Exercises are known to improve the health of our bodies. Surya Namaskar is one such set of exercises that was developed ages ago. It is a wonderfully simple system to keep the body youthful and free of ailments.
As with any other forms of exercise, conditioning the body before asanas is a necessity. By warming and toning up the muscles, quickening and intensifying the cardiac rhythm, without inducing any fatigue or breathlessness, Surya Namaskar brings the body up to the level of activity that is required for continuing with asanas. Surya in Sanskrit means the Sun, and Namaskar means salutation. Surya Namaskar is in fact, a salutation to the Sun, preferably to the rising Sun. For Surya Namaskar, the best time is the early morning, facing the rising Sun.
How should you do Surya Namaskar?
Surya Namaskar is a complete set of exercises that can be undertaken outside a session of Yoga postures. This is made up of a series of twelve movements that is repeated one after the other. They serve to bring the whole muscular structure into play, warming the body up and conditioning it for the asanas. It is a wonderful set of exercises to get you moving in the morning, by toning up your entire body, sharpening up the intellect, increasing the metabolic rate, and improving the blood circulation throughout the body.
Surya Namaskar is a set of six movements to be repeated in reverse. Follow it up with the pictures in the same sequence:
1. Start with standing straight with arms folded on the chest and breathing out.
2. Breathe in as you extend your arms up above your head and bend backwards as far as possible.
3. Next swing your arms to the front, bend forward, and breathe out as you touch your toes.
4. Breathe in as...
... middle of paper ...
...l irregularities. Flat feet are prevented and ankle strength improves. Surplus fat, especially around the hips and thighs, neck and chin are reduced.
Surya Namaskar is especially useful in preventing the carpal tunnel syndrome. In fact, for those who are stuck with a sedentary and computer related job, this exercise is very effective, in invigorating and toning up the whole body at the end of a strenuous day.
Who should not do Surya Namaskar?
Women should not undertake this exercise in the first days of menstruation. Expectant mothers may practice until the beginning of the fifth month. After childbirth, gradually reinstate with the advice of your doctor.
Surya Namaskar requires a very supple back, strong arms and shoulders. If you have problems with your back, seek advice from your doctor before starting. Situations such as spondylitis may get aggravated.
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- Some people do not know all that much about exercise and dieting. They do not know healthy ways to eat, and they don’t realize that one can’t get the “Perfect Body” in just a few days. These people are possibly victims of Fitness Myths. “In 2002, the Federal Trade Commission released a report that shared a review of 300 weight-loss ads promoting 218 different products. They found the rampant use of false or misleading claims” (FTC, 2003) Misleading fitness products can be particularly damaging.... [tags: Fitness and Health Scams]
719 words (2.1 pages)
- Conventional women’s magazines including fitness magazines have traditionally fallen short of providing empowering images of women in articles and advertisements. In the 1980s, fitness magazines catering to females were launched for fitness oriented women (Hardin et al 105). Magazines that were targeted at women’s fitness were analyzed regarding how they portray women in not only articles but advertisements as well. Oxygen, Self and Shape are all fitness magazines that provide articles and images of women regarding fitness and health.... [tags: Health & Fitness]
1107 words (3.2 pages)
- Goal-Setting Techniques and Team Performance When it comes to goal setting, there are four main characteristics, they are as follows: goals should be difficult but attainable, goals should be specific and have a set list of guidelines, group members should display a feeling of commitment to the goal, and all teams should have a feedback system to provide members with information about progress (Robbins & Judge, 2013). Another important factor for successful group performance is the ability of the group leader to understand the self-efficacy of each individual group member.... [tags: fitness goals, healthier companies]
966 words (2.8 pages)
- Today many people believe that flexibility training is not a valued component of conditioning and is thought to be a complete waste of time. Flexibility is the ability to fully achieve an extended range of motion. However, flexible people are less likely to have sore or injured pain after exercise. Being flexible gives you the upper hand of preventing injury or in some cases even treat injuries. The reason behind this is if a muscle or tendon has a greater range of movement it will be unlikely experience any tears whilst active.... [tags: sports, health, fitness]
2082 words (5.9 pages)
- The purpose of this paper is to provide information about nutrition and exercise in respect to the effects these two issues have on the maintenance of homeostasis of the body. For example, this student participated in a three week exercise, in which she set nutrition and exercise goals to restore and improve her overall health and homeostasis. Her goals included a dietary goal of eating three healthy meals a day rather than one meal and snacking on junk foods the rest of the time. In addition, set an exercise goal of walking around her neighborhood two to three times a week to restore, improve, and maintain her muscle tone and function ability due to sedentary levels of activity.... [tags: Nutrition, Fitness, Health]
1284 words (3.7 pages)
- When I graduated from high school, I was introduced to "fast food." The whole summer all I eat was hamburgers, pizza, and unhealthy sandwiches. I quickly went from 150 pounds to 180 pounds. That was all fat and most of it was around my waist line. I realized if I continued this regimen, I would be obese by the time I'm 21 years. I would also be more susceptible to acquiring diseases such as heart disease and cholesterol problems. I joined a local gym and started researching different working techniques and better eating habits.... [tags: Health]
559 words (1.6 pages)
- Topic & Rationale Based on the previous research discussed in the introduction’s article review, the current study’s researchers were trying to examine how emotional well-being is affected by age and how emotional well-being plays a role in longevity and mortality. The researchers loosely hypothesized that well-being in older adults is contrary to many current stereotypes, that in fact many older adults have more positive emotions than negative ones. They stated that the only time there would be an increase in negative affect would be near death or those with terminal illnesses.... [tags: Mental Health]
1081 words (3.1 pages)
- Proposal for a Fitness Center in TI An on-site fitness center for Texas Instruments will prove to be advantageous to the company as well as its employees. Studies show that employees who exercise regularly are more productive, efficient, and pleasant to work with. Texas Instruments has the capability to increase employee retention, recruitment, and revenues by investing in a fitness center through Health Fitness Corporation. Health Fitness Corporation provides on-site fitness centers for numerous prestigious companies such as Best Buy and Federal Express.... [tags: Texas Instruments Health Fitness Corp. Essays]
2567 words (7.3 pages)
- The Focus on Fitness in Our Society Fitness is suddenly a new buzzword.Everybody is talking about keeping themselves fit .It has caught the fancy of the people of all ages ,shapes and sizes .Our neighbourhoods have seen a mushrooming of gymnasiums and spas. Earlier they were seen only in five star hotels but now can be seen at every street end or a part of every society .It has become customary for every society to have a ‘gym’ also .This phenomenon can be partly attributed to the sedentary lifestyle and the junk food we keep gorging on .... [tags: Exercise Fitness Image Health Weight Loss]
732 words (2.1 pages)
- Health and Fitness When I think about people who are into health and fitness and people who are not, I notice the two groups differ greatly. These two groups have two totally different lifestyles. People who are into health and fitness wake up to a bright sunny morning, every morning, and debate with themselves if they should go on a short or a long morning run. On the last half of their morning run these people one already thinking what healthy tasty breakfast they can satisfy the hunger built up on the fun.... [tags: essays research papers]
660 words (1.9 pages)