In today’s society technology plays a large role in how people interact with each other. Different spectrums within technology have positive and negative roles on society. Technology affects many different topics including communication, health, advances in medicine, education, and security. Although, all of these topics have positive impacts on technology the negative impacts outweigh the positives on our society.
Technology and especially phone usage can take a toll on a human’s body. Wifi may lower men’s sperm count. For example, men who work with laptops on their laps are hurting their reproductive chances. “One 2011 study found that men who were exposed to electromagnetic radiation from laptop WiFi for fours had sperm with DNA damage and decreased motility.” (Holmes,1) In addition, staring at your phone all day can damage your spine. A study found that when you tilt your head 60 degrees to stare at your phone, you’re putting 60 pounds of pressure on your neck. Another source of technology that can cause harm to an American’s health are X-rays and CT scans because of the ionizing radiation they emit. Decades of research demonstrate that even low doses of ionizing radiation can increase the risk of cancer. “The thyroid gland and bone marrow are particularly sensitive to ionizing radiation, especially in children.” (Taylor,1) Leukemia is a cancer that is caused by ionizing radiation and if young children are exposed to this technology at a young age they can be increasing their chances of getting Leukemia. Technology can cause serious and harmful health diseases, and the more the user uses the device the higher chance they acquire these issues.
Technology causes many distractions that would no...
... middle of paper ...
... “Over half of adolescents and teens have been bullied online, and about the same number have engaged in cyberbullying. More than 1 in 3 young people have experienced cyberthreats online. Over 25 percent of adolescents and teens have been bullied repeatedly through their cell phones or the Internet.”(Webster,1) Furthermore,, catfishing is becoming an increasing problem as a part of cyber bullying. The definition of catfish is to lure someone into a relationship by means of a fictional online persona. People can get connected to this person over social media and in some cases talk for years. Eventually, upon meeting one another the catfish could be posing as a completely different gender than the person they are portraying online. Catfishing can be a devastating and life changing form of bullying to all of those individuals involved in this type of cyber bullying.
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- Technology Ruining our Society In today’s society technology plays a large role in how people interact with each other. Different spectrums within technology have positive and negative roles on society. Technology affects many different topics including communication, health, advances in medicine, education, and security. Although, all of these topics have positive impacts on technology the negative impacts outweigh the positives on our society. Technology and especially phone usage can take a toll on a human’s body.... [tags: Mobile phone, Text messaging, Distraction, Human]
1876 words (5.4 pages)
- When thinking of killing, drugs and nudity, I’m pretty sure not many people think of positive ideas. Electronics, such as television and computers, show these kinds of things regularly. Despite this explicit material, some people see the constantly improving technology as a wonderful addition to our lives. Yet as time passes, more and more people start to have doubts about what these developments in technology are leading to. Kids and teens should be playing and using their imaginations; instead they devote countless hours on various electronics ranging from tablets and computers to phones and TV’s.... [tags: explicit material on media and social sites]
785 words (2.2 pages)
- Technology has changed the way society has interacted with one another. While technology has allowed society countless means of social interactions that weren’t possible 50 years ago, and has allowed people to sustain long-distance friendships that would have otherwise ended, the fact remains that technology is still taking over human interaction. Many may argue that this change has been positive. However, there are those who believe that this is one of the numerous social disasters when it comes to technology.... [tags: Technology, Science, Human, Prehistory]
1245 words (3.6 pages)
- Cell phones are ruining our social skills, compromising our attention spans and increasing distractions. However, like with most things, there are positive and negative factors that must be accounted for; this technology has much to offer like unparalleled conveniences that were unfathomable a short decade ago. Smart phones keep us connected to people in a way like never before across time zones, distances and decades, they are an easy way of communication, humans have access to a wide range of knowledge on the internet access and through social media, they have revolutionized the way business is conducted and humans can be connected to news around the rest of world like never before.... [tags: Mobile phone, IPhone, Smartphone, Internet]
2029 words (5.8 pages)
- In this modern era, technology is dramatically developing and evolving at an astounding rate. The advancement in technology affects almost every aspect of today’s society. The English language is a prime example of this. Linguists from different universities have begun noticing changes in the modern English language; most of the alterations tend to be significant. The English language has been negatively affected by the rise of the Internet, smartphones and social media. To begin with, the Internet has had a significant impact on the teenagers’ lifestyle.... [tags: communication, texting]
911 words (2.6 pages)
- The Negative Effects of Technology Technology has affected the American society in a negative way, because it has lowered our quality of life, by being used as a distraction and creating problems with communication. Technology not only creates problems for young kids and teens, but also for adults. There are many ways that technology can be used as a distraction but one of the most common is using your phone while driving. When you use your phone while driving you are not only putting your life in risk but you are putting the lives of the people around you in risk also.... [tags: Mobile phone, Time, Childhood, Obesity]
1584 words (4.5 pages)
- Have you ever wondered what the world would be like without technology. Would we be lost without. Are you scared for the next generations. Technology has been a dependent source for us humans for so long.The more technology advances the more our society becomes dependent on it. I believe technology is one of the best things people have created but, technology is interfering with our social skills. Technology is making many of us lack on our writing skills.... [tags: Con Technology Essays]
670 words (1.9 pages)
- Technology Today Can anyone say dinosaurs, because backwards is the direction we need to be heading. What can not be said about today’s technology and the college student 's education. Internet, social media and cell phones, it allows access to an ongoing flow of positive and negative generated information through cyberspace. Does it create a flow of creative information for our brains to soak up like a sponge or does it fill our heads with possible miss leading information. Upon that student 's addiction to social media, is it wreaking havoc on lives.... [tags: Mobile phone, History of the Internet, Education]
1097 words (3.1 pages)
- Can anyone say dinosaurs, because backwards is the direction we need to be heading. What can not be said about today’s technology and the college students education. Internet, social media and cell phones, it allows access to an ongoing flow of positive and negative generated information through cyberspace. Does it create a flow of creative information for our brains to soak up like a sponge or does it fill our heads with possible miss leading information. Upon that student 's addiction to social media, is it wreaking havoc in lives.... [tags: Mobile phone, Education, University, Student]
1124 words (3.2 pages)
- Our society is very different now than it was decades ago. A society is the aggregate of people living together in an ordered community. Most humans, which are man or earthly beings, in our society are unfortunately no longer human beings. Being human essentially means having the ability to think rationally and to make connections both physically and spiritually along with have a relationship with other beings. We have built our lives around so many complex concepts that they have taken away our humanity.... [tags: Morality, Human, Thought, Religion]
1804 words (5.2 pages)