Managers must have the humility to realize no one is perfect (Baldoni, Use Humility to Improve Performance, 2009) and the ability to honestly assess their strengths and weaknesses so that they can continue to develop as a professional (Baldoni, 2009). This self-awareness is fundamental to being an effective leader. Managers should strive to better their performance, for not only themselves but also their employees; without a clear picture of areas that need work, how could one establish where that work should begin? By stressing the importance of and demonstrating a desire to continuously better managerial performance, managers are setting the example for their employees (Prahalad, 2010). This type of behavior shows employees that you genuinely care about your performance and how it impacts them, in addition to modeling the behavior the employee themselves should adopt. If employees see that a manager accepts there are personal areas that need improvement and takes steps to improve, they may be more enthusiastic to do so themselves. Self-awareness and continuous improvement are traits that all workers, managers and employees alike, should have.
Effective managers must also demonstrate a genuine concern for the well-being and professional deve...
... middle of paper ...
... called upon to cultivate many traits in order to be successful. The humility to realize there is always room for improvement and the self-awareness to identify those areas in need of it allows a manager to continuously improve their performance. Developing a managerial style of support and concern shows employees that they are valued as individuals and can help the team be more successful. This concern extends to the workplace itself, where managers need to ensure all employees are treated fairly. Creating an environment that fosters teamwork and stresses the importance of the collective effort is another key managerial trait. Ultimately, managers need to live the principles they preach to their employees. It is always best to lead and motivate by example. By modeling the desired behaviors for all to see, managers can help motivate their employees to do the same.
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- ... Being analytical with my thoughts helps keep the reasoning and logic of what the project is trying to accomplish into a real possibility. My thought process is very grounded and I try to utilize all of the available knowledge available to form the foundation of all group projects. While I use logic and knowledge to form all thoughts, I have a great visionary mind that is always thinking about or planning for the future. A great quality of a visionary leader is that I am open to new information according to Travis Turner’s Creative Leader article.... [tags: education, skills, job]
727 words (2.1 pages)
- According to the study of this course, I have learned many useful management skills and I feel like these skills will be applied to my future career development. When working on the self- assessment tests, I found myself fall into the category of the ISTJ personality types, which as illustrated by Myers Briggs, is the type of personality that is conscientious, considerate, and helpful. Personality traits such as honest, dutiful, practical and responsible are my strengths; personality traits such as stubborn, insensitive and poor communication skill are my weaknesses.... [tags: Management, Leadership, Personality psychology]
1131 words (3.2 pages)
- After reflecting on my Strengths and weaknesses that I addressed in my SWOT analysis I tried to come up with three goals that would push me to my career goal. I plan to get my doctorate in economics so that I may be a college professor. I was concerned with the time it would take to get my degree, but time has passed and I am no longer worried. I even visited the Advising center to clarify my degree plan and review the recommended courses. Community college is just a stepping stone. My eyes are set on A&M University and I plan to transfer in the fall semester of 2016.... [tags: High school, College, Money, 2006 singles]
1253 words (3.6 pages)
- Strengths and weaknesses are important for leaders to understand in order to create a successful movement; however, nobody is born with strengths. Everyone has naturally occurring talents that are individual to themselves. Over time, applying a talent repeatedly will develop that trait into a strength, which can then be applied to any situation one may encounter. I found the StrengthsFinder assessment to be an excellent measure of my talents. As a student who was involved in leadership and academics at a high level in high school, I felt as though I knew myself well.... [tags: Leadership, High school, College, Goal]
1020 words (2.9 pages)
- On a daily basis, we come in contact with individuals that we have to communicate with, wither it be for work purposes, educational purposes, or social practices. As active humans we cannot escape the idea of socializing or communication, therefor; we make it a daily routine who we communicate with, how we communicate with them, what we listen to and how we listen it. With this routine habits are formed, some are strengths but others are weaknesses that diminish the communication quality. It is extremely important for individuals to recognize these strengths and weakness within their communication routine.... [tags: Communication, Nonviolent Communication]
1243 words (3.6 pages)
- I would describe some of strengths as being able to define clear objectives when working in group settings whether it is in the working world or in academic settings and communicating clearly to the rest of the people in my group when I am in the lead or not. I communicate clearly to other people what I want to achieve out of working in a group, but also what I want them to achieve themselves. As a leader it is imperative that I allow other people in the group to learn and grow along with the rest of the group.... [tags: Personality type, Personality psychology]
903 words (2.6 pages)
- Personal strengths and weaknesses determine how an individual will perform in their careers and lives. Clifton and Nelson (2010), defines strengths as “things that one does well” (p. 42). Strengths are traits of a person’s performance or views that result in personal gratification and reward. Effective leaders should strive to develop their personal strengths. Strengths can be drawn from things that an individual currently excels at or those from the past. Weaknesses on the other hand, are things that result in lessened productivity.... [tags: leadership, management, leader]
928 words (2.7 pages)
- I believe that life is a learning experience and being able to recognize our own strengths and weaknesses can help us become better individuals in anything we choose to do, whether it is positive abilities and skills that can help achieve our goals or negative personal areas that need improvement. Knowing yourself and what you can do, can help you recognize and overcome your weaknesses. One of my greatest strengths at work that I have recognized would have to be my ability to be a well-organized individual.... [tags: Personal Narrative Essays]
791 words (2.3 pages)
- Personal Strengths and Weaknesses What are my personal strengths and weaknesses. When I think about this question, the first thing that comes to mind is a job interview. I, like most people, find this simple question to be the most stressful moment of any interview. I want to give an answer that is imaginative but does not give the interviewer a bad impression of myself. In this paper, I will describe my strengths and weaknesses as I would to a job interviewer. I will give specific examples of my strengths and place a positive spin on my weaknesses.... [tags: essays research papers]
1080 words (3.1 pages)
- The objective of this paper is to show you the personal strengths and weakness that I identified by asking friends and family their opinion on the topic regarding yours truly, and by examining myself for areas that I am really good at (also known as strengths) and areas I need to improve (otherwise known as weaknesses). After I have identified them, I will tell you how recognizing my strengths and weakness can help me to improve myself to achieve a more peaceful and satisfying personal life. I will start with the unflattering information first and list my most obvious weaknesses.... [tags: essays research papers]
894 words (2.6 pages)
- Gilgamesh : The Epic Of Gilgamesh
- The Death Of Toni Jo Henry
- Analysis Of The Movie ' Heroin ' And Swansea Love Story ' By Andy Capper And Leo Leigh
- The Factors That Are Affecting South Africa 's Efforts Combating Hiv / Aids?
- The Parable Of The Lost Son
- The Availability Of Online Degrees Dramatically Changed The Idea Of Higher Education