I chose the first episode of the very popular television program The Event. I viewed the first episode on Netflix, October 20, 2011. This program originally aired on NBC, September 10, 2010, and is titled “I Haven’t Told You Everything”. This program has a total of twenty two series to date and is classified as an action-adventure drama. After viewing a picture of the main characters with the synopsis of this program, I noticed immediately that this was a male dominated show. The picture shows seven people standing together and merely two of the seven are female. The premise of the story is about a man searching for his missing fiancé. The story line was a prime example of the gender male role of the fearless and virile man and the gender female role of the damsel in distress needing a man to save her.
Although the list of main characters of this show has a total of seven this specific episode only brought to the forefront five in total with two being female and three being male. Every scene in this movie is heavily male oriented. All of the main men characters are playing major roles and are portrayed as men of influence with strong convictions. I was able to recognize the importance of their characters quite easily by their actions and titles in the program.
The president is a man and all of his advisors are men. In one scene where the president was entering a facility he was accompanied by four men and one woman. All of the secret service, military, security and police officers are men. There is a scene where there is a busy airplane control center and seven people are working and only one is a woman. In an additional scene where the president is sitting with his top of...
... middle of paper ...
...president; however, I was able to find three series to date that depict woman as presidents: President Laura Roslin – Battlestar Galactica, President Allison Taylor – 24, and President Mackenzie Allen – Commander in Chief. Having resilient woman in compelling roles on television is very important and gives young girls the indication that they can possess the American Dream.
Can a woman truly have the American dream? As an American woman viewing women on television I am not convinced that I can reach all my aspirations, even with hard-work and fortitude. I believe I will always be one step behind a man. Although I think this way, it will not deter me from acquiring a higher education. I will continue to encourage my five year old daughter, Breanna, to strive for excellence and reassure her that she is just as entitled to the American dream as anyone else.
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- Music has played a major role as an agent of socialization in each of my 4 decades. I know and hope that it will continue to do so. During each period music has affected my personality, shown my personality, affected my perceptions and helped me to cope with growing and changing as a person. My Looking Glass Self has compared the person in song and possibly the singer themselves to myself to gain perspective of who I was at each time. I am going to discuss each decade with the thought of how music was an agent of socialization in each.... [tags: Music]
1395 words (4 pages)
- The Media as an Agent in Socialization According to the reading, “Socialization and Culture” from the book “Interdisciplinary English” by Loretta F. Kasper, socialization is the process in which a child learns how to behave in life and participate in a group in society. Socialization has four basic agents: family, school, peers and the mass media. Each one of these agents plays a role in our lives. However, in my opinion, the most important agent of socialization for the development of the child is the mass media.... [tags: Papers]
640 words (1.8 pages)
- This essay is aimed to examine one of the agents of political socialisation for the way in which it operates and the effects it may have in Nigeria. Political socialisation is learning process that begins very early and continues all throughout ones life. Through political socialisation people acquire their perceptions and feelings about their political environment. It accounts for both the commonalties and diversities of political life. (DP Dawson p1). It is an approach to understanding both patterns of similarities and differences in political outlooks among the constituents a given system.... [tags: Political Socialization Essays]
1516 words (4.3 pages)
- Can everything bad in society be blamed on a bad family life. Are parents really at fault. Or are they victims themselves of family. Whether people are born into a family or create their own by birth or by adoption, all humans learn from their parents or caregivers (Kendal, 2013, p.435). They begin to develop a sense of who they are by observation and imitation. The family is the single most important socialization factor in the life of a child. There are four primary agents of socialization: family, schools, peer groups and mass media (Kendal, 2013, p.117).... [tags: Agent of Socialization, Marriage Factors]
1083 words (3.1 pages)
- What makes you, you. Could it be the genes you were born with, or the environment you were raised in. This long-winded debate over heredity versus environment continues to prevail, while researchers discover both heredity and environment equally contribute to socialization. The process of socialization is better understood when examining how heredity and environment function alone. Socialization begins in the womb and ends in the grave. Individuals learn attitudes, values, and behaviors appropriate for a particular culture through human interaction.... [tags: Sociology]
1425 words (4.1 pages)
- Socialization Socialization is the process by which culture is learned; also called enculturation. During socialization individuals internalize a culture's social controls, along with values and norms about right and wrong. Socialization is a complex process that involves many individuals, groups, and social institutions. AGENTS OF SOCIALIZATION There are four main agents of socialization family, school, peer groups (friends and collogues), and mass media. The family is the single most important agent of socialization because the family is the first and most continuous social world for infants and children.... [tags: Sociology Society Behavior Essays Papers]
838 words (2.4 pages)
- Our Socialization Process is Assumed through the Media In America, women are known as the breadwinners of the family. They go off to work in the morning while their husbands spend the day cleaning and cooking, some may even have a part-time job. Employed or not, the husband always makes sure their woman is fed after a hard days work. Do these statements sound ridiculous to you as an American. Are they even feasible. Not in this country, here things are the complete opposite. How do we know that.... [tags: Papers]
618 words (1.8 pages)
- Some people behavior is normal while most of their manners are learnt. When a child comes in the world they are slowly mold into a social being and learn social ways of acting and feeling in society. There existence in society becomes unfeasible without this route. This process of molding and shaping the individuality of an infant is known as socialization. In general socialization is a social training by which every society lay down its own ways and means of giving social training to new born infant to adulthood members so that they may develop their own identity.... [tags: Sociology ]
841 words (2.4 pages)
- Introduction A family is a group of people consisting of the parents and their children who live together and they are blood related. The family is always perceived as the basic social units whether they are living together in the same compound or at far distance but are closely related especially by blood. Therefore, the family unit has had a great influence on the growth and the character traits possessed by the children as they grow up and how they perceive the society they live in (Bourne, 2006).... [tags: changes, race, gender ]
1038 words (3 pages)
- Essay Summary 1) Adult socialization is a time of learning new roles and statuses. 2) Peer Groups are strong socializing agents for adolescents who are still trying to find their own identity. 3) Radio, television, cinema, newspapers, magazines, music, and the Internet are powerful agents of socialization. 4) The state almost shapes our life cycle. 5) School plays a major role in socializing adolescents. It is a place of education where the individual learns to socialize with both authority (teachers) and peers.... [tags: Adult Behavior]
1420 words (4.1 pages)