Temperate forests are located on every continent except Antarctica and Africa. The biome can be found in the eastern portion of the United States as well as much of Europe, eastern Asia, and eastern Australia(see figure 1). The Appalachian Mountain Region of the United States is one example of a temperate forest biome. A large section of the temperate forest biome is located on the eastern coast of China and it extends northward towards Korea in which it transforms to a different biome, then a another section extends from the southern part of Siberia and continues on into the Korean Peninsula(see figure 1). Europe is largely covered in forest. The location causes the climate to be specific.
(Figure 1) Location of “temperate forests” (Marietta)
The climate of the temperate forest biome consists of an average temperature of ten degrees celsius, and temperatures ranging from negative thirty degrees celsius to positive thirty degrees celsius . The biome has a hot summer and cold winter. Temperate forests are located where they receive all four seasons. They have an average of seven-hundred and fifty to one thousand and five hundred millimeters of precipitation per year(see figure 2). As an example the Appalachian Mountain Region of the United States receive these conditions regularly. The...
... middle of paper ...
.... Human impact is destroying the forests, causing the lungs that rejuvenate the earth daily to die.
Funk & Wagnalls Inc."Forest." Euthanasia to France. USA: Funk & Wagnalls, Inc., 1983. 368-370.
Hooper , Rosanne . "Where In The World ." Life In The Woodlands . Chicago, IL : World Book
Ecology, 2001.6-7. Print.
KDE "KDE Santa Barbara." KDE Santa Barbara. KDE, n.d. Web. 1 May 2014.
Marietta. “Climate” Temperate Deciduous Forest.Marietta, n.d. Web. 28 Apr. 2014.
NASA. “Temperate Deciduous Forest : Mission: Biomes.” Temperate Deciduous Forest : Mission:
Biome . NASA Earth Observatory,n.d. Web 26 Apr. 2014. www.earthobservatory.nasa.gov
Virginia Tech University"TEMPERATE DECIDUOUS FOREST BIOME." Temperate Deciduous
Forest Biome. Virginia Tech University ,n.d. Web. 29 Apr. 2014.www.dendro.cnre.vt.edu
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- Warsaw, Missouri holds the record for both the coldest and the hottest temperatures ever recorded in Missouri ("Missouri Facts and Trivia"). The temperate deciduous forest is home to unique ecosystems and plentiful wildlife and vegetation. The temperature and precipitation in this biome is not too high or too low, hence the word temperate in the name. The terrain in the temperate deciduous biome has a great effect on the adaptations of the living organisms in the area. Missouri belongs in the temperate deciduous forest biome because both regions have similar climate, locations, terrain, flora, and fauna.... [tags: temperature, biome, precipitation, ecosystem]
888 words (2.5 pages)
- The Taiga Biome is a large, naturally occurring community of flora and fauna occupying a major part of both Siberia and North America. It is usually found at high elevations at more temperate latitudes in the Northern Hemisphere. It is the largest terrestrial biome on earth, covering around 50 million acres of land (NP, UC Santa Barbara). It is known for its subarctic climate that ranges between -51 to -1 °C in the winter and -21 to 7 °C in the summer. The two main season found in the taiga are summer and winter as autumn and spring are usually very short and barely noticeable.... [tags: flora, fauna, forest, climate, logging, mining]
1362 words (3.9 pages)
- ... The main characteristic of a tropical rainforest are: • Average rainfall of 50 to 260 inches of per year • average maximum and minimum temperatures of 34oC and 20oC • Humidity between 77 to 88% • 70% of plants are trees • Most of the trees have straight trunks with thin smooth bark with branches that don’t branch out until around 100feet The main characteristics of a temperate deciduous forest are: • Distinctive seasons • Average temperature around 10oC but in winter temperatures may go below freezing • Average rainfall 30 to 60 inches per year • Deciduous trees • Have very fertile soil perfect for agriculture It’s the large amount of rain and constant temperature that makes these... [tags: environmental issues, tropical rainforests]
994 words (2.8 pages)
- Most of us know what rainforests are, and how they can benefit us. But, only few of us know what rainforest do, and how they are most important to Earth. There are two types of rainforests; tropical and temperate rainforest. Tropical rainforest are known mostly for its rich evergreen vegetation. Also, being a home for over 50 percent of the Earth’s living species. Even though, it holds about 7 percent of landmass on Earth. A Tropical Rainforest is a broad leaved evergreen forest, which has high rainfall.... [tags: environment, biome, biodiversity]
541 words (1.5 pages)
Discussion of a biome using specific information about precipitation patterns, plants, animals, and general locations
- QUESTIONS: 1. What biome did you choose to research and study. My choice for study and research was the desert. 2. Describe your biome using specific information about precipitation patterns, plants, animals, and general locations. (you can include pictures) A desert is the driest of all the biomes, receiving, on average, less than 10 inches of precipitation per year. Deserts cover about one fifth of the Earth's land surface and can be classified as hot and dry or cold deserts. The hot and dry deserts are located near the Southern or Northern Tropic, and, just as their name suggests, can receive extreme temperatures of 43-49°C during day and usually have very little rainfall and/or con... [tags: Geography, Biodiversity]
1354 words (3.9 pages)
- There are various ways to classify biome, one of the common ways is grouping biomes into five major types: forest, grasslands, desert, aquatic, and tundra. Identifying a location in the world that is hard to live well and explain needs comparisons from multiple facets, for instance, geographic location, climate, and the food source. Forest biomes are the most complex ecologic systems in the world, and they cover 1/3 of the land on earth. There are three major types of forest biomes: tropical forests, temperate forests, and boreal forests.... [tags: savannas, grassland biomes]
585 words (1.7 pages)
- During the last ice age, a large glacier reigned over Canada and the northern United States. Plants and animals found within these regions shifted over time into areas that were free of ice and established themselves until the ice retreated. These areas were known as glacial refugia (Dyke et al. 2003). A refugium is an isolated location inhabited by a segregated population of one or more species. Areas like these can be found in all corners of the earth and can contain very high amounts of biodiversity.... [tags: forest migration, ice ages]
1119 words (3.2 pages)
- When speaking about the sustainability of forests, sustainability itself must first be defined. The concept of sustainability is not easily defined in a single sentence or even in several sentences. As quoted by Steve Nix (n.d.), the British Columbia Forest Service defines sustainability as the integration of 3 elements, the environment, the economy and the social system, into a single system that can be maintained in a healthy state indefinitely. To achieve and maintain this delicate balance, many different factors within those 3 elements are required to work together in unison.... [tags: Deforestation Essays]
1205 words (3.4 pages)
- Temperate Deciduous Forest Geographical location- The Temperate Deciduous Forest is 30 degrees north and 30 degrees south of the equator. This climate can be found in the north in North America, Europe and Asia. In the south, the climate can be found with South America, Australia, and Africa. Climate facts- the average temperature is 50 degrees (24 degrees celsius) and its high is 86 degrees, this factor depends on the altitude of the forest. The temperate deciduous forest receives an average yearly precipitation of 2 to 5 feet, and the humidity of the forest is 60% to 80%.... [tags: essays research papers]
358 words (1 pages)
- Introduction While looking at tropical rainforests and temperate forests, one will notice a wide diversity of: species, location and values. Tropical rain forests are located along equatorial regions of the globe, while temperate forests tend to shy away from the planets waistline and reside in areas north and south of the equator. Temperature and rainfall has a profound effect on the control of temperate and tropical rainforests. Diversity of species is influenced by the type of forest where the species is located.... [tags: Ecology]
1538 words (4.4 pages)