I chose Michael Jordan for my report because he is an inspiration to me and is the greatest basketball player ever. He was born on February 17, 1963, in Brooklyn, New York. His parents names are James and Deloris Jordan. James Jordan made a living as a mechanic and Deloris made a living as a bank teller(world biography). Michael has four siblings, two were boys and the other two were girls. His brothers names were James R. Jordan jr. and Larry Jordan. His sisters names were Deloris and Roslyn Jordan(Google). In this paper I will be showing you how Michael Jordan changed the way people look at and play basketball.
Jordan is an inspiration to most people because he was cut from his varsity basketball team his sophomore year but that didn't stop him. Instead of Jordan making varsity his good friend Leroy Smith made the varsity basketball team. Being cut was the hardest thing for Jordan to take. With a new found motivation he worked really hard and became a starting junior varsity star. From his spontaneous sophomore year and the summer before his junior year he grew to be 6'3". The coaches decided Jordan would now wear the varsity uniform. His actions showed everyone that if you work hard eventually you will achieve your goal.
Michael Jordan enrolled at the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill in 1981, and soon became an important member of the school's basketball team. His team won the NCAA Division I championships in 1982 with Jordan scoring the final basket needed to defeat Georgetown University. He was also singled out as the NCAA College Player of the Year in 1983 and in 1984 (bio.). When he was a freshman he scored 460 points and averaged 13.5 points per game. At the end of his sophomore year had scor...
... middle of paper ...
...ayed which was really aggressive with trapping defense and on offense it was practically impossible to stop him. People also have a lot of respect for him because he donated money to charities. Michael Jordan changed the way people look at and play basketball in many ways, such as his super athletic ability made people want to watch him, and he made basketball way more popular.
"Michael Jordan Biography." Bio.com. A&E Networks Television, n.d. Web. 21 Feb. 2014
"NBA.com: Michael Jordan Bio." NBA.com: Michael Jordan Bio. N.p., n.d. Web. 21 Feb. 2014.
Google word search michael jordan
"World Biography." Michael Jordan Biography. N.p., n.d. Web. 21 Feb. 2014.
"Michael Jordan." College Basketball at Sports-Reference.com. N.p., n.d. Web. 03 Mar. 2014.
"Michael Jordan: The College Years." Hooped Up. N.p., n.d. Web. 05 Mar. 2014.
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- Many people who watch or play basketball always argue who is the best of all time, or which basketball player is better than the other. And the most two basketball players that get compared with each other is Kobe Bryant and Michael Jordan. Both of these two players are exciting to watch when they are on the basketball court. Taking a closer look into both of their careers you can see major similarities but you can also see where both of them have their different paths. Even though they both make the basketball world a better place the real question that needs to be answered is who is better.... [tags: Michael Jordan, National Basketball Association]
1121 words (3.2 pages)
- Michael Jordan. One of the most iconic athletes in NBA history, if not one of the most iconic athletes in the world. It would be easy to assume Michael Jordan has had quite the utopian lifestyle, with his 6 National Basketball titles, success in collegiate basketball, and of course his business “Air Jordan” which generated $2.6 billon in shoe sales in the U.S. alone (Forbes). However, after taking a look at Jordan’s many successes, his championship in 1996 has to be one of the more interesting, and emotional events in the basketball star’s legacy.... [tags: Michael Jordan, National Basketball Association]
1164 words (3.3 pages)
- Topic: Jordan being the best basketball player ever Specific Purpose: To persuade the audience that Michael Jordan even now in the present is still the greatest player ever to play in the NBA. Primary Audience Outcome: I the want the audience to understand why there should be no controversy on who is the best basketball player ever. Thesis Statement: Michael Jordan set records and has set the example of what the greatest basketball player can accomplish and really set the standards of what a hall of famer basketball player looks like.... [tags: nba, champion, number 23]
554 words (1.6 pages)
- Dreams can take many people on different routes in their life, and around every corner are all sorts of surprises. The dreams people have, help define the way they live their life. Dreams all take place in a person’s mind and dreams can help show what the person’s wants, decisions, actions, and outcomes are. Dreams affect the path people take throughout life. Abigail from The Crucible is a great example of someone who dreams of having the man of her lifetime, but can’t because he is married. Since John already slept with Abigail, She feels that he has a very strong connection with her.... [tags: The Crucible, Michael Jordan, Diligence]
989 words (2.8 pages)
- Go out to an urban neighborhood and find a game of pickup basketball. Listen if you can hear any of the kids yell “Iso!” What does it mean. It literally means isolation, but on the court it means “Give me the ball and let me do it myself.” In Forty Million Dollar Slaves, author William C. Rhoden argues white journalists perpetuated the stereotype that black athletes are selfish with a “one-on-one” mentality. However, Rhoden fails to acknowledge that this “one-on-one” mindset on and off the field is a very real dynamic, with legitimate cause.... [tags: Kobe Bryant, Michael Jordan, LeBron James]
945 words (2.7 pages)
- Kamen Hudson English Comp.7 The Man They Call GOAT "There's Michael Jordan and then there is the rest of us." This quote is from NBA Encyclopedia and was said from Magic Johnson, who is considered of of the best players ever. This shows how great Michael Jordan was; nevertheless, how even that some of the greatest players of all time think he is completely out of their league. Michael Jordan is an ex-NBA basketball player who is considered the greatest players of all time; from his early life, NBA career, and to today; Jordan is pure interesting all the way.... [tags: Michael Jordan, Basketball, Magic Johnson]
830 words (2.4 pages)
- In 1981, Michael Jordan stepped foot on North Carolina’s campus as a top recruited freshman and was soon to be one of only four freshmen to ever earn a starting spot under Coach Dean Smith. The University of North Carolina was where Michael Jordan’s legacy started, and as of now, it will not end anytime soon. In his playing days, Michael was a second overall draft pick, Nike client, six-time NBA champ, six-time NBA finals MVP, five-time NBA MVP, and a fourteen-time all-star. After his playing days were over, Jordan’s impact on the game and on the fans never died.... [tags: Michael Jordan, National Basketball Association]
1024 words (2.9 pages)
- How do you measure the greatness of the two biggest NBA superstars of all time. Michael Jordan is significantly known for being the ultimate basketball player in NBA history. However, LeBron James is considered one of the top basketball players in the NBA now. There inspiring leadership and unbelievable talent on the court makes it hard for us to choose a winner. James is continuously breaking NBA history, but Jordan's mighty legacy is considered unbreakable. Why can't both exceptional players be valued and appreciated, rather than compared.... [tags: Michael Jordan, National Basketball Association]
845 words (2.4 pages)
- It was really hard to guess who the greatest NBA athlete of all time was, until Michael Jordan came along. In no other sport has an athlete dominated the game with such amount of skill like Jordan had done. Michael was not just a fast and smart, but more of a competitive basketball player with amazing team work and basketball skills. In order to better learn more about Jordan’s life we split it into three parts, early life, NBA career, and life as it is now. Michael Jordan’s early life was a great success from the time he was born to playing basketball in high school.... [tags: Michael Jordan, Basketball]
845 words (2.4 pages)
- December 21, 1891- The birth of basketball. It has been changed from simply shooting a soccer ball into a peach basket to dunking a seven pound, leather ball into an iron rim. In the early years of the game, basketball was not as popular as other sports. In the 1985 NBA draft all this would change with the emergence of a 6'6" basketball phenomenon from Wilmington, North Carolina. Although going third in the draft, he recreated the game and is known as the best player to ever touch a basketball; he is Michael Jordan.... [tags: Basketball Michael Jordan]
1010 words (2.9 pages)