Essay PreviewMore ↓
Many psychiatrists have found that patients with anger management problems can be calmer with a pet around the house. Sometimes, just the feel of a pet in the house can do wonders on the nerves and eliminate certain aggravation. A significant point that has been brought up by animal right activists is that abuse inflicted on animals is, in many cases caused by frustration caused by an outside conflict. Outside conflicts can be caused by work stress, school or relationships.
Also, people need companionship to keep stress and mental anguish at bay. When people begin questioning why they are alone, they begin doubting their own self-worth. Then suicide becomes an issue. When a person becomes depressed, their body pays the price. A depressed person will neglect to care for themselves and will slowly deteriorate. Having a pet will give said person companionship. Just being able to have someone to come home and talk to or play with could be the difference between serenity and psychosis. In women, especially, is the extra comfort provided in just being able to care for someone.
Apart from that, owning a pet forces one to take on the responsibility of keeping it alive. One’s pet must be fed, watered, and kept healthy. Doing this requires us to move about.
How to Cite this Page
"The Advantages of Keeping pets." 123HelpMe.com. 23 Oct 2019
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- How many people can say that they have a pet that has been around, in some form or other, for 300 million years. Reptiles are fascinating animals that have been around since the Carboniferous Period, 300 million years ago. Many different species of reptiles have come and gone over the course of time and there are five main groups. Turtles and tortoises are distinguished by the presence of their carapace, or shells, which is also their main defense against predators. Lizards are the most diverse and varied among the reptiles with many different types from chameleons, to iguanas, to geckos, to monitor lizards which includes the largest of all lizards; the Komodo dragon.... [tags: Pro Con Essays]
929 words (2.7 pages)
- The advantages of choosing a mobile dog groomer for your special friend Regular grooming for your dog is important for keeping your dog clean and healthy. Grooming helps to remove excess hair, keep the coat clean and enables you to take a quick health check to ensure your best friend is in good health condition. While many dog owners understand the importance of grooming their pets, many are not able to keep up with the regular grooming needs. Some have a busy lifestyle and grooming their own dogs becomes a chore rather than fun time with their pet.... [tags: Dog, Pet, Health, Long hair]
752 words (2.1 pages)
- Pets can be very both physically and emotionally beneficial to their owners. Living with and caring for them can also be a great experience and very entertaining. Even browsing YouTube, thousands of pet owners record their little friend's amusing tricks and humorous incidents to share with the world. Although these videos or pictures can encourage your desire for a similar companion, many details to keeping an animal of that sort may not be evident. There is a huge variety of species available, from tarantulas to munchkin cats, with many ways to obtain them, but not everyone can handle a giant arachnid or endure changing kitty litter.... [tags: Pets]
919 words (2.6 pages)
- Parents often wonder what makes a good first pet. Hamsters are often the first choice while its close relative the guinea pig is often overlooked. While both creatures are loveable, the bigger guinea pig makes a better pet for children. At a pet store the guinea pig will cost roughly three times as much as a hamster. If cost is a large concern, pigs and hamsters alike can be adopted for little to no cost and sometimes come with free cages. Naturally, the guinea pig as the larger rodent will need a bigger cage; however, after putting all sorts of tubes on a hamster cage they will take up about the same amount of space and the hamster cage could end up costing a bit more than that of the pig’... [tags: Pets]
606 words (1.7 pages)
- Simin Ling Professor Taylor Harrison Rhetoric 105 23 April 2016 Raising pets helps kids to be considerate Have you ever had a pet. As we know, more and more families have pets in their homes nowadays regardless of which country. Data showed an estimated 82.5 million U.S. households own at least one pet in their home. The American Pet Products Association, which is also called APPA, claimed that pet ownership by household in the U.S. has risen from just 56% in 1988, when the first APPA National Pet Owners Survey was conducted, to 68% as of 2013-2014.... [tags: Dog, Pet, Pets, Ownership]
1160 words (3.3 pages)
- The government is conducting an idea to whether lower the minimum legal drinking age in the United States or not. Many Americans forbid the idea of legalizing the drinking age so that it would be profitable to the businesses. Likewise, there have been many advantages and disadvantages of why should the government allow young adults drink under the age of 21. To prevent this issue, many Americans have provided reasoning that will support the idea of keeping the minimum legal drinking age where it is now.... [tags: Advantages, Disadvantages, Young Adults]
1296 words (3.7 pages)
- Problem Statement Overpopulation of pets is growing in the US by the numbers each day. Current Situation According to the article “Pet Statistics” by the ASPCA estimates there are 70-80 million dogs and 74-96 million cats owned in the United States. It is impossible to determine the number of stray dogs and cats, but the ASPCA estimates there are 70 million cats alone that are strays in the US (“Pet Statistics”). The overpopulation of dogs and cats live either on the streets and die each day, they live in a shelter and try to get adopted, but even then they die.... [tags: Dog, Pet, Pets, Pet adoption]
1281 words (3.7 pages)
- ... They are just a nuisance and they deserve to die anyway. Just think about how much food we will have once we start killing these animals. We won’t even have to tell everyone that they are eating cats and dogs if they don’t want. You could add some nice seasoning and cook them just long enough till the meat is tender and they will never be able to tell the difference. So many people will love the way they food taste business will be rich due to all the people wanting this food. Then for all those people who have pets they won’t have to take care of them anymore.... [tags: household, pets, saving, enjoyment, die]
588 words (1.7 pages)
- In this paper I will argue robotic pets will be able to, and should be anthropomorphized like animals and will be able to take the place of pets in the lives of those unable to have pets. Anthropomorphism is the interpretation of something that is not human, as having human characteristics. This can also be called personification. Anthropomorphism was originally used to make the gods of religions more human like, but has since spread to anything non-human, such as animals, weather, or landforms.... [tags: Anthropomorphized Animals, Robot Animals]
1955 words (5.6 pages)
- Disaster Relief Just as Louisiana began to reconstruct itself from a natural disaster another hurricane hits and causes many evacuees sent back to shelters. Many people fail to understand or realize how people and pets still don't have a place to live. Because shelters are overpopulated due to recent natural disasters, many pets of disaster victims still need a permanent place to live. Recent disasters caused people to become homeless. Many people did not believe the hurricanes were going to cause as much damage as they did to the affected cities.... [tags: Personal Essays]
1359 words (3.9 pages)
In conclusion, there are many reasons owning a pet can increase one’s life span. Pets provide responsibility, exercise, and most importantly, companionship. For those in fear of an early demise, remember that pets can keep you healthy and happy.