The sagittal plane, also commonly referred to as anteroposterior plane, is a plane that passes through the body from front to back and divides the body into left and right portions. The anatomical movements in the sagittal plane are flexion, extension, plantar flexion and dorsiflexion.
The following are the three exercises for sagittal plane.
1. Barbell Biceps Curl: This exercise is great for developing both the heads of the biceps muscle. The biceps curl exercise (performed with dumbbell or barbell or any equipment) involves flexion and extension of elbow joint during the concentric contraction and eccentric contraction respectively. The flexion and extension of elbow occur in a plane that is parallel to the sagittal plane. These flexion and extension moves cannot be seen from the other two planes.
2. Seated Leg Curl: Seated leg curl is an exercise for developing hamstring muscle. In this exercise, knee flexion takes place. In seated leg curl, the lower leg move in a circular path along the plane parallel to the sagittal plane during both concentric and eccentric phase of the movement. This circular travel of the lower leg cannot be seen from the top or front. Hence this movement occurs in sagittal plane
3. Standing Calf Raise: This exercise involves plantar flexion of the ankle. During the concentric phase of standing calf raise i.e. when you rise up on the balls of your feet, your heels travel in an arc which can be seen only from the side. Hence, this exercise is an example for sagittal plane.
The frontal plane, also called coronary plane, is a plane that passes through the body from left to right and divides the body into front and back portions. The anatomical movements in this plane are abduct...
... middle of paper ...
...the shoulder i.e. subscapularis, teres major, pectoralis major and latissimus dorsi. When this movement is viewed from the top the forearms can be seen rotating about the long axis of the humerus bone which cannot be seen when viewed from the sagittal plane and frontal plane. Thus, the movement in this exercise occurs in transverse plane.
3. Pec-Deck Pectoral Fly: This exercise works pectoralis major muscle. This exercise involves pulling the handles across the chest towards each other i.e. horizontal adduction of glenohumeral joint. Hence, this exercise is an example for movement in transverse plane.
Griffing, James. ExRx.net (Exercise Prescription). 1 December 2013. 6 December 2013
Hatfield, Frederick C. Fitness: The Complete Guide. 8.6.6. Carpinteria: International Sports Science Association, 2013.
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- The bones of the knees are the patella and the tibia (Hall, 2011). The muscle groups for the knees are the hamstring gracilis, and the gastrocemius (Hall, 2011). For dorsiflexion, there are no bones it is the muscles that move bones. The muscles are the tibialis anterior, peroneus tertius, extensor digitorum longus, and the extensor hallucis longus (Hall, 2011). These are the muscles that move the bones so the top foot will move towards the calf of the leg (Hall, 2011). The next flexion is plantar flexion and this one also deals mainly with muscles than bone.... [tags: Knee, Flexion, Extension, Sagittal plane]
1924 words (5.5 pages)
- It was a quiet night in the Carribean while a plane was traveling across the Atlantic Ocean transporting a group of young students from a dangerous situation involving war. Then, all of a sudden, Boom. One of the plane’s wing was on fire. Everyone on the plane was screaming for their lives. The plane’s wing was deteriorating constantly while the pilot was reminding everyone to stay calm and prepare for emergency landing. At the time people where saying their last prayers. The ground was approaching them at an incredible speed.... [tags: suspense, ]
1049 words (3 pages)
- Introduction Suppose a ball is released from a distance and rolls down an inclined plane, as shown in figure 1. At the bottom of the inclined plane, the ball strikes a level tabletop and bounces away. The inclined plane may be rotated to give a steeper angle, which will affect the time of travel across the tabletop. The ball’s horizontal component of velocity is (Walding, Rapkins and Rossiter, 2004, pg. 62): v_x = v cos θ Figure 1: Experiment set up. Red indicates acting forces, green indicates velocity.... [tags: Velocity, Classical mechanics, Collision]
1889 words (5.4 pages)
- Plagiarism and Ethics What is Plagiarism. Plagiarism is taking someone else’s work or ideas and making them pass as your own. For example, when copying and pasting others articles, quotes, work that you have found on the internet for homework, projects, any of that sort that is plagiarizing since you did not put in any of your own words or work in writing. That also doesn’t mean you can just copy and paste and make edits to it to make it look different or as your own because you’re technically still plagiarizing.... [tags: passing someone else's work as your own]
782 words (2.2 pages)
- YouthBuild Providence is positioning itself to become a local leader in urban education reform. With the incorporation of best bet practices both in the classroom in the not so tangible elements of its programming, YouthBuild will be able to inform education partners on dropout prevention and recovery strategies. The program wants to build capacity in the programmatic areas such as support and transitional service to match the increase in enrollment and those active graduates in the PSE pipeline.... [tags: urban education reform]
537 words (1.5 pages)
- Sexual dysfunctions are problems some people experience which hinders ones ability to have normal sexual intercourse. There are four main categories of sexual dysfunctions: Sexual desire disorders, Arousal disorders, Orgasm disorders and Pain disorders. Sexual desire disorder is basically a low libido/no desire for sex even with a long term parter that you’ve previously had sexual relations with. Arousal disorder is commonly known as erectile dysfunction in which there isn't enough blood flow to the penis to maintain an erection.... [tags: sexual dysfunctions]
679 words (1.9 pages)
- Infirmed aging is having a condition of weakness or illness that usually lasts for a long time and is caused especially by old age. Progeria is the severe disease of the infirmed aging branch and is defined as a progressive genetic disorder that causes children to age rapidly, beginning in their first two years of life. Progeria only affects one in eight million people in the world. The term Progeria is gathered from the Greek word geras, meaning old age. Children with progeria usually don’t show any signs when they are birthed but in a year or so their growth rate starts to slow down.... [tags: infirmed aging condition in children]
1163 words (3.3 pages)
- As a Brazilian plane took several bird’s eye view photographs of an ‘unknown’ tribe in the Amazon, the world had a glimpse into a world we, the western world, only know from history books and movies. After publication of the photos two debates stood out above all others; should these people be contacted and what will it mean for these people. Although, Globalization seems to make the world smaller and smaller where unchartered regions such as the Amazon Rainforest to foster several tribes that have never been in contact with ‘modern world’ (Friedman, 2005).... [tags: Western culture, Globalization, Western world]
940 words (2.7 pages)
- In the fictional story of "Hills Like White Elephants" by Ernest Hemingway; A man and a woman are sitting at a train station ordering drinks and observing everything around themselves. But they have a problem that they must resolve, the problem is that the woman is pregnant and the man wants her to have an abortion. She does not want the abortion but is willing to do so if they are going to be happy afterwards. The couple sit at the train station waiting for their train and discuss the abortion which they disguise the word as a "simple operation." "It's really an awfully simple operation, Jig."(325) I think they do so because back when the story was published in 1927 abortion was not a c... [tags: American Literature]
435 words (1.2 pages)
- I woke up with a loud scream which took over the silence that filled my room. My mom came running to my room just to check on me. It was a very unusual dream and I couldn’t remember anything of it. At that moment it seemed as if it was reality and I hated that awkward feeling that I kept getting. The shirt that I was wearing was stuck to my body and my face had turned all red. I got up to wash up telling my mom that I would be ok. As I opened the door to my room I could smell something burning, and it seemed like my mom had forgotten the brownies in the oven.... [tags: essays research papers]
611 words (1.7 pages)