Domestic production of mattresses and foundations in 2010 was slightly below 6 billion dollars and almost 16% less than the peak mattress production of 2007 (International Sleep Products Association, 2010). Many consumers have lost confidence in the economic state of the country and therefore have begun to believe that, as Newt Gingrich said recently, "if you can’t afford to buy a house, don’t buy it" (Gingrich, 2010). The economic downturn has signaled the end of conspicuous consumption, defined as “the act or practice of spending money on expensive things that are not necessary in order to impress other people” (Merrian-Webster's Leaner's Dictionary, 2010).
Identify functional and dysfunctional control systems within your own organization
I am currently a Senior Vice-President of Sales for King Koil Licensing (“King Koil”). The company licenses mattress-manufacturing facilities, called licensees, both domestically and internationally, to produce the brands that King Koil owns. The l...
... middle of paper ...
...ving the wherewithal to maintain our lifestyle will be difficult to achieve if this strategy fails. From a professional standpoint, I have had a certain level of success as a retail executive for the past 37 years, and have built a reputation that I do not want sullied through an association with a company that fails. The mattress industry in America has contracted as consumers have suffered through these difficult economic times and will continue to face more changes in the global environment and changes in the task environment. The enterprises that remain stuck in the middle, stick to the “old ways”, react to these changes too late will likely go the way of Two Guys, Kobackers, Woolworth’s, Montgomery Ward, Circuit City, Studebaker, and too many other businesses that failed to move their organizations through the economic mine fields that confronted them.
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- The Changing Mattress Industry in America Changes in the global environment in conjunction with the deepest and most prolonged economic downturn since the Great Depression have started what I believe is a sea change in the domestic mattress industry. Factors such as declining new home sales, tightening of consumer credit, the consumer confidence index still well below pre-recessionary levels (Wang, 2010) and unemployment hovering near 10% have all contributed to the end of conspicuous consumption for big-ticket items like mattresses and foundations (‘mattresses’).... [tags: Business Industry Analysis]
2505 words (7.2 pages)
- Introduction With the advancement in communication technology, transportation and other technologies the world has shrink into a global village. Products developed in a country are now widely accepted in other regions of the globe as well. Many companies have been developing marketing strategies to fulfill the need, in an increasingly globalize market, for several years. There are a number of companies that are being recognized by and whose brand names are familiar to most of the people in every region of the world.... [tags: globalization, marketing, costs]
1313 words (3.8 pages)
- You will spend roughly a third of your entire life sleeping on your mattress. So obviously, you do not want it spewing out harmful chemicals in the middle of the night. Ideally, your mattress should be both comfortable and firm. Luckily, the Serta 12 Inch Gel-Memory Foam Mattress provides you with just that. A luxury memory foam and gel mattress that does away with potentially harmful chemicals and allergens. The specialized design conforms to the shape of your body, providing excellent comfort and pain relief.... [tags: United States customary units, Imperial units]
942 words (2.7 pages)
- INTRODUCTION In this age of rapidly changing business environment, many organisations and business houses faces a constant pressure to continuously adapt and redefine their business process. One of the key processes in doing business whether big or small ranging from small grocery store to a big retail chain is the supply chain process. With the increase in exposure of the companies to the global environment, liberal trade policies, business partnerships and virtual proximity between any two locations of the world, supply chain management has become one of the buzz words in this global business environment.... [tags: Adapt, Redefine, Businessess Processes]
1662 words (4.7 pages)
- Plan of Investigation The purpose of the essay is to answer the question: How has Archie Comics reflected changing gender norms in the United States of America from World War II to the present of women in contemporary American society, in its eventual challenge of the position of men as the dominant sex, and in its inclusion of previously marginalized sexual orientations. As entertainment primarily targeted to middle-class America, Archie is a helpful avenue by which to understand acceptable views.... [tags: Changing Gender Norms in Archie Comics]
2851 words (8.1 pages)
- The Advantages of Changing a Business Into a Company James wants to change his business into a company; James will receive many benefits if he chooses to take this option. I am going to talk about the main advantages of changing his business into a company which includes the limited liability that James will be entitled to. A company is a business organisation that is registered under the Companies Act 1965, this legislation means that the organisation created is subject to different rules.... [tags: Papers]
2453 words (7 pages)
- INTRODUCTION As you know, Microsoft has been operating under strenuous production conditions. Employees are required to put in very long hours often without monetary benefit. They are also expected to push the envelope in creating new and innovative components. They are stretched to the max and it is necessary for them to be flexible to continue to be creative and meet Microsoft's demands. I have outlined a number of issues that should be addressed with the goal of changing the way new talent is sought after and hired.... [tags: essays research papers]
1642 words (4.7 pages)
- Start a Bussiness The decision to purchase a business of your own is not an easy task. There are many things to consider before the final decision is made. First of all, exactly what do you want to accomplish. To make millions of dollars, right. Or is it to have the freedom of being your own boss. Whatever the reason, you must be sure that it is something that you are ready to devote an exorbitant amount of time and energy into and that it is something that you really want. Otherwise, you might be stuck doing something that you hate.... [tags: GCSE Business Marketing Coursework]
2652 words (7.6 pages)
- Changing Oil in Your Car When the average person's car needs an oil change we drive to a Quick Lube and have it done in 20 minutes. Another alternative would be to change the oil your self, this is a fairly simple process, most people with some common sense and some basic hand tools can do it at home on a weekend. The first step is finding out how much oil your car holds and what kind of oil filter fits on your cars engine. Your car's owner's manual will have a capacity section in the back, down the list till you come to the engine oil capacity, and the chart will list the number of quarts that your car needs.... [tags: Process Descriptive How To Changing Oil]
979 words (2.8 pages)
- The Forever Changing Economy How easy is it for smaller business men to achieve the Aamerican dream. How to stop corporate domination. The question I pose to you is " Is the American Dream still achievable?" The opportunity is there but for what select few is the opportunity available to. If the resources are out there but I can't tap into the resources they rae of no use to me. (Make note of the fact that we live in a market economy. Just about every definition of the "market" in the dictionary connotes an oppurtunity as a place where goods are bought and sold.(cite dict.) As an abstraction, a market is the possibility of sale.... [tags: Business Economics]
1669 words (4.8 pages)