and to help people save on food costs.... [tags: Gun Control]
766 words (2.2 pages)