Five seconds is the average time your eyes are off the road while texting. When traveling at 55mph, that 's enough time to cover the length of a football field blindfolded(Olsen, Rebecca L.). In the world we live in today we are constantly trying to keep up with all the social aspects that occur in our lives, teens especially think that it is crucial to send/recive a text or use a cell phone while driving. Every day our roads are introduced to new and inexperienced drivers. Ones that for the first time are getting behind the wheel for the first time without any adult supervision. Some may think that it is the “cool” thing to text and drive, that you may look very experienced if you can handle the wheel and text at the same time. But many adolescent teens do not understand the difficulty involved when trying to text and drive. Some may feel that they have so much going on and the only time they can connect to friends and family is while they are driving from place to place, because they “are not” doing anything important. Our highways are already dangerous zones, of themselves can have harsh weather conditions, bumper to bumper traffic, and other distractions that go along with driving. People think the roads are safe, but the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) reports that texting and driving is the number one killer of teens in the United States. Is texting and driving sadly becoming the next big problem, is it the leading cause of deaths on our nation 's’ highways, and is there a solution? Yes the only solution is to just Stop it! If you get a text, do not look at it, it is not worth it!
Texting and driving has become a huge problem in our society according to a study done by NHTSA with...
... middle of paper ...
Marino, Kristin. "Texting and Driving Statistics." Texting and Driving Statistics. N.p., 22 June 2012. Web. 04 Dec. 2015.
"National Highway Traffic Safety Administration Joins the State Attorneys General and Ad Council to Unveil New Public Service Advertising Campaign to Urge Young Adult Drivers to 'Stop the Texts ' and 'Stop the Wrecks '" AdCouncil. N.p., n.d. Web. 04 Dec. 2015.
Olson, Rebecca L., Richard J. Hanowski, Jeffrey S. Hickman, and Joseph Bocanegra. "Driver Distractions In Commercial Vehicle Operations." PsycEXTRA Dataset (2009): n. pag. Web. 4 Dec. 2015.
Sharon, Keith. "Billboard: 'Someone Texting and Driving Killed Our Daughter. Your Text Can Wait. '" The Orange County Register. Orange County Register, 10 Sept. 2015. Web. 04 Dec. 2015.
Simon, Dave. "Texting and Driving." New York Times. N.p., 22 June 2013. Web. 4 Dec. 2015.
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- Dangers of Texting and Using Cell Phones While Driving The use of cell phones while driving has become more popular among drivers over the past ten years. Furthermore, Kiernan Hopkins states, People who text while driving tend to stray from their lanes into other lanes, other cars and even off the road altogether (paragraph 4): thus creating a danger to all who drive. Think about how often you see vehicles driving really slow on the freeways as you pass them you see them looking at their phone not paying attention to the road.... [tags: Mobile phone, Text messaging, Automobile]
1229 words (3.5 pages)
- It is unquestionable that texting while driving or using any mobile device for any reason especially for texting is a recipe for disaster. Being stuck behind a texter is a frustrating experience to say the least. They might cause you to stay an extra cycle at the light because they did not notice the light turning green. This can set off a driver and induce road rage and now there are multiple dangerous drivers on the road. If you text and drive your nit just a hazard at lights, texters swerve and cause accidents because their focus is not driving.... [tags: Mobile phone, Text messaging, Amy Klobuchar]
1245 words (3.6 pages)
- Mobile phone use in motor vehicles has increased at a remarkable rate over the past 15 years. Yet it is undeniable that utilizing a cell phone while driving can affect driver performance as it relates to the overall safe operation of a vehicle. There are a number of things to consider in deciding whether the trade off in convenience is worth the potential risks associated with the distraction created by a cell phone. Given the fact that the individual driver (and/or business owner) ultimately pays for the resulting consequences associated with an auto or truck accident (financial, emotional and physical lose); it is prudent to seek out relevant and reliable information in making a decisio... [tags: Texting Driving Cell phone car accident]
1640 words (4.7 pages)
- This paper examines the dangers that arise when cell phones are used at the same time as operating a vehicle. The paper will explore the following question of why this is a problem and why the research is important. The variables investigated are the use of cell phones while driving, whether speaking or texting, and the accidents and fatalities caused from the distraction. Data of the accidents and fatalities caused by drivers distracted by their cells phones is stated to research and further explores the age group and gender of the people involved into the accidents to uncover patterns.... [tags: Driving, texting, legalization]
1795 words (5.1 pages)
- Texting while driving is a form of ‘distracted driving.’ The term not only applys to using cell phones when behind the wheel, but also to actions such as eating, drinking, putting on make-up, smoking, and using other devices such as iPods and GPSs. These activities lead to “inattention blindness” which defers drivers focus from the road to the device within their line of view. Distracted driving has thoroughly increased since the invention of new technologies. Texting is physically and visually impairing while driving (Hanes, Massis).... [tags: Distracted Driving]
759 words (2.2 pages)
- Texting While Driving Many states prohibit texting while driving. In fact, laws have been established that prevent drivers from using their cell phone unless it is an emergency. About 73% of drivers say it is easy to text and drive, however 1.3 million car crashes are caused by texting and driving. An effort to band texting and driving in Texas is in limbo in the Senate and was one vote shy of having enough members agree to bring it to the floor. (Tinsley 1) Senator Judith Zaffirini, D-Laredo states that they are so very close and will prevent death, injuries and reduce property damage.... [tags: Mobile phone, Text messaging, Bluetooth]
1463 words (4.2 pages)
- As technology advances, people become notorious for using their electronics in inappropriate situations. Teenagers in present day commonly text at the dinner table, while crossing a street, and even while driving. Not only do teenagers text, their parents do, as well. Texting is a frequent fad among the young adults, it also a convenient method for parents to keep in contact with their children. People nowadays have to be in contact with friends and family at every moment of the day especially while driving it is the equivalent of driving under the influence, using hand-held devices (like Bluetooth) will decrease the number of accidents caused by phones, and studies show texting reduces a p... [tags: Driving Texting]
1057 words (3 pages)
- Even though talking on a cellular phone while driving effects how a person drives, text messaging is consider the most dangerous effect. In studies from scholarly authors, a variety of authors discuss about the differences between text messaging while driving versus conversing while driving, fatality rate caused by automobile accidents due to cell phone usage, and impairing of texting and talking while driving using participants. Though, some people would say the discoveries among authors are just concerns, but these discoveries are serious and driver should consider the concerns because operating a cellphone while driving can cause accidents on roadways.... [tags: DD,text messaging,FARS]
1649 words (4.7 pages)
- Now a days everyone is glued to their phones, constantly checking their emails, facebooking, snapchatting and texting. With all the devices people have and interact with on a day to day basis, there seems to be a lack of knowledge on how dangerous these devices really are. A report done by the AAA traffic safety foundation showed that “Each year, more than 80% of drivers in the annual AAA Foundation Traffic Safety Culture Index cite distraction as a serious problem and a behavior that makes them feel less safe on the road.” With the limited hours of free time during the day, people are using driving time to check emails and make phone calls which is inflicting on the safety of everyone aroun... [tags: Mobile phone, Text messaging, Drunk driving]
827 words (2.4 pages)
- There are more than 3.4 billion cell phone users worldwide, making cell phones more common than computers ("Social Isolation and New Technology”). Cell phones are a modern phenomenon with a greater impact than the Internet in society today. Increased mobility, access to a new technologies and the ability to travel throughout the world with an added sense of security has afforded us the opportunity to explore all that life has to offer. “The Cell-phone has become the preferred channel of basic communication between teens and their friends, other many people with cell calling a close second and texting”( "Social Isolation and New Technology”).... [tags: distraction, texting, communication]
1170 words (3.3 pages)
- The Movie ' The Trouble With Dying '
- Hip Hop : A Culture And Form Of Ground Breaking Music And Self Expression
- The Silent Deep Is A Character Driven, Historical Drama Based On True Events
- Are Gender Specific Roles Still Core?
- Race, Racial, And Racial Identity
- Medi The Main Means Of Mass Communication