One of the key areas where the argument can be argued for video games is in the narrative literature that these games have. Renown criticist Robert Edgar argues, "No one in or out of the field has ever been able to cite a game worthy of comparison with the great poets, filmmakers, novelists and poets." (Ebert) Now while this may be true to an extent, it is somewhat of an unfair assumption considering how long video games has been around for. It has only been around for forty years compared to other art forms that have existed in humanity since the dawn of time, there has been more than enough time for people to create plenty of art. When putting this advantage for classic art to the side, video games have actually managed to make a good standing for themselves in terms of presenting deep, engaging, thematic, and dramatic stories for the brief period of time they have been around. Immense labors of love and effort like the video game “The Last of Us” ...
... middle of paper ...
...ovie you watch or play you experience would not be as engaging an experience, and the same goes for video games. People love their music and if they can enjoy it so highly in video games, then video games constitute their music to the same levels of as music used in the famous dramatic plays of Shakespeare or the story conveyed through the music of Beethoven.
As seen, the key sharing of the various separate elements of art all come together when playing video games. Despite the fact that video games are just an incoming, new media, it is already managing to put up quite the front against all the other genres of art available right now. With time, video games may even gain their own voice as a new form of art, one capable of combining all the previous forms that came before it. Perhaps years later as the generations pass, people will realize the true power of art.
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- Throughout the course of a semester, college students especially male college students find different kinds of hobbies and activities they like to do before or after college class sessions are over. From reading to doing sports, there is a wide range of activities made for the regular young adult. One activity that might take part in the lives of a vast part [if not the majority] of the college male population is gaming or playing video games. Video games entertain thousands and millions of people around the world and somehow connect people of all ages transporting them all, at least momentarily to a new world, a new environment in which they have something in common.... [tags: Video game, Game, Video game console, University]
1308 words (3.7 pages)
- The video game industry has grown very powerful over the last five decades due to gamming consoles. A new generation of gamming was created, taking games from arcades and putting them in one’s household. Although arcade games were a great hit, there were modifications that needed to be done to them to make them smaller and more compact. In 1967, German born Ralph Baer and some of his coworkers were the first to get an actual prototype to work on a regular home television. After the console, Magnavox Odyssey (1972), was released and made a big impact on the market, more and different companies and corporations released more systems with such specifications.... [tags: Gaming]
1060 words (3 pages)
- The Battle of the Gaming Community Video games have been around for decades and the controversy about video game violence has been a hot topic debate since the 1970’s. Over the years many parents have shown a lot of concern towards their children playing these violent games and whether or not this is connected to crime rates going up and aggressive behavior. There has been a countless amount of research studies done on the correlation between gamers and violent crimes but most had insufficient evidence to directly make these connections.... [tags: Violence, Crime, Video game controversy]
755 words (2.2 pages)
- The History of Video Games - An Introduction Video games have a vast history that dates back to the 1940 's; they have evolved with computers, often working alongside traditional computational technology for a variety of uses that go beyond entertainment. Most people, when confronted with the prospect of video game history, think back to the arcade games of the '70s and '80s, as well as the clunky home consoles that sat next to their VCR 's. What many don 't realize is that the first video game was created in 1940 by a man named Edward Condon to be shown at the World 's Fair, (museumofplay.org).... [tags: Video game console, Video game, Nintendo]
1705 words (4.9 pages)
- Since I was young, playing games has been a major part of my life. I started out like most kids did, playing on a Nintendo console. From there I graduated to a Playstation, an Xbox 360, then eventually made it to my favorite platform for gaming: the PC. I became intrigued by games that are called MMORPGs (Massively multiplayer online role-playing games). The lore behind these games, the characters, the graphics, gameplay, and the overall concept of most MMORPGs got me interested in the creation of these games.... [tags: Video game, Video game industry, Game designer]
1120 words (3.2 pages)
- One of the new exiting up incoming trend, is the advancing in technology in video gaming consoles in three of the major companies, which include Microsoft, Sony and Nintendo. All of these companies figure it out that in video games you do not need to sit in the couch and use a controller, it is ok to stand up and interact with the game. We are going to discuss how the client purchase the trend, how the client reacted to the technology advances and final but not least, how in the future it will evolve and may create another trends.... [tags: technology, consoles, virtual]
959 words (2.7 pages)
- The remark of social impacts that video game has on an individual is considerably constructive for the development of the modern civilization. There is a critical acclaimed Japanese novel called Sword Art Online, in which revolves around the story of a teenage boy who got trapped in the “game” through a virtual reality helmet that stimulates the user 's five senses via their brain, along with more than a thousand other players. Since the developer behind the whole scheme prevents people from logging out with an electric-shock penalty the moment they try to take off the gear, the protagonist does not have any other choice but to continue the adventure in order to complete the game.... [tags: Video game, Video game industry, Game designer]
1037 words (3 pages)
- The evolution of the video game industry can be traced through the metamorphosis of the early, complex, fantasy-world based games that were focused on the avid adolescent gamers using conventional joysticks and consoles, to easy, realistic games that appealed to a broader spectrum of age groups using innovative wand-like joysticks and consoles. When at its nascent stage, the video game industry focused on enticing adolescents by installing gaming systems at recreation centers and malls. With advanced technological enhancements, it became conceivably easier to reach out to other consumers through advanced gaming consoles that were now focused on disseminating to families at their homes.... [tags: technology, video game industry]
1946 words (5.6 pages)
- Video games are advanced, hands on form of entertainment that have been played for the past fifty-five years. The number of users of video games has dramatically increased over the past five decades, which has immensely impacted American society through numerous positive and negative aspects. Video games have emerged as one of the most popular forms of entertainment and have severely improved in quality on account of technological advancements. The very first video game ever created was by a man named Thomas T.... [tags: Anti Video Games]
2491 words (7.1 pages)
- This review is an experimental study on the way playing video games, against watching violent video games, effects children’s aggressive behavior. This study was conducted by Utrecht University students, in Utrecht, The Netherlands. The research conducted, and article written was by Hanneke Polman, Bram Orobio de Castro, and Marcel A.G van Aken, and copy-written in year 2008. The hypothesis behind this article is how does playing a violent video, rather than just watching one, affect a child’s aggressive behavior in real life.... [tags: Gaming ]
1749 words (5 pages)