Effective supervision of sex offenders released back into the general public is a priority for community co...
... middle of paper ...
...toring sex offenders. Assessing Community Corrections' Resources to Enhance Law Enforcement Capabilities, 01-16. Retrieved from http://www.ojp.usdoj.gov/BJA/pdf/IACPSexOffenderElecMonitoring.pdf
Perkins, D., Hammond, S., Coles, D., & Bishopp, D. (1998). Review of sex offender treatment programs. 01-16. Retrieved from http://www.ramas.co.uk/report4.pdf
Sturup, G. K. (1968). Treatment of sexual offenders in Herstedvester Denmark: The rapists. Acta Psychiatrica Scandinavia Supplement, 204 5-62.
Fedoroff J.P., Wisner-Carlson R.,Dean S. and Berlin F.S. (1992) Medroxy-Progesterone Acetate in the treatment of paraphillic sexual disorders. Journal of Offender Rehabilitation. 18, 109-123.
Finn, P. U.S. Department of Justice, Office of Justice Programs. (1997). Sex offender community notification. Retrieved from http://www.abtassociates.us/reports/sex-offender.pdf
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- They are many challenges faced when managing sex offenders in the community. Policy makers have to worry about the offender’s risk and needs as well as the public safety and public perception. However, by measuring the individual risk factors and matching it with supervision that is best suitable for them and treatment strategies can help reduce an offender risk from reoffending. In Nathan’s situation, he is a 39-year-old Caucasian male, is under intensive supervision since he is a pedophile. He was involved with two previous relationships in which one of the women was his wife.... [tags: treatment strategies, prison, community]
1325 words (3.8 pages)
- Life after Prison When most people think of individuals that have been labeled sex offenders in their area, there is not much remorse or empathy felt toward them. All sex offenders are characterized as child molesting sex enthusiasts when in reality, that’s not always factual. When a person commits a crime qualifying them as a federal sex offender, their life has changed forever in the worst way. The magnitude of the crime has been almost always irrelevant and treatment is level in the eyes of the law.... [tags: Sex offender, Sex offender registration]
1572 words (4.5 pages)
- Sex Offender Population There is no “standard” sexual offender. Child molesters and rapists come from a multitude of backgrounds and are most often seen as law abiding individuals. In most cases, offenders are male; however, there have been cases of females committing sexual offences reported in the past (Schaffer, Jeglic, Moster & Wnuk, 2010). This treatment manual will focus on the male sexual offender population; they may vary in age, from youth to senior citizens. In fact, more than half of the adult male sexual offender population began offending in their teens (Terry, 2004).... [tags: Sex offender, Human sexual behavior, Sex crimes]
1933 words (5.5 pages)
- When the general populace hears the words “sex offender” or “sexually based offense” the image that is almost instantaneously conjured up is negative, typically involving an adult male, and may include images of rape, sex trafficking, “stranger danger,” or other grotesque sexual misbehaviors. The assumptions the general public tends to make regarding sex offenders are often based on highly publicized stories, personal biases, or other assumptions, and not necessarily on statistical information. The general public may often assume that the majority of sexual offenses are perpetrated by an adult stranger, and therefore, they are safer with people they know, however, research indicates that cas... [tags: Sex offender, Human sexual behavior]
1473 words (4.2 pages)
- Sex offenders in the United States (U.S.) are considered to be the worst of the worst. They are at the bottom of the food chain in prison culture and are considered to be worse than murderers and rapists. This is very evident in Florida where they have the most restrictive sex offender registration and sentencing laws in the nation. No matter how minor the crime a sex offender in Florida is registered for life, and after release from prison must register in-person with local sheriff’s department (Do Florida sex offender registration requirements go too far?).... [tags: Sex offender, Human sexual behavior]
1289 words (3.7 pages)
- The significant difference in discretion within Vermont and Alabama’s statutes demonstrates how states prioritize the public and offenders quite differently. Sex offender legislation addresses two main issues, public safety and the rights of sex offenders. While it would be ideal that the two issues would both be balanced priorities in each state, it is clear in the above case study that this is not the situation. Vermont does an impressive job at balancing the public’s safety while maintaining offender’s rights.... [tags: Sex offender, Sex offender registration]
755 words (2.2 pages)
- What is sex offence or what is a sex offenders. As I tried to do some research on this subject I came across lot data and research that was completely mind blowing. A sex offender is someone who has committed sex offensive crimes. This covers a very wide range of crimes such as: Sexual conduct with a minor Incest Sexually assaulting your spouse Child molestation or continually abusing a child Using a child for the purpose of prostitution Lewd and unacceptable act in public Sexual act in public Indecent public exposure The list goes on and on.... [tags: Human sexual behavior, Sex offender, Rape]
2255 words (6.4 pages)
- In 2011, Darrin Miller was accused of attempting to lure multiple boys to his vehicle on a number of dissimilar occasions as they walked to and from a number of schools, including Hamilton Middle School and High School, Melrose High School and Sherwood Middle School. His charges were Solicitation of a minor, and several instances of sexual exploitation. This teacher was a sex offender. Sex offenders are ruthless and deserve to be punished for their deeds. The offenders believe, however, that they should be able to live normal lives once they leave prison.... [tags: Human sexual behavior, Sex offender, Rape]
1615 words (4.6 pages)
- There are many topics nowadays that are still hard to talk about openly. Though we’ve opened the door on many controversies, some of the simplest parts of life can be the hardest to discuss. For most of us, sex in particular can be a taboo topic, which may be the reason why so many children and teens are misinformed on the inner workings of sexual relationships and how they develop as we grow and mature. For some adolescents, this can lead to an unhealthy fixation on the concept of sex, and in some cases, lead them to take action on a situation they do not fully understand.... [tags: Adolescents, sex, offenders]
1262 words (3.6 pages)
- Sex offenders have been a serious problem for our legal system at all levels, not to mention those who have been their victims. There are 43,000 inmates in prison for sexual offenses while each year in this country over 510,000 children are sexually assaulted(Oakes 99). The latter statistic, in its context, does not convey the severity of the situation. Each year 510,000 children have their childhood's destroyed, possibly on more than one occasion, and are faced with dealing with the assault for the rest of their lives.... [tags: Adult Sex Offender Recidivism]
2497 words (7.1 pages)