There are hundreds of online social networking sites, and they range from general networking sites like FaceBook to sites aimed at certain groups such as CrunchyRoll, which is a networking site for fans of anime and manga. Of the hundreds of social networking sites MySpace and FaceBook are the most popular (Guo 620). MySpace has a current active user count of 115 million. And FaceBook which is a year younger follows with a user base of 60 million and growing (Guo 621). MySpace opened on August 15, 2003 and grew quite quickly afterwards (Guo 621). But why are these sites so popular amongst teenagers? There seem to be quite a few answers to this question, MySpace’s popularity is attributed its openness, anyone claiming to be over the age of 14 can sign up for MySpace (Guo 621). FaceBook which was created a year later by Matt Zuckerberg in 2004 originally limited its membership to college students which resulted in slow growth of success (Guo 622). However once FaceBook opened...
... middle of paper ...
...fying internet information to be reported to the police. Their information is then added to the National Sex Offender Registry; social networking sites would then have access to this information and can prevent sex offenders from registering to use their sites MySpace has also begun to enact safety measures to protect their teenage users. In 2006 MySpace announced the creation an automated system that compares profiles a database contacting names and descriptions of sex offenders. It’s been reported that since the creation of this program MySpace has removed 29,000 sex offender profiles from their site (Guo 639). MySpace is also developing a program that will provide parents with their child’s profile name, age, and location (Guo 639). A program like this will allow parents to also get involved in protecting their children from the dangers of social networking.
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- Conversations In a Tech Savvy World Technology has changed the way society does everything. However society perceives this change can be positive or negative. One major way social media has changed society is our newly developed communication style. Now instead of sending letters, IPhones and texting are growing in popularity. Instead of talking face to face there is Facetime or instant messaging. Smartphones are changing every aspect of life such as shopping, interacting, and sending photos. “The internet has taken away the wonderment that is a personal life.” (Limottait) Whether this is a bad thing or not, the change is evident.... [tags: Mobile phone, Instant messaging, Text messaging]
1316 words (3.8 pages)
- Social Media is a form of electronic communication, through which users create online communities and groups to share information, ideas, and personal messages. Such forms include: Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram; these sites are open to everyone age thirteen and older. Facebook launched in 2004, and to date has 1.28 billion active users per month (newsroom).Twitter introduced the concept of “microblogging” to the world in 2006, and today has 255 million active users(Craig Smith). Instagram, the favorite social media site for picture sharing, is right behind Twitter, with 200 million active users, which launched in 2010 (Instagram).... [tags: electronic communication, cyberbullying]
1313 words (3.8 pages)
- We are living in a tech savvy era. In this day and age, it seems like everyone from the youngest to the oldest must have a cell phone. It is somehow unthinkable not to have a cellphone. Have you seen children as young as 5 years to adults over the age of 80 years with a cell phone. I don’t have a cell phone and I am very happy with the choice I made. I don’t want a cell phone. Cell phones and their accessories are expensive. A smartphone can cost as much as $750.00 and its case more than $90.00.... [tags: Mobile phone, Text messaging, Instant messaging]
715 words (2 pages)
- Mexican immigrants have been greatly affected by past immigration laws. They have often been ridiculed, unfairly singled out and discriminated against. Social media has given them a voice. Many parents brought young children to the United States illegally. These children speak English; play football with their hands and not their feet. For all intents and purposes they are American, American Dreamers. Today these children are young adults who are facing lot immigration problems. The Dream act is a law designed for these tech savvy millennial.... [tags: Social media, Sociology, The Age]
719 words (2.1 pages)
- Cell phones: A device that students and teachers have become tech savvy with today. Would it be a good idea to have in a classroom setting. To further accommodate, cell phone usage in classrooms has become a major aspect for many reasons: online learning activities, easy and quick for research methods, and self-control for both students and teachers. These aspects have changed the way classrooms have evolved from not wanting devices around instead having daily use of them for educational purposes.... [tags: Mobile phone, Cellular network, Education]
768 words (2.2 pages)
- Cell phones; that machine that students and teachers have become tech savvy with nowadays. Would it be a good idea to have in a classroom setting. Cell phone usage in classrooms has become a major aspect for many reasons: online learning activities, easy and quick for research methods, and self-control for both students and teachers. These aspects have changed the way classrooms have evolved from not wanting devices around to having daily use for them for educational purposes. Online learning activities are one outcome of having access to a cell phone in a classroom.... [tags: Mobile phone, Education, Cellular network]
746 words (2.1 pages)
- My last 5 articles have made it clear that the most viable option of earning money online and the answer to the question – How to earn money from home is affiliate marketing. Till now I have been stressing on the affiliate marketing basics, but this article discusses advanced techniques to transform an affiliate in to a super affiliate. The most important resource for making this transition is your analytical ability. You will be required to revise your setup, find the loop holes and fix them by taking appropriate measures.... [tags: tech-savvy, marketer, social, network]
794 words (2.3 pages)
- When plumbing goes bad, hair needs cutting, or the car goes on the fritz, who is going to get the call. Most people will answer “the plumber, the stylist, or the auto repair place down the road at Wal-Mart.” That answer is mostly correct. Although, the focus needs to be on how those people got where they are today. These people, who do so much work for us every single day, need to get some consideration. In most cases they would have gone to a vocational high school or technical college. These are special schools in which students learn the exact skills they need to complete their desired career in an accelerated period of time.... [tags: Education, Vo-Tech High Schools]
2000 words (5.7 pages)
- Curfews and Teens Do curfews really keep teens out of trouble. Most teens do not tell their parents where they are going when they leave and most parents do not ask either. Then most teens have free range once they start driving. Also, teens like to party like there is no tomorrow which most of them lead to hardcore drug and alcohol abuse in their near and distant future. So curfews really do not keep teens out of trouble no matter what parents may think. First when teens go out most of the time parents do not know where they are going or who they are hanging out with and some do not even care.... [tags: curfew, drive, teens, parents]
552 words (1.6 pages)
- Tech Effect "The Internet is one of a series of aids developed over the last millennium or so that has increased the operational capacities of the average world citizen", (Stefanie Olsen, Sec. 2). With all the new technology so closely on hand, people are starting to wonder about the effects on society and the peoples true ability. The amount of technology in this new world has increased rapidly and is influencing our society by the way they think, the way they work, and by the way they interact socially.... [tags: Technology, The Internet]
1396 words (4 pages)