African Americans went through more than 100 years of mistreatment and prejudice before receiving their rights. Women had to fight for over seventy years to get the same rights as men. How long does the gay community have to wait for equality? Human rights are for humans, so acceptance is the key and discrimination is proving to be a huge lock. America is supposed to be the land of the free, yet we continue to bring the hammer down on people who are different. Your human rights should not be taken away because of skin color, gender, or how you identify yourself and who you choose to love. Marriage is a human right, not a heterosexual privilege.
For some same-sex couples, they were able to travel and get married in the states that do allow it. However, the problem is that the states that do not allow same-sex marriage will not always recognize the marriage or give proper marital benefits to the couples. Same-sex couples that marry should be given the same advantages and rights that heterosexual married couples receive. One big problem that faces the same-sex couples who cannot marry is that some benefits are only available to married couples, such as hospital visitations during illnesses, the ability to receive family health coverage, inheritance rights and protection if the relationship ends.
The American Psychological Association (APA) has researched and found that lesbian, gay, and bisexual individuals have higher rates of depression as well as higher rates for drug or alcohol abuse and anxiety problems (Vedantam). In today’s world, being gay causes you to be ridiculed, bullied, told you are damned, and sometimes makes you the victim of terrible hate crimes such as beatings, having your property destroyed or vandalized, and unf...
... middle of paper ...
Jones, Jeffrey M., "Same-Sex Marriage Support Solidifies Above 50% in U.S.," Gallup.com,
May 13, 2013
Langbein, Laura and Yost, Jr., Mark A. "Same-Sex Marriage and Negative Externalities," Social
Science Quarterly, June 2009
Loving v. Virginia, US Supreme Court
June 12, 1967
Perry, Kathryn, "The Cost of Gay Marraige - In Dollars and Cents," Christian Science Monitor,
May 27, 2009
Silver, Nate, "Divorce Rates Higher in States with Gay Marriage Bans,"
www.fivethirtyeight.com, Jan. 12, 2010
Vedantam, Shankar, "Bans of Same-Sex Marriage Can Take a Psychological Toll,"
http://www.npr.org/2013/05/20/184829036/bans-of-same-sex-marriage-can-take-a-psychological-toll, May 20, 2013
Walker, Vaughn, JD, Opinion, Perry v. Schwarzenneger www.uscourts.gov, Aug. 4, 2010
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- Marriage has been a part of society from the earliest of time. The joining of one man and one woman has been celebrated by many. We are taught to be the “perfect” husband or wife or at least the skills it takes in order to be considered a “perfect” husband or wife. We’re taught to love each other through sick and poor and all the battles we will face together. Over time, marriage has changed. Marriage, once a strong bond between man and wife, is now simply a flimsy piece of paper that has no strength to keep them together.... [tags: Homosexualism, Marriage, LGBTQ, Gay]
1253 words (3.6 pages)
- Within this essay, the main focus will be to develop a thorough analysis and discussion in relation to the topic of gay marriage. In order to construct this, this essay will discuss positions in favor of and against gay marriage. In reference to the position supporting gay marriage, the discussion will focus on; discrimination and equality and respect on individual’s rights. The points that will be discussed contraty to gay marriage will be building upon ideas that we rose in the debate as well as incorporating some new material.... [tags: Legalizing Gay Marriage]
2697 words (7.7 pages)
- On June 26, 2015, the US Supreme Court ruled that the US Constitution guarantees the right for same-sex couples to marry in all 50 US states. Associate Justice Anthony Kennedy stated in the majority opinion: "The court now holds that same-sex couples may exercise the fundamental right to marry. No longer may this liberty be denied to them." Many conservatives are completely against gay marriage and they have stated that they will fight to have the Supreme Court ruling overturned. Christian politicians are using religious arguments to establish that homosexuality is an abomination.... [tags: Social Issues Gay Marriage Essays]
1537 words (4.4 pages)
- The issue at hand with the Supreme Court was whether the four states remaining (Tennessee, Ohio, Michigan and Kentucky) same-sex marriage bans violated the 14th amendment of the U.S. Constitution. The 6th Circuit Court of Appeals found that those bans were constitutional. In 2003 the state of Massachusetts high court to find “to find a right to marriage equality in a state constitution” (Emily Bazelon, 2015). It is up to the higher courts of our United States to decide whether the federal Constitution will require all states to either license same-sex unions or to acknowledge those unions if they were performed somewhere else.... [tags: Same-sex marriage, Marriage]
777 words (2.2 pages)
- Gay marriage refers to a marriage between partners of the same sex. Marriage references back to the book of Genesis in the Bible, and God specifically defines marriage as a man and a woman becoming one flesh; therefore, I do not support gay marriage and gay marriage should be renamed to “united relationship,” which receives equal state benefits but accurately illustrates the difference between the traditional and non-traditional marriage. Many individuals view marriage as a civil right because of the state benefits it includes thus resulting in gay marriage continually gaining support.... [tags: Homosexuality, Same-sex marriage, Marriage]
1135 words (3.2 pages)
- Should Gay Marriage be Legalized. Marriage equality, Gay marriage and Same-sex marriage is been a huge topic in the media in this generation. In the last couple of years, many people have become more open minded to the idea of same-sex marriage, although there are still many individuals who cannot imagine marriage for same sex couple. This is why this topic becomes huge the last couple years. For the last couple of years more and more people had become more accepting when it comes to gay relationships and gay marriages maybe because there are more gay people and same-sex couples who did their best to fight for their voices and freedom to be heard, also there are more individual who are now g... [tags: Same-sex marriage, Homosexuality, Marriage]
2016 words (5.8 pages)
- Gay Marriage has been known as somewhat of a problem in the US, because a lot of people do not agree. Although, Gays and supporting citizens believe that it 's their right to be wed if they choose. There has been same sex relations for as long as anyone can remember. Even 11 native tribes have recognized same sex relations (10 facts). There has also been a disagreement over the decision for the same time span. This has lead to a conflict of, should gays be legally aloud to get married because of their beliefs or, should it be banned because people believe it 's unconstitutional or does not suit their religion.... [tags: Same-sex marriage, Marriage, Homosexuality]
1265 words (3.6 pages)
- We live in a very controversial time when it comes to same sex marriages. This issue is one of the most widely discussed controversies along with what rights they deserve and what rights they should be denied. Straight people have very opposing beliefs on this topic, some believe gays are given far too few rights and should be granted ultimate freedom while others believe gays already have enough rights and the debate should end now. This is why our nation is so at war with this issue. The research found explains if marital and family status influence same sex marriages, gay rights, laws on marriage, the strength of gay marriage, and how the government is working to expand gay marriage right... [tags: Same-sex marriage, Homosexuality, Marriage]
1575 words (4.5 pages)
- Should Gay Marriage be legalized. Marriage equality, Gay marriage, Same-sex marriage has been a huge topic in the media in this generation. In the last couple of years, many people have become more open minded to the idea of same-sex marriage, maybe because there are more gay people and same-sex couple who did they’re best and fight for their voices and freedom to be heard. There are also some TV shows that helped mold the eyes and the minds of many Americans when it comes to gay marriage and gay relationships; one example is the Modern Family show.... [tags: Same-sex marriage, Marriage, Homosexuality]
1205 words (3.4 pages)
- Lindsey and Beth, a lesbian couple, have been living together for eleven years. Lindsey conceived two children from a sperm donor. Together, Lindsey and Beth turned their house into a loving home for their two children. One day, on the way home from the grocery store, Lindsey was killed in a tragic car accident. Before Beth could even grasp the situation, the children that she helped raise from birth had been taken away and placed into the care of Lindsey's parents, who never were a part of their lives because they did not accept Lindsey's homosexuality.... [tags: Homosexual Gay Lesbian Rights Same Sex Couples]
2225 words (6.4 pages)