Forty two years later, Yun Ling (64) navigates a road, in the back seat of her car are boxes of legal papers. She reaches a tea plantation where she is greeted by FREDERIK PRETORIUS (67). They have a stilted conversation about her case which has been stalled because she is suspected of being associated with Aritomo, a suspected Japanese spy.
Back in 1951, Yun Ling (28) marches down a prison hallway. CAPTAIN HIDEYOSHI MAMORU (40s), a Japanese prisoner gives her a letter. She says she will deliver it if he gives her information on a camp. He gives her new information. She takes him to be executed, does not deliver his letter, and returns to her desk job as a clerk. Her BOSS (50s) tells her about the peace treaty. She takes the train to Kuala Lumpur where she is collected by MAGNUS PRETORIUS (65). They reach the tea plantation where they are greeted by EMILY PRETORIUS (48). Frederik (31) comes out to join them and introduces himself to Yun Ling and directs her to where she will be sleeping.
She wakes up early the next morning and explores the area and discovers a half-finished Japanese garden. She continues on to a traditional Japanese house where she meets NAKAMURA ARITOMO (51). Yun Ling tells him about her sister and her dream Japanese garden and asks him to make that dream come true. She tells him that her sister died during the surrender and that she is trying to recover her remains and that th...
... middle of paper ...
...n. In 1952, Yun Ling wanders around the destroyed garden. She decides to try to mend the lawn. Aritomo observes her. She is joined by other workers. Yun Ling guides them through the repairs. Aritomo resumes his charge.
In 1987, Yun Ling shows Frederik a drawing of the lawn and then reveals her tattoo. She asks him to redo the drawing to match her tattoo. They discover that her back is a map. In 1952, Aritomo and Yun Ling eat together. He tells her that she should go into law. They walk through the finished garden. They have sex, and the next morning she finds him walking into the woods. In 1987, Frederik and Yun Ling review a current map. Yun Ling decides to not go looking for her sister and issues a statement that she doesn’t know Aritomo. Frederik congratulates her new position as justice and she apologizes to him. She finally mails the letter along with 7 others.
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- The Color Gray "There 's so much gray to every story- nothing is ever so black and white," American journalist and reporter Lisa Ling once said. Like Lisa 's statement claims, sometimes the reasons for doing something are not as clear as we would like them to be. When it comes to a concept as mystifying as love, there is never a clear answer as to how and why people find themselves in love. It can be argued that as human beings, we look for love using our hearts, but it is equally contested that we try to use our heads to make the most reasonable decisions that we can.... [tags: Love, Emotion, Romance]
1838 words (5.3 pages)
- JOB SUMMARY: Working in the Bylaw Services Division, the incumbent assists the Bylaw Enforcement Officers in a limited scope during the summer season. Responsibilities include: responding to burning and water / sprinkling complaints, collecting unpaid business licenses, completing inspections for businesses that operate without a business license, and collecting unpaid dog licenses. The work is differentiated from that of a Bylaw Officer by the more routine nature of complaints and infractions that are assigned.... [tags: Job Summary]
644 words (1.8 pages)
- ... Alibaba’s two large shareholders are Yahoo China and Softbank. Stakeholders of Alibaba also include buyers, online shop owners, suppliers, partners, shareholders, advertisers, third-party certification service providers and etc. The stakeholders of Alibaba also include its competitors Jingdong.com and eBay and etc. Core competence of the Alibaba showed below: First of all, the core competence of the Alibaba must be the organisational culture. According to Ma (2013), the technology that Alibaba used is only a tool, the core competence of the organizational culture.... [tags: environment, strategies, leader, vision]
3248 words (9.3 pages)
- Ding Ling is one of the many women writers during the age of New Culture who went through a process of uncertainty and self-discovery. She is also one of most praised 20th century Chinese women writers. She wrote many books and short works, including I Myself Am a Woman: Selected Writing of Ding Ling, which includes many of her short works. Some of her short works in the book are “Miss Sophia’s Diary”, “A Woman and a Man”, and “Yecao”. In these three shorts she showcases three different women as modern woman by displaying their thoughts and feelings.... [tags: Woman, Female, Love, Women]
1408 words (4 pages)
- Published in 1928, 'The Diary of Miss Sophia', is a short novel, that converges on a diminutive period of a terminally ill young women's life, intricately focusing on the complexity of women during the early 1900's, through her relationships with other characters. The novel also explores the turmoil's of the young woman's country - China, through her unconventional pursuit of love. Written in first person, which was a way many May Fourth writers expressed individualism (K. Denton, 1998: 164), in diary format, the author, Ding Ling, aims to create an intermit relationship between the diary writer: Sophia, and the readers, and suggestively to provide a contextually rich piece of literature.... [tags: china, turmoil, women's life]
1410 words (4 pages)
- News Summary and Reaction ASTRONOMY “A New Black Hole” “Scientific American Evidence that the heavens house a previously unknown type of black hole was reported by scientists yesterday. Data from NASA’s Chandra X-Ray Observatory revealed a hole was some 600 light-years from the center of the starburst galaxy M82. The brightness of the x-ray source indicates that this moon-size hole has the mass of at least 500 suns, making it intermediate between stellar black holes and the supermassive black holes found at the centers of galaxies.... [tags: Summary and Response]
568 words (1.6 pages)
- The Meaning of Chow Yun-Fat (It's In His Mouth) Ultimately, it comes down to his mouth. Chow Yun-Fat is the coolest movie actor in the world today, and the only way I can explain this is to talk about his mouth. He does cool things with his mouth. Smoking cigarettes is no longer an emblem of cool in the USA, but Chow does wonders with cigarette smoke in Prison On Fire. Director Ringo Lam understands this; like most of the great Hong Kong directors, he loves using slow motion and freeze frames to pinpoint important moments in his movies, and he saves a few of the most elegant slow-motion sequences for Chow blowing smoke and looking cool.... [tags: essays research papers]
2315 words (6.6 pages)
- Financial Planning and Management Summary ▲ Financial planning links the goals a business wants to achieve in the future and the resources it will need to achieve these goals. It is also concerned with evaluating the financial resource of a business. Strategic financial management is about setting the goals throughout the business and deciding what resources will be needed to achieve these goals. The main objective of financial management is to properly account for the income and expenditure of a business in order to maximise the value of that business to it’s owners.... [tags: Economic Financial Planning Strategy Summary]
1819 words (5.2 pages)
- Go Ask Alice Summary An unnamed fifteen-year-old diarist, whom the novel's title refers to as Alice, starts a diary. With a sensitive, observant style, she records her adolescent agony: she worries about what her crush Roger thinks of her; she despises her weight gain; she fears her budding sexuality; she is uncomfortable at school; she has difficulty relating to her parents. Alice's father, a college professor, accepts a teaching position at a different college and the family will move at the start of the new year, which cheers Alice up.... [tags: Summary Ask Alice Book Review]
1248 words (3.6 pages)
- a) The underlined group of words is a noun phrase I know it is a noun phrase because a cat is a thing and fits the description of a noun. The grammatical function of the underlined group of words is subject. I applied a tag question to determine this was the subject. In absence of an operator I used the base do. So the sentence now reads The cat did fall out of the tree. Because the operator is the first word of the verb phrase it takes the tense. To get a question I move the operator to the front of the sentence so it now reads Did the cat fall out of the tree.... [tags: essays research papers]
1371 words (3.9 pages)