My first reason for being pro-hunting is population control. Hunting is a legitimate and ethical method to stop wildlife populations from overpopulating and inevitably dying off. According to the Department of Natural Resources, “deer/vehicle accidents declined by more than fifty percent as a result of managed hunting programs in sections of Montgomery County, Virginia, and the United States” (Hotton). The anti-hunting group P.E.T.A proposes that there are alternate methods such as sterilization. According to an article by PETA, “if females are captured, marked, and counted, sterilization reduces herd size” (PETA). There are two methods of sterilization that may be used. The first method is surgical sterilization. The way this is done is by removing parts of the reproductive system. The problem is that “this method is extremely costly, ranging up to $1000 per deer” (“Deer Control”). The second method is the “ligation of the oviduct” (“Deer Control”). “This method is effective, but very expensive and puts a lot of stress ...
... middle of paper ...
...laughterhouse." PBS. PBS, 31 Mar. 2002. Web. 23 Feb. 2012.
PVCI. "PVCI." Bobcat. Web. 03 May 2012.
Ramsey, P. S. "Poaching." Encyclopedia of Environmental Issues, Revised Edition. Ed. Craig W. Allin, 2nd ed. 3 vols. Salem Press, 2011. Salem Science Web. 06 Oct. 2011.
"Tradition." Dictionary.com. Dictionary.com. Web. 03 May 2012.
Staff, CBS News. "Pink Slime in Ground Beef: What's the Big Deal?" CBSNews. CBS Interactive, 14 Mar. 2012. Web. 02 May 2012.
"Subsistence." Dictionary.com. Dictionary.com. Web. 02 May 2012.
"Subsistence Hunting in a Global Economy." The Arctic and the Global Economy. Making Waves: A Newstetter for Community Economic Development [CED] Practitioners in Canada,vol 4, No 3. Web. 02 May 2012.
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- Benefits of Hunting Have you ever wondered if hunting is beneficial. Hunting effects wild game in both good and bad ways. It is considered both a bad and good thing in different people's eyes. You will learn why these people think hunting is wrong, are in fact, themselves wrong. People think that all hunters are just murders who like to kill animal for that fun of it. Those people are wrong. Most hunters kill for their meat, hide, or antlers. When a hunter goes hunting for a deer they take at least a couple days to look for the right deer they want to kill.... [tags: Hunting, Deer, Game, White-tailed deer, Predation]
1053 words (3 pages)
- People think hunting is barbaric and inhumane, but it helps keep the environment strong, keeps the animal populations at a healthy level, and is good for the people who hunt them. Hunting is practiced all over the world and has been for thousands of years. People oppose hunting simply because they see it as black-hearted or immoral. They do not see the rich qualities that come with hunting. If only they open their eyes to the wonderful qualities hunting provides, then they could see the good hunting does in this world.... [tags: Hunting, The Animals, Deer, Animal trapping]
1165 words (3.3 pages)
- On a cold autumn day, I sat on a ridge overlooking a peaceful valley. The morning passed by with nothing eventful occurring. However, as the day dragged on it began to snow, and with the snow came fog. It was next to impossible to see fifty yards in front of me. Disappointed I began to pack up and head for home. About fifteen minutes into my walk home, the snow subsided and fog dissipated. I began to walk more consciously knowing that it had approached the best time of the evening for spotting game, and the weather had decided cooperate with me.... [tags: Outdoor Sporting]
1045 words (3 pages)
- When a Minnesota dentist killed a prized African lion named "Cecil" he received an onslaught of criticism and reignited the debate concerning hunting. To many people, hunting is a cruel and inhuman act. For others, hunting is a sport and a way of life. Is hunting ethical. Should hunting be allowed to continue. First off, what is hunting. According to the Encyclopedia Britannica, hunting is a “sport that involves the seeking, pursuing, and killing of wild animals and birds, called game and game birds, primarily in modern times with firearms but also with bow and arrow” (“hunting”).... [tags: Sport Hunting]
2170 words (6.2 pages)
- The killing of Zimbabwe's most well-known and much-photographed lion, affectionately named Cecil, ignited a firestorm of controversy and debate. This essay will explore hunting and trapping, both play key roles in maintaining a balance in the animal kingdom. Both sports have been a tradition since the beginning of mankind. Men needed to hunt and trap to feed their families and stay alive. For some people that is still true today and others it is a hobby that has become a passion. Did you know that hunters pay $796 million a year in conservation programs.... [tags: animal kingdom, hunting, trapping]
2330 words (6.7 pages)
- Hunting needs to be planned ahead. According to realtree.com, “Ideally, scouting should begin well before the season opener, but for the traveling hunter, this may not be possible.” The best starting point on your hunting property is to use topographical maps and aerial photographs. Check for creeks and streams. Also check for fields, although you may not be able to see much from an aerial photograph they are often prime feeding areas. Check tracks, if they’re dry and eroded it probably would’ve been made a few days or even weeks ago.... [tags: Hunting, White-tailed deer, Deer]
753 words (2.2 pages)
- "Run Bambi. Run!" Those three words have echoed inside children's minds for generations. Many wept at the cruelty with which the hunters needlessly slaughtered young Bambi's mother and many more vowed never to kill a living animal. Walt Disney was a master at evoking anti-hunting feelings. He portrayed the animals in his movies and cartoons as gentle, innocent creatures, which caused no trouble and asked for no trouble. However, were his animals really innocent. Are animals, in general, really innocent and are hunters all the cruel, heartless murderers that so many make them out to be.... [tags: Hunting is Necessary]
2126 words (6.1 pages)
- The Benefits of hunting in our Society(Draft) Hunting has always been a cornerstone of the American way of life. To Our forefathers, and Native Americans before them, hunting was a necessary for their survival. In our current times hunting, generally, is not viewed as a way of life, but as a destructive pastime. What most people don't understand is that without hunting, the population of deer and other wild game could grow to unsustainable levels. Without hunters, animals could overpopulate, and cause great ecological damage.... [tags: maintaining a balanced ecosystem]
1573 words (4.5 pages)
- When a Minnesota dentist killed a prized African lion named "Cecil" he received an onslaught of criticism and reignited the debate concerning big game hunting. Is big game hunting wrong. Should big game hunting continue. Big game hunting has been a very controversial topic for some time and these types of questions are being asked daily. There are a lot of people for it and a lot of people against it. This issue causes a lot of extreme behaviors and ideas by both sides. Those who oppose it believe it to be morally wrong, unfair to the animals and damaging to the environment.... [tags: Benefits of Hunting]
2020 words (5.8 pages)
- When a Minnesota dentist killed a prized African lion named "Cecil" he received an onslaught of criticism and reignited the debate concerning hunting. I hunt. I have hunted for years and I don't see anything wrong with it. The reasons I hunt are for the meat, I think it tastes better than store-bought meat and it doesn't have any additives in it, and for the time I get to spend out in the mountains. However, there are some people who are against hunting. The deer and elk population is growing at an alarming rate.... [tags: Argumentative Persuasive Topics]
959 words (2.7 pages)