Naomi’s sister, Ruth, was jealous. Ruth made a novena to the Virgin, asking for Naomi’s teeth to rot, but Naomi lived to old age and never lost her teeth or her beauty. It was said about her that even in her seventies she looked middle age.
Her family attributed her health in old age to a pact that she made with the devil. Witchcraft explained Naomi’s ability to keep a boyfriend, who was thirty years younger than she was. Naomi attributed her health to the time she spent in the woods with the oaks.
Aunt Colleen said Naomi had the ability to apprehend the true nature of things Aunt Claudia had the same gift. To prove it my aunt used the example of Naomi figuring out it was her Uncle Earnest who ate all the Christmas pudding. He claimed to be too sick to leave his bed, and that Christmas Eve, he ate the pudding while others were at midnight mass. Naomi proved it by finding a drop of chocolate on his nightshirt.
Naomi proved that her Uncle Jack sliced the bottom of his brothers’ boats because the twins caught more fish than he and his best friend caught. She noticed that the holes had a jagged edge where the knife punctured the hide. This was because Uncle Jack’s knife had a chip near the tip of the blade. Therefore, the knife caught and tore the hide.
It was said that Naomi cast a spell on the Bucher’s son, which caused him to ignore her sister’s Delilah’s crooked nose. That was until the priest accidently sprayed holy water on the butcher’s son face. That broke the spell, and the next day Delilah’s husband boa...
... middle of paper ...
... day the boys left, Trefer’s father and his uncle prayed to Saint Christopher that the boys would return.
They had told the boys that to die in the ocean was horrible because ocean fisherman have no saint. The Welsh fisherman had Saint Christopher because he carried the baby Jesus across a raging river. He protects the Welsh fishermen. The boys laughed and of course on their first ocean trip they all drowned. It was predictable. The family thought all was lost. They packed up the family and moved to the USA.
“Why hadn’t I heard this before,” I asked?
“Your Grandfather forbade everyone to talk about it. He said we had to grieve in solitude out of respect for the dead,” Colleen answered.
“What do you think,” I asked as we entered the driveway to my Aunt Claudia’s house.
“I think we better get things ready for tonight, and we’ll talk about it later,” Colleen said.
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- It was bright day in the summer of 2008 in the Hamptons. My great aunt has invited us all over to stay in her house. We all are just waking up, meeting each other downstairs one by one. Not knowing anything on what the day has to offer. My whole family was talking about on what they were going to do for the day. So we all made a decision and decided that we are going to just go to the pool and maybe go into town later on. Afterward, we all went upstairs to get ready. My aunt Danielle goes and takes her shirt off the hanger and lays it out on her bed.... [tags: Family, 2007 singles, Rooms, 2007 albums]
709 words (2 pages)
- Dearest Aunt Clara, Art is a wondrous thing, so it is really no wonder at all that one would be a bit perplexed when trying to find the right piece to donate- especially when donating to The Family Lounge at Children’s Memorial Hospital. Given that the painting will be showcased in such an intimate area, I believe that a certain set of criteria and expectations should be set when making this decision. I have come up with the following rules for decorating that I believe will help weave out the perfect piece for the hospital.... [tags: Mind, Thought, Anxiety, MIND]
1612 words (4.6 pages)
- Siobhan then recounted the story of Aunt Callie finding the positive pregnancy test, and as she told me what happened, I had expected her to waver and let her mother plant seeds of doubt in her mind, and I was relieved to hear that hadn’t been the case. Siobhan had developed a spine in the couple of months since she and Nolan first hooked up; she boldly told Aunt Callie she wasn’t terminating the pregnancy and then revealed who the father was. I had waited too long for her to deflect her mother’s verbal blows, and I hugged Siobhan when she told me she finally did.... [tags: Family, Mother]
825 words (2.4 pages)
- Naomi Klein’s No Logo states that corporations have been championing globalization using the reasons that globalization allows U.S. consumers to benefit from cheaper products produced abroad, while developing nations benefit from the economic growth stimulated by foreign investments. The generally accepted belief is that governmental policies should be established in favor of the corporations to facilitate the trickling down of corporate profits to the end consumers and workers abroad. Klein, however, contends that globalization rarely benefit the workers in the developing countries.... [tags: No Logo Naomi Klein ]
1288 words (3.7 pages)
- Define a beautiful woman. What kinds of adjectives come to mind. Do her inner qualities make her beautiful as well. What does "beauty is only skin deep" really mean. I always thought what made a person truly and genuinely beautiful, is whats on the inside. So often, we judge women on their appearance first, then their abilities. Did you ever wonder how this came about and why we all do this today. dont try to deny it, were all shallow and addicted to entertainment, its simply our culture, our way of life.... [tags: Naomi Wolf]
1675 words (4.8 pages)
- Analysis of The Beauty Myth by Naomi Wolf The Beauty Myth, published by Doubleday in New York City, hit the shelves in 1992. Naomi Wolf wrote this 348-page book. Wolf attended Yale University and New College, Oxford University, where she was a Rhodes Scholar. Her essays have been printed in many well-known magazines and newspapers, including Esquire and the New York Times. The Beauty Myth was Wolf’s first book. She has also written two other books, Fire With Fire and Promiscuities. Wolf is a recognized feminist.... [tags: The Beauty Myth Feminism Naomi Wolf Essays]
589 words (1.7 pages)
- Aunt Jennifer's Tigers by Adrienne Rich Who is Aunt Jennifer. Does she even exist. I had to ask myself these questions before even going further into the poem. The answers opened the door to a deeper meaning behind Aunt Jennifer's Tigers. Based on Adrienne Rich's background I believe Aunt Jennifer did exist. However, Aunt Jennifer was not Rich's aunt. Aunt Jennifer represented women all over the world, particularly women in American, who were caught under the oppressive hand of a patriarchal society.... [tags: Aunt Jennifer's Tigers]
1074 words (3.1 pages)
- Oppression in Aunt Jennifer’s Tigers Composed in three carefully rhymed stanzas, the poem can firstly seem an homage to the speaker’s skills in stitching a panel with tigers. However, a detailed reading reveals images and symbols that suggest a relation of oppression concerning Aunt Jennifer and her husband. The tigers of Aunt Jennifer’s stitchings are representative of her free spirit, how she pines for freedom from her burdensome husband. The “bright topaz denizens of green” evokes the mental image of majestic tigers not bound by the whims of another being.... [tags: Aunt Jennifer’s Tigers Adrienne Rich]
630 words (1.8 pages)
- Great Expectations Great Expectations is one of many great books written by Charles Dickens, and in my opinion it will always be one of the great classics in English literature. Charles Dickens introduces Miss Haversham to the novel in the following way. The story is told by Pip, a grown man describing his experiences as a young common labouring boy in the early Victorian period. He sometimes tends to narrate the story as if through the eyes of an innocent child. The effect that has on the reader is that it brings out both a mature and young adventurous side in us, it also makes us feel sorry for Pip in a way, because of the way he was treated by his merciless sister.... [tags: Great Expectations Essays]
736 words (2.1 pages)
- News Summary and Reaction ASTRONOMY “A New Black Hole” “Scientific American Evidence that the heavens house a previously unknown type of black hole was reported by scientists yesterday. Data from NASA’s Chandra X-Ray Observatory revealed a hole was some 600 light-years from the center of the starburst galaxy M82. The brightness of the x-ray source indicates that this moon-size hole has the mass of at least 500 suns, making it intermediate between stellar black holes and the supermassive black holes found at the centers of galaxies.... [tags: Summary and Response]
568 words (1.6 pages)