Vitamins are organic and non-caloric micro-nutrients that are essential to life. They are broken down into two major classifications: Fat-soluble vitamins (A, D, E, and K) and Water-soluble vitamins (C, B). Vitamins a...
... middle of paper ...
...e benefits outweigh most of the risks. Only because you can manage what you put into your body.
Dietary supplements: Do they help or hurt? What you need to know before taking a vitamin or mineral supplement. Harvard Women's Health Watch [serial online]. 2013;20 (5):1-7. Available from: CINAHL Plus with Full Text, Ipswich, MA. Accessed March 11, 2014.
Guallar E, Stranges S, Mulrow C, Appel L, Miller E. Enough is enough: Stop wasting money on vitamin and mineral supplements. Annals Of Internal Medicine [serial online]. December 17, 2013;159(12):850-851. Available from: MEDLINE Complete, Ipswich, MA. Accessed March 11, 2014.
McCormick D. Vitamin/trace mineral supplements for the elderly. Advances In Nutrition (Bethesda, Md.) [serial online]. November 1, 2012;3(6):822-824. Available from: MEDLINE Complete, Ipswich, MA. Accessed March 11, 2014.
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- The Dangers of Taking Supplements Americans spend billions of dollars every year on vitamin and dietary supplements. Over 60 percent of Americans buy and take supplements for all sorts of reasons such as preventing illnesses, depression, weight loss, and even curing cancer (Hurley). They have also been used as an alternative to receive the nutrients that some people are unable to obtain naturally. However, controversies over the harmful uses of supplements have surfaced. Some say that major risks can negatively affect the overall well-being, while others still believe benefits still warrant their use.... [tags: Vitamin, Dietary supplement, Essential nutrient]
1826 words (5.2 pages)
- Dietary supplements are a product you eat or drink. These are a being manufactured with intend to help a person’s health and well-being. There are thousands of supplements on the market and a consumer may wonder which product will help. First off, According to the US Government, dietary supplements represent a vast and growing market among American consumers interested in maintaining or improving their health, appearance, or vigor. In 1994, there were approximately 4,000 dietary supplement products on the market, and by 2008, this number was estimated to have grown to about 75,000 supplements available to consumers (Journal of Consumer Affairs).... [tags: Weight loss, FDA]
736 words (2.1 pages)
- According to the 2002 Harris poll, seven out of ten adults in the United States take vitamins, minerals, herbs, or other supplements (Schardt 2). Due to media advertising, dietary supplements are becoming more popular. Companies compete to have the best supplements. It is said that forty percent of American adults take vitamin supplements and over the counter products, which total in several billion dollars (Farley 2). Although many of the supplements claim to be healthy and help lose weight, the dangers are endless.... [tags: Health, Nutrition]
2092 words (6 pages)
- Being healthy is the most important thing to improve and protect mind and body. There are a lot of ways to stay healthy such as medical checkups, exercise, stress reduction, adequate sleep and eating properly. A healthy diet includes avoiding foods with poor nutrition, eating certain foods and taking supplements. Health supplements reduce deficiencies in the bodies of people who need nutrients and cannot find them in nature. The amount of money spent by Americans on health supplements per year is around one and a half to two billion dollars, so supplements are a good investment for their health.... [tags: supplements, omega 3, healthy diet]
1123 words (3.2 pages)
- Herbal Dietary Supplements Fit America Fit America touts itself as the very best and most practical 100% Natural system of weight loss that helps an individual lose weight without dieting. Fit America is a natural weight control that is composed of 13 herbs and minerals that supposedly "help suppress appetite, regulate the bowels and kidneys, and stimulates the metabolism so the body uses the foods consumed more efficiently." The Fit America program requires a high protein, low carbohydrate diet.... [tags: Diet Supplement Weight Loss Gain Research Paper]
2088 words (6 pages)
- The US Centers for Disease Prevention and Control reports that there has been an increasing number of Americans who are taking dietary supplements in the last decade compared to those in the 90s. Researchers estimate that more than half of the population is taking at least one health supplement daily, the most common of which are multivitamins. More women who are older than 60 have also been taking calcium and vitamin D supplements. Other common types of dietary supplements include herbal products and other compounds taken to induce weight loss, improve sexual function and enhance body building.... [tags: health, disease control]
928 words (2.7 pages)
- The four billion a year supplement industry sells steroid supplements and herbal speed to millions of teenage boys and girls. There are many types of supplements; among the most popular are Creatine, Andro (androstenedione), and ephedrine. All of these supplements are legal but are they safe. In this paper I will explore why the FDA has failed to put stronger regulations on these supplements, what they are and what they do, who endorses them, and were and how you can purchase these potentially harmful supplements; with the help from Jay McMahan and his expertise as a personal trainer and user of these herbal supplements.... [tags: essays research papers]
729 words (2.1 pages)
- n estimation in 2004 said that americans nearly spent 20.3 billion in all kinds of dietary supplements. The use of dietary supplements is common among the U.S. population. Over 40 % used supplements in 1988-94 and over one half in 2003- 2006. The most used supplements are multivitamins and multiminerals. Approximately 40 % of men and women reporting use of these two supplements in 2006. You 're body needs to have vitamin D to absorb calcium and promote bone growth. By using vitamin d your body will have the proper calcium your body needs and it will improve your bone growth.... [tags: Nutrition, Dietary supplement, Vitamin]
1148 words (3.3 pages)
- The Dangers of Metabolife Obesity: The term obese implies that one is very "fat", extremely overweight, and often carries negative connotations. However the scientific definition describes obese in a non-judgmental way that simply expresses ones weight as a number, a certain body mass index (BMI). Since the early 1980s, BMI has been the medical standard for obtaining obesity measurements (http://www.quantumhcp.com/obesity.htm). Government researchers and scientists developed the BMI to take height into account in weight measurements.... [tags: Obesity Weight Loss Diet Papers]
3957 words (11.3 pages)
- What is excellence. Is it perfection, a goal, a feeling, a gift. To some athletes, it is an everyday challenge that comes easy; to others it might not be so easy. Whether it holds a psychological meaning or it’s just another goal to set, it shows a persons attitude and dedication towards a sport. To what extremes will people actually go to reach excellence. Some athletes strive so hard that they will try almost anything to reach their peak of excellence, the extremes that some go through to reach that peak may be either a safe or dangerous road to travel.... [tags: Drug Abuse, Substance Abuse]
1461 words (4.2 pages)