Cloud computing is now becoming a vastly popular used tool to gain recourses from shared data centers without having to manage it on your own system. This literature review will cover the theme of the energy consumption of cloud computing and how it can be used to save resources and balancing its energy consumption. Total power consumption by these data center in 2012 was around 38 Giga Watt (GW) which could have been sufficient for fulfilling the energy requirements of all residential households of United Kingdom if it would have been utilised properly. This is around 63% more than the power consumption of 2011. It will be around 43 GW in 2013 (Jain et al., 2013).
Data centers are important in this day and age of computing as it means now the public or private users do not need to have the information or data they need to be stored onto they systems as they are able to simply gain. It also means now you aren’t restricted to how much you can stored on your PC as it is all stored on the cloud which uses data centers to store your information. Also with growth in cloud computing could lead to a 38 percent reduction in energy usage in the world 's data centers by 2020. Due to the growth of cloud computing energy consumption will decrease from the current rate of 201.8 terawatt hours to 139.8 TWh in 2020, which equates to a 28 percent reduction in greenhouse gas emissions (Agarwal, 2015).
In cloud computing a lot of energy is being consumed every year due to the high demand of users gaining information from these data centers such as information from Facebook, Google and Amazon. In 2013, U.S. data centers consumed an estimated 91 billion kilowatt-hours of electricity...
... middle of paper ...
...more which reduces the energy consumption and carbon emissions due the the processing power. Also data centers can use techniques to reduce the amount of power they are using to hold this information by using virtualization which allows them to hold multiple systems on one physical system to make them more energy efficient but they can also include further steps to improve upon these methods by creating eco-friendly data centers like the company IBM which has made their center able to less resources and use the collect rainwater as a cooling method for their systems. I feel like cloud computing is the way forward in IT as it is easy tool to use which contains endless information and almost unlimited storage to hold it, it just needs to meet the standards to which will help lower carbon emission in the greenhouse gasses and they amount of energy used.
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- The green IT and sustainability are very important for nowadays, "Green Recovery: A Practical Choice for Sustainable Development in the world."(Thomas, Costa, and Oliveira, 2015) In order to achieve the goal of green recovery, each industry, everyone has a responsibility to contribute to sustainable development in the world. This requires us to have a "green" consciousness, so that "green" concept into the work and life of all links; but also "ideas" into specific "green" actions and measures. Turning to the "green recovery" and sustainable development, I think that involves the following dimensions of change, the physical level of the "green recovery" the government, enterprises and the wh... [tags: Economic development, Economic growth]
2130 words (6.1 pages)
- Abstract - Cloud storage provides users to easily store their data and enjoy the cloud applications need not install in local hardware and software system. In cloud computing, data is moved to a remotely located cloud server. Many users place their data in the cloud and so data integrity is very important issue in cloud storage. In this paper a flexible distributed storage auditing mechanism, using the homomorphism token and distributed erasure coded data and it support to ensure the correctness and availability of users’ data in the cloud.... [tags: Cloud computing, Data management]
795 words (2.3 pages)
- Cloud computing security or cloud security is a growing sub-domain of network security, computer security and more broadly information security. It refers to a set politics, technologies and controls deployed to protect the data, applications and the associated infrastructure of cloud computing. Cloud computing importance is increasing and gaining scientific attention and industrial communities. Cloud computing is one among the top 10 most important technologies and with a better prospect in successful companies and organizations.... [tags: cloud computing, cloud security, private cloud]
1446 words (4.1 pages)
- 1. Introduction Global cloud computing market is expected to grow rapidly due to its efficiency and innovativeness. This technology has been regarded as one of the top priorities for businesses to be efficient in terms of cost cutting, resource utilisation, employee communication, etc (Carcary, 2014). It is forecasted by Analyst group Forrester that the cloud computing market is predicted to increase from £22.5bn in 2011 to approximately £96.6bn by 2020. The definition of cloud computing from US National Institute of Standards and Technology (NIST) is one of the most widely and frequently known; “A model for enabling ubiquitous, convenient, on-demand network access to a shared pool of confi... [tags: Cloud computing, Everything as a service]
1160 words (3.3 pages)
- Explain how the implementation of cloud computing relates to an organisations strategy and how it could affect a company’s value chain. Use a recent announcement by a company to illustrate your explanation. Present your answer in essay format (word guide 1000 - 1200 words). = Cloud computing refers to both the applications delivered as services over the Internet and the hardware and systems software in the data centers that provide those services (Armbrust et al., 2010). The advantages of cloud computing include remote access to data and services, Software as a service (SaaS) Business models, remove internal costs with managed services, enjoy easy up scaling of data requirements Advantag... [tags: Cloud computing, Everything as a service, Risk]
1050 words (3 pages)
- Amazon is constantly searching for opportunities to meet their needs of their customers. They are centered around the customer problem, how the current solutions fail, and how the new product will blow away existing solutions. Amazon has maintained a strategic focus of staying true to what it’s founder, Jeff Bezos, says are customer constants (Mochari, n.d.). Customers are going to continue to want low prices, quick delivery, and a vast selection. Amazon is targeting a gigantic market and it is growing faster than any of its competitors.... [tags: Mattel, Toy, Cloud computing, Barbie]
1187 words (3.4 pages)
- Cloud Computing 1. Cloud Computing Defined Cloud computing is defined to be the use of computer programs and applications, to access information, storage, that is not stored locally on a computer’s hard drive, but rather over the Internet. There are five defining characteristics to cloud computing. Cloud computing allows users to have almost no interaction with the service provider. For example, when we use Google Drive, a web application similar to Microsoft Office, we can do so without ever having to contact the service provider, Google.... [tags: Cloud Computing Defined, Computer Programs]
1186 words (3.4 pages)
- Is your mind cluttered with precious memories and brilliant ideas. Why not store it in the cloud. In the beginning were humans and humans were computers. Even a simple mathematical calculation and a tiny storage of data would consume huge processing power of the human brain. With the passage of time, crunching of information became simpler with the advent of computers and storage of information became easier with the introduction of cloud services but these developments threaten the way humans live and work.... [tags: cloud computing, www]
1310 words (3.7 pages)
- Discussion 2.1 Definition of Cloud Computing Cloud computing are functions that are provided as a service. Cloud computing is a form where Input and Output(I/O) operations take place in terminal device such as workstations, smartphones, tablets. However, information analysis, processing, storage, management and distribution of operations takes place in the third space called the cloud. Software and data are typically stored on the server in the cloud. However, the users only have their device as temporary storage for the duration of use.... [tags: definition, cloud computing, services]
1887 words (5.4 pages)
- According to the National Institute of Standards and Technology (NIST), cloud computing is referred to as a model for enabling convenient, on-demand network access to a shared pool of configuration computing resources that can be rapidly provisioned and released with minimal management effort or service provider interaction. The following paper will discuss the meaning of cloud computing, the major providers, benefits of adoption, pitfalls of adoption, current trends in the business community, and current application within the business community.... [tags: Cloud Services]
2148 words (6.1 pages)
- Services, Or Procedures Of A Competitive Advantage For The Firm
- The Price Of Education Is Only Increasing As The Debt Of The United
- The Level Of Development Of The Fifth Grade Room
- Medicine Is A Forever Evolving Science And Art
- Colgate Palmolive Is A Massive Distribution Range As Soap And Toothpaste Are Needed Everywhere
- Corporate Responsibilities And Ethics At The Carlson School Of Management