Genital herpes is a highly contagious sexually transmitted disease most commonly caused by herpes simplex virus type 2 (HSV-2), although the rate of herpes simplex virus type 1 (HSV-1) genital infection has been rising due to the increase in oral-genital transmission. After an initial HSV-2 infection, over 90% of patients experience a reactivation of latent virus residing in the cell bodies of neurons at some point in their lives, and about one-third have frequent outbreaks (>6 per year).1 Although non-lethal and often asymptomatic, recurrent outbreaks as well as the infections potential to the patient’s sexual partners results in significant psychological stress to the patient. Social stigma and shame also add to the negative impact on the patient’s quality of life. 3 While the disease remains incurable, treatment is possible. This paper evaluates three randomized trials (RCTs) comparing the efficacy and safety of famciclovir vs. valacyclovir in the episodic treatment of genital herpes.
In the U.S., approximately 17% of adults are seropositive for HSV-2, making it one of the most common sexually transmitted diseases. Worldwide, the condition has become epidemic and the prevalence is 30%.1 The cost of incident infections was $1.8 billion in 2000, and projected to increase to $2.7 billion by 2025 as the incidence and prevalence continues to rise. Projected cost over the next 25 years is estimated at $61 billion. 5 Approximately 499,655 healthcare visits related to HSV occurred in 2000, with 2,056,1180 pharmacy claims. While these values clearly represent the severity of genital herpes as a public health problem, only 9%-50% of infected individuals are aware of their infection, which results in less healthcare visits th...
... middle of paper ...
... been limited to the elderly and immunocompromised with ACV and penciclovir. This represents an incredibly rare but serious adverse effect. 8
Based on this review, famciclovir is not superior to valacyclovir as a treatment for genital herpes in reducing outbreak frequency and duration. However, it appears to at least be equally effective, and the shorter single-day dosing schedule of FCV for herpes recurrence may provide a more convenient treatment option for some patients. Further comparative studies are warranted to investigate whether improvements in virologic disease manifestations from previous in vivo murine studies translate into clinically meaningful results. 7 In addition, variations in dosing regimens should be considered. These explorations could potentially have huge implications in regards to herpes patients’ improvements in quality of life.
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- What do I need to know about Genital herpes in women. • Genital herpes is a sexually transmitted disease (STD). • It is caused by the herpes simplex virus (HSV). • HSV enters the skin or mucous membranes through microscopic breaks either in the mucous membranes or the skin. • Herpes is spread when there is any form of sexual contact with the genital region. • At times, signs for genital herpes are not existent. When they exist, they may include blisters coupled with ulcers in the genital area, itching, tingling feelings in the skin.... [tags: Herpes simplex virus, Herpes simplex, Virus]
849 words (2.4 pages)
- The case study presents me with a couple in crisis because the woman, 28-year-old Carol, has diagnosed with genital herpes by her OBGYN. Carol believes that she may have contracted the STD from her 31-year-old boyfriend, Francisco, because she claims that she has been sexually monogamous. Now, Carol is having thoughts of her boyfriend being a “dog,” “player,” and a “liar” because he seems to be flirting with other women when they are in social settings; although she loves him, she is unsure of remaining in the relationship.... [tags: Emotion, Feeling, Virus, Herpes simplex]
1585 words (4.5 pages)
- Gambling With Genital Herpes Did you know that there is no proof that condoms really reduce the risk of getting genital herpes. Many young adolescents don’t even understand what genital herpes really is or how you can get genital herpes. Young adolescents should know what the symptoms are if you get infected with a sexually transmitted disease such as genital herpes. Did you know that there is no cure for genital herpes and it is a life long disease. Treatments yet alone are way too expensive for young adolescents to afford.... [tags: Sexually Transmitted Disease STD]
1526 words (4.4 pages)
- This was extremely interesting to me because it sexually transmitted dieses have affect my life. My best friend was diagnosed with having genital herpes. Not truly understanding what it was, I helped her through it and learned slowly more about it. The section on genital herpes was even more educational for me so I can continue to help her. Genital herpes are small, red blisters that appear in the genital region. They are extremely painful and can sometimes even break open. There is no cure for genital herpes but there are many medications out there to help suppress the outbreaks.... [tags: essays research papers]
606 words (1.7 pages)
- I have infected 45 million Americans and will infect 1 million more Americans each year. Who am I. Herpes, from the ancient Greek meaning to creep or crawl, is the name of a family of viruses of which herpes simplex virus 1 and herpes simplex virus 2 (HSV-1 and HSV-2) are the most serious human pathogens. HSV-1 is normally associated with orofacial infections and encephalitis, whereas HSV-2 usually causes genital infections and can be transmitted from infected mothers to neonates. Both viruses establish latent infections in sensory neurons and, upon reactivation, cause lesions at or near point of entry into the body.... [tags: essays research papers]
1045 words (3 pages)
- Genital Herpes Facts The Sexually Transmitted Disease Genital herpes (to creep) is very common in most Americans especially adolescents. Genital herpes is transmitted through sexual contact and other physical contact with an infected person. Herpes is a viral infection caused by the Herpes Simplex Virus. Once a person is infected with the virus it stays in their body for life. Once you have contracted this virus it is easy to pass it on to someone else even if the virus is not active.... [tags: Papers]
886 words (2.5 pages)
- The herpes virus is one of the most prevalent viral diseases known to man. As much as eighty percent of all people, worldwide, have herpes simplex virus type 1 (HSV1), and twenty percent have herpes simplex virus type 2 (HSV2). This may sound like scary statistics, but most infected people suffer only mild discomfort. The more common form, HSV1, usually causes the occasional blister-like sores on or around the mouth. These blisters are called cold sores or fever blisters and, as most sufferers know, they are annoying and mildly painful but rarely dangerous.... [tags: Health, Diseases]
1350 words (3.9 pages)
- Jose De La Cruz S. Garnica Bio 5 Wednesday #76 May 8, 2014 “Efficacy Results of a Trial of a Herpes Simplex Vaccine” Herpes is a widely known virus that infects the body and causing warts usually in the genital or oral regions of the body. Herpes is caused by one of the two types of virus, Herpes simplex virus type 1 (HSV-1), or herpes simplex virus type 2 (HSV-2). There is no cure for the Herpes Simplex virus. Once the host is infected, the virus remains in the body for the entire lifespan. The virus can be suppressed with help of medication to help keep the virus dormant and reduce outbreaks of genital warts or cold sores around the mouth.... [tags: results, effectivness trial]
703 words (2 pages)
- Female circumcision, also known as Female Genital Mutilation (FGM), is a very dangerous surgery. It is done to girls of any age, from a few days old to right before their wedding. The most common age is three. In most countries where FGM is practiced the clitoris is considered dangerous to the man. At one point they thought that if a penis touched a clitoris, it would shrivel up and fall off. Girls in Africa and parts of Asia are genitally mutilated for family honor, cleanliness, protection against spells, insurance of virginity and faithfulness to the husband, or to terrorize women out of sex.... [tags: FGM, Female Genital Circumcision]
644 words (1.8 pages)
- Herpes Herpes is one of the common of more than 30 different sexually transmitted diseases (STD’s) in America today. Herpes is an infection that is caused by one of two closely related viruses, herpes simplex virus type 1 (HSV-1) and herpes simplex virus type 2 (HSV-2). Both of which are very easily caught, have similar symptoms, and can occur on different parts of the body. Even though it is most common to see the virus HSV-1 appear as oral herpes and to see the virus HSV-2 appear as genital herpes.... [tags: essays research papers]
775 words (2.2 pages)