Suicidal people are almost always full of conflicting emotions. Not all suicidal people really want to kill themselves (Schleifer 21). To some, suicide seems like the only option to deal with the pain that is attached with the emotional stress that accompanies suicide. Depression increases the magnitude of these feelings in the individuals. 75% of all people who commit suicide are depressed, according to a study done by the University of Texas (Teenage Suicide Causes). However, depression is just one among many painfully negative emotions that contribute to suicidal tendencies. Some of the other negative emotions include anxiety, anger, guilt, loneliness, sadness, and shame (Lezine 60). Any powerful emotional reaction can...
... middle of paper ...
Francis, Dorothy Brenner. Suicide: a Preventable Tragedy. New York: Lodestar, 1989. Print.
Lezine, DeQuincy A., and David A. Brent. Eight Stories Up: an Adolescent Chooses Hope over Suicide. Oxford: Oxford UP, 2008. Print.
Nelson, Richard E., Judith C. Galas, Bev Cobain, and Pamela Espeland. The Power to Prevent Suicide: a Guide for Teens Helping Teens. Minneapolis, MN: Free Spirit Pub., 2006. Print.
Schleifer, Jay. Everything You Need To Know About Teen Suicide. New York City: Rosen Group, 1988. Print.
"Teen Drug Abuse - Teen Suicide." Teen Suicide - Adolescent Suicide Statistics and Prevention.
n.d. n.p.Web. 04 Mar. 2011.
"Teenage Suicide Causes and Issues." Teen Suicide Statistics and Facts. n.d. n.p. Web. 01 Mar.
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- As a teenager, there's nothing better than when the weekend rolls around. A full week of responsibilities can seem like torture at the young age of 16. However, unlike a typical Friday night of partying, I chose to trade the excitement for an uneventful night of movies and junk food. Little did I know this weekend was to be anything but uneventful, and would soon turn my world upside down. Lying in my bed I began to doze off until I heard the familiar sound of an incoming text message. "Wanna hang out tonight?...I'll pick you up there's a party," Andrew tried to persuade me to brave the bitter January cold.... [tags: Teen Suicide]
529 words (1.5 pages)
- Each year, thousands of children are dying, not from cancer, getting shot, or car accidents, but by their own hands. They make the choice to take their lives; they commit suicide. To begin, what is “Suicide”. According to the Merriam Webster Dictionary, suicide is the act or instance of taking one’s own life voluntarily and intentionally. The number of teenagers who take their lives is rapidly increasing each year. Teen suicide is escalating out of control and no one seems to realize just how severe the issue has become.... [tags: Teenage Suicide Essays]
1059 words (3 pages)
- Teen Suicide Suicide is a growing problem in American culture. Sadly, teens are affected the most. Teen suicide is increasing rapidly. “About 5,000 teens in the United States kill themselves each year” (Peacock, 4). Suicide among teens is a serious and devastating crisis. More teens are taking their lives today than ever before. Teen suicide does not affect one specific type of teen; it affects any type of teen. There are a variety of reasons teens resort to committing suicide. Many people are working for the prevention of teen suicide.... [tags: Teenage Suicide Essays]
896 words (2.6 pages)
- Teen suicide is the most preventable that cause teen to end their live in United States. Suicide means to kill oneself, it comes from a Latin root word sui, "self", and caedere, "to kill". It means many things to different people: tragic, shocking, horrifying, enraging, mysterious, a relief, shameful and many other meanings. When one suicide is attempted again by another suicide is called suicide cluster. Suicide can happen to anyone near you and not realizing it. Although depression is the most common cause of teen suicide, we support and help teens with suicidal thoughts and feelings, so for teen who wants to recover from suicide, teens have access to mental health service t... [tags: Teenage Suicide Essays]
2040 words (5.8 pages)
- In today’s society, teenagers are faced with problems on a daily basis. When they are unable to deal with those daily hassles, serious problems can develop within the teen that can ultimately lead to resulting effects including depression or even suicide. Suicide in teens is one of the most traumatic and problematic issues that we face today in not only adults but many adolescents as well. Today suicide is one of the top causes for death in teenagers, out shadowed only by homicides and accidents.... [tags: Teenage Suicide Essays]
927 words (2.6 pages)
- Suicides are one of the leading causes of teen deaths in today’s society. The thought of one ending his or her life is developing in the minds of teenagers around the globe. “To kill oneself as a means of escape from poverty or disappointed love, or bodily or mental anguish, is the deed of coward rather than a brave man, because to run away from trouble is a form of cowardice. While it is true that the suicide braves death, he does it not for some noble object but to escape some ill” (Marcovitz 17).... [tags: Teenage Suicide Essays]
1447 words (4.1 pages)
- Suicide is a major problem worldwide, especially for teenagers. Self image plays a big roll in American society today, especially in enabling someone to make a wrong and destructive decision like suicide. Self image and low esteem effect the chances of a teenagers suicide greatly. There are many events that lead up to a young persons suicide, for instance a little problem that seems inescapable which manifests themselves into overwhelming burdens. Detection and prevention are both key for adults and young people to stop suicide from happening.... [tags: Teenage Suicide Essays]
1113 words (3.2 pages)
- Life is the most wonderful thing God could ever give us. Throughout our lives we learn and experience new things as the years past. From learning to walk then talk all the way to learning how to take care of not only yourself but others. From experiencing loneliness, happiness and unconditional love. If life should be cherished why end it so soon. Suicide the most common way to get out of any hard situation that life throws at you. What exactly is the meaning of the word suicide. Well suicide is the act or an instance of taking one's own life voluntarily and intentionally especially by a person of years of discretion and of sound mind.... [tags: Teenage Suicide Essays]
1174 words (3.4 pages)
- Teen Suicide is a major killer of teenagers today. It is the third leading cause of death in all teens’ ages 15-19 and the second leading cause of death in ages 19-24. Verbalizing about this more gives ways to help prevent teen suicide, such as identifying disorders they may have and providing them with the proper treatment be fore it gets out of hand. The hard part is identifying the disorders. The only people that can really identify them is family and close friends, and in many cases people many not know the seriousness of it or fear that it might just be true.... [tags: Teenage Suicide Essays]
1420 words (4.1 pages)
- To be or not to be?It's a question that's thundered throughout history and one that pulses inside each of us,at one time or another in our lives.Still,never has its pulse been more profound or its pull more compelling than for young people in America today.Just consider some numbers."Teens suicide attempts and completions have risen steadily since the 1960's. Surveys have found that 25% of the highschool students and 10% of college students -a rate four times that of 1950-have seriously considered suicide.... [tags: Teenage Suicide Essays]
1914 words (5.5 pages)