Samsung Galaxies, iPhones, HTCs, Droids, Windows phones and many other smartphones have contributed to this disastrous world of texting while driving. Many teens, as well as adults, have formed habits of using their cell phones while driving in their cars. Many drivers today have busy lives and don’t have enough time to complete what is needed in a single day’s time. Because of that, people turn to working on the road and that includes checking their emails, calling and/or texting. Texting while driving is proving to be a quite perilous act and can be fatal when people take their focus off the road and put on the cell phone. Whether people think they can safely type on their phone while driving or just don’t think that no real danger in the act exists, it doesn’t matter. Texting while driving in Arizona should be illegal.
The seeds of this issue were planted in 1992, when Neil Papworth successfully sent the first text message to Richard Jarvis with the text encrypting “Merry Christmas.”(Erickson). From that day forth, texting is increasing in popularity with each passing year. Texting while driving may seem acceptable to some, but it’s not. Texting while driving can be compared to the impairments of drunk driving since a person’s mind is distracted while they are texting and driving. The issue began in the late twentieth and early twenty-first century when hand-held devices with texting rose in popularity. Although, the extent of its staying power was unclear early on, with the release of the first iPhone in 2007, it was clear the texting craze was here to stay. This new found technology quickly found its way into the automobile and results in the deaths of thousands and thousands of innocent people ever...
... middle of paper ...
...o operators who text while they are driving. Many people think that it is less important to focus on the road ahead of them and think that it is more important to stay connected with the outside world. Although, staying connected with the outside world isn’t as important as non-distracted driving. They are putting themselves and others at risk of death. Other people, who are trying to get to their destination safely, could be harmed by the drivers who text while they drive. Fewer car accidents would be taking place each year and the roads would be safer if today’s culture would see the peril of texting while driving. The distracted drivers have to know what position they are putting themselves and with other drivers. Drivers should never have their attention directed to their cell phones and should always keep their eyes on the road in order to promote public safety.
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- As technology advances, people become notorious for using their electronics in inappropriate situations. Teenagers in present day commonly text at the dinner table, while crossing a street, and even while driving. Not only do teenagers text, their parents do, as well. Texting is a frequent fad among the young adults, it also a convenient method for parents to keep in contact with their children. People nowadays have to be in contact with friends and family at every moment of the day especially while driving it is the equivalent of driving under the influence, using hand-held devices (like Bluetooth) will decrease the number of accidents caused by phones, and studies show texting reduces a p... [tags: Driving Texting]
1057 words (3 pages)
- “It’s the number one killer of teens” (Clark, 2013). A war is waging on throughout the streets of America. Everyday people risk their lives by driving. The enemy. Texting while driving. It is the act of composing, sending, or reading text messages while behind the wheels of a running vehicle. Driving under this influence is extremely careless and dangerous to others and is likely to cause accidents resulting in injuries or deaths. This problem is on the rise because the only ones with the power to make an impact against ending this war are law makers and law enforcement.... [tags: law enforcement, text message, habit]
1004 words (2.9 pages)
- Janet Froetscher who is on the National Safety Council stated, “We know that at least 1.6 million car crashes involve drivers using cell phones and texting.” This high number of accidents breaks down to 11 deaths of just teenagers a day. Texting while driving should be made illegal to save lives. Mike Dudzinski a current fire captain of Peoria, Arizona stated in an interview that in just a year he experiences about 100 deaths with texting being the cause. Texting while driving is a wide controversy that needs to be made as a law in order to protect lives.... [tags: safety policies on the road]
879 words (2.5 pages)
- ... Incoming calls and text messaging would rate the greatest threat would instantly distract most teens. Any inattention to the road could cause a serious or lethal accident. A few months ago in Casa Grande, AZ an accident involving a teen who was texting lost his life with another passenger seriously injured in the opposing car. “According to the American Automobile Association, almost half of teens admit to texting while driving.” (Distracted Driving 253) Other distractions would include programming global positioning system, smoking, eating, drinking, and applying make-up.... [tags: maturity, danger, safety]
797 words (2.3 pages)
- If you are driving at 55mph for 5 seconds in that amount of time you could cross a football field. People don’t understand how dangerous distracted driving really is. All states should have some sort of legal parameters of what happens when you get caught using your cell phone while driving. People should get a stronger/ harsher punishment for the use of a cellular device while driving. People are way more impaired when you are distracted and driving than you are drinking and driving. The problem with this is that so many people do it and it is so unbearable hearing so many stories of how many people die every year because they make the mistake.... [tags: laws, death, driving, cell phones]
816 words (2.3 pages)
- As you are stopped at a stoplight impatiently waiting for the light to turn, you glance into the review window to check on your younger brother or sister in the back seat. When you elevate your eyes just a few inches further up, you see a car hurtling towards you. Not stopping, not slowing down. The driver looking downward at their lap. Your heart rate and your breathing increase as you think about at a way to get the drivers attention or to maneuver out of their way. Right before you blink you make eye contact with the driver as they look up and realize that they need to stop.... [tags: Mobile phone, Text messaging, Instant messaging]
1006 words (2.9 pages)
- Cell phones are necessary to have in the car because they save lives and are very convenient. “As of 2013, about 80 percent of the world 's population uses mobile phones” ("21st Century"). To ask for a ban of one of the most popular technological advancements society has ever seen would be crazy. Cell phones has become more than just a tool to connect with another person. Cell phones contain the same characteristics of a computer, so most people take advantage of these qualities while driving to work every day.... [tags: Mobile phone, Text messaging, Cellular network]
1180 words (3.4 pages)
- Driving While "Intexicated": Laws and Prevention "Where u at?" - was the last text message 18 year old, Mariah West, sent before she lost control of her car and hit a bridge in May of 2009. She was on her way to a minor league baseball game and was replying to the player who invited her. As she looked down at her phone, she lost control of her car, slid across the median and hit the bridge. The car skidded on its roof and slid into oncoming traffic. Mariah was partially ejected from the car which resulted in her skull being crushed.... [tags: Text messaging, Mobile phone, SMS, Automobile]
3048 words (8.7 pages)
- There is 250 Million American who has a cell phone. Georgia house bill 23 would ban texting and talking drivers who are under 18 years old (Dickensheets N. Pag). Some people think that texting while driving should be unbanned because not everyone would be impaired when performing this task. However I think texting and driving should be banned because it costs too many injuries and death you see on TV and the news that are related to this. Some people thinks that driving and texting is just a simple task like picking up a phone and just press random buttons on it.... [tags: texting bans, driving, texting,]
565 words (1.6 pages)
- Welcome to the world of technology, the world where nothing can wait and everything is so important it needs to be handled right now. Cell phones are just one piece of technology that many think they cannot live without and are able take with them everywhere. People eat with them, sleep with them and do just about everything else in between with them. There was a time before cell phones when things had to wait and it was okay. The world did not stop because there was no answer or someone was unavailable.... [tags: Mobile phone, Text messaging, Bluetooth]
1915 words (5.5 pages)