In the short story “A Worn Path” lives a “old negro woman named Phoenix Jackson was a very small old woman but still sacrificed herself for the health of her grandson. Phoenix Jackson made a trip to town from Old Natchez Trace to get medicine for her grandson who swallowed lye in January. Phoenix Jackson must travel to Natchez by going through a path in the pinewoods. While Phoenix makes her way through the pinewoods she comes across many surprises. .Although Phoenix Jackson was partially blind because of old age, she has gone through this path more than enough times to know the sounds of animals and when things that may harm her are by her. This story was taking place in the 1940’s which is when racial discrimination was in play. After Phoenix crossed the log she decides to sit down and rest, while she sat she began to doze off and she
imagines a little boy approaching her with a marble cake. The little boy bringing her a slice of marble cake in her dream was a representation of what she wishes
the world around her was like, blacks and whites being e...
... middle of paper ...
...ples of literary techniques but the overbearing literary technique in A Worn Path is symbolism. As symbolism is mentioned throughout the story it is constantly relating to Phoenix Jackson and what she is doing, what she is going through, what around her.
123helpmeEditors. “Symbolism in ‘A Worn Path’” 123helpme. N.p.,n.d.Web. 17 Mar 2014.
Beller, Michelle. “’A Worn Path’ by Eudora Welty: Symbols and Themes.” Yahoo! Voices. Yahoo,
Inc., 29 Nov 2008. Web. 17 Mar 2014.
Schnaila. “Symbolism in ‘A Worn Path’.” College Essay Help and Ideas. N.p., 5 Mar 2012. Web. 17 Mar 2014.
Writing Rock, Editors. “’A Worn Path’ Analysis Research Paper.” Writing Rock. N.p., n.d. Web. 17 Mar 2014.
Welty, Eudora. “A Worn Path.” Heritage of American Literature. Ed. James E. Miller. Vol2. Austin: Harcourt Brace Jovanovich, 1991.12274.Print
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- Symbolism is the use of symbols to represent ideas or qualities. In a soccer team named Cruz Azul there is a person who symbolized hope for the team. His name is Christian Gimenez. Because he was injured he now comes in as a substitute. As soon as people see him getting warmed up they start screaming his name. In soccer when you are called up for the national squad most of the players have a sense of feeling proud for themselves because they get to represent a whole country. Also, in boxing when you have a belt it symbolizes that you are a champion.... [tags: literary analysis]
1104 words (3.2 pages)
- When using symbolism in a story, in a movie or in life in general it helps you understand the meaning of it and lets you get deep inside the topic for a better understanding. Symbolism is a person place or thing that can be interpreted in a different way. A example of symbolism can be related to the religious world. Many people see a tiny edible piece as just another item to eat, but Catholics that attend church see it as a religious piece that symbolizes the body of Christ. You will also see symbolism when you see a navy blue star or when you see a eagle face, a football fan may look at that star as The Dallas Cowboys Team and the eagles head as the Philadelphia Eagles Team.... [tags: scarecrow, phoenix jackson, marble cake]
1548 words (4.4 pages)
- In the short story “A Worn Path” the author uses symbolism through the short story, symbolism is the use of symbols to represent ideas or qualities. Symbolism is the part of the story that is not so literal, it’s the part of the story where you have to use your mind to find it, sometimes it can be really difficult to but most of the time it is really easy. In some stories there’s a lot of them but in some there not many. Like in our short story, A Worn Path by Eudora Welty there is a lot of them.... [tags: phoenix jackson, mythical bird, thorn bush]
1341 words (3.8 pages)
- Symbolism is commonly used to provide imagery and detail to an object. It gives the reader a deeper understanding of what is going on. In football, animals, colors, and flag are used as symbols. For instance, animals and colors are used to show where the team is from and what their mascot is. Flags are used to give penalties to either team, and when a flag is thrown on the field, the crowd automatically knows that there has been a penalty. Colors in football usually go along with where the team is from.... [tags: town of natchez, phoenix]
1120 words (3.2 pages)
- In the story “A Worn Path” uses a continuous number of literary techniques and there is an overflow of symbolism. In the story everything symbolizes an object symbolism is when an object in the story can relate to something. Symbolism is a literary technique that adds meaning to a story by using an event or object as a symbol to represent something else. Phoenix Jackson represents the most important thing in the story the ancient Egyptian bird the Phoenix. The story “A Worn Path” takes place in December 1941.... [tags: natchez, phoenix jackson, circle of life]
1098 words (3.1 pages)
- Using symbolism can take your story to a whole new level by showing us how each character feels in additional it can make a person or even an objects stand out a whole lot more. In Eudora Welty they used symbolism in many different ways that you can even notice them right away. In Eudora Welty ‘A Worn Path’ is a short story where symbols are found everywhere throughout many places where you read. This short story is about an old woman named Phoenix Jackson whom was a black African American that was compared to a mythical Arabian bird, and actually that bird lived up to five centuries in desserts and after living those five centuries it would burn up; and then from those same ashes it would... [tags: phoenix jackson, marble cake, birds]
1803 words (5.2 pages)
- In the short story of “A Worn Path “symbolism is used in a manifold of ways to described the many things that are encountered along the way. The journey through the worn path is a symbolism of the path of life. Also the obstacles that she faces along the way are equivalent to the trials of life. For example, Lady Gaga’s hit single “Born this Way” tells a story of a “new race” being created within humanity. Not making the race yourself, but slowly developing within everyone around. It’s also in the good and bad that goes around the world.... [tags: phoenix jackson, natchez, life, death]
908 words (2.6 pages)
- Today we will be talking about the different literary references used throughout Eudora Welty’s “A Worn Path”. I will explain and decode different techniques used by the author throughout her story. The story is of an old southern African American woman, named Phoenix Jackson, making her way into to town to pick up her grandsons medication from the doctor’s office. But this is no normal old woman. She cannot see and is picking her way with a cane to make her way across a barrage of obstacles. Throughout her journey she comes upon different characters and situations, from these events we will draw our interpretations of the symbolism embedded within the tale.... [tags: phoenix jackson, egyptian bird]
1286 words (3.7 pages)
- Gianina, my twin sister, has an irrational dislike of bananas and cheese. She will not knowingly eat anything that has bananas or cheese, and in fact, the simple mention of bananas may very well throw her into a fit. Bizarrely, one of her favorite foods is mango cheesecake and she will quite happily eat anything so long as no one mentions it contains bananas or cheese. Gianina’s predilection annoys me not only because my favorite thing to eat is new york style pizza, but also because it reminds me that as a kid I had an even stranger quirk: I refused to eat Asian food.... [tags: phoenix jackson, natchez, journey]
619 words (1.8 pages)
- Eudora Welty's A Worn Path Eudora Welty's 'A Worn Path' is a story that emphasizes the natural symbolism of the surroundings. As the story begins, we are introduced to our main character, Phoenix Jackson; she is described as a small, old Negro woman. I believe that the name Eudora Welty gives our main character is very symbolic. The legend of the Phoenix is about a fabled sacred bird of ancient Egyptians. The bird is said to come out of Arabia every 500 years to Heliopolis, where it burned itself on the altar and rose again from its ashes, young and beautiful.... [tags: Eudora Welty Worn Path Essays Papers]
1353 words (3.9 pages)