A storage device is the system where your computer stores and retrieves your data. Storage devices can be a hard disk drive, DVD, CD drives, Blu-Ray drives or flash drives. A computer can retrieve the data by being “commanded” to retrieve it from the storage area and retrieve it to your RAM. The RAM of the computer is your temporary memory where your data is inputted, and then processed and stored onto a storage device for permanent placement.
There are several different storage devices that can be used to store your data. These are the magnetic storage, optical storage, and solid state storage. According to Parsons and Oja (2014), “a magnetic storage devices stores the data by magnetizing microscopic particles on a disk or tape surface” (p 78). These particles remain on the magnetic disk until it is resaved. This type of drive has a disadvantage because over time the environment can cause the data to corrupt. It is important that when using the magnetic storage that data is re-saved over time to preserve the data.
Parsons & Oja explain that “an optical storage device stores data by using the microscopic light and dark spots on the disc surface. This is possible by the spindle that rotates the disk over a laser lens. The laser directs a beam of light outward the underside of the disk. The dark pits and light lands on the disc surface reflect the light differently. As the lens read the dis, these differences are translated into the 0s and 1s that represent data” (p 81). There is an advantage to using optical storage because it contains a plastic case that protects the drive, and is very durable against environmental causes.
A solid state storage is a device such as a flash drive. Parsons & Oja sta...
... middle of paper ...
... converting text, numbers, sound, photos and video into data that can be processed by digital devices (Parsons & Oja, 2014, p 5). The significance advantage to using Digitization is that this conversion allows it to be compatible with other languages. We can have the data at our fingertips to send through emails, burn onto a disk, create a slideshow, or watch a slideshow on the home theater system.
According to an article, WhatIs.com, retrieved from the web, “Digitizing information makes it easier to preserve, access, and share. For example, an original historical document may only be accessible to people who visit its physical location, but if the document content is digitized, it can be made available to people worldwide”.
Today, the evolution of the digitization era has successfully made it possible for everyone to own a device to communicate with others.
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- Hard Drives and External Hard Drives The purpose of a storage device is so the computer has a place to record and/or retrieve items to and from storage media (Shelly and Vermaat). There are many different ways to store and retrieve information two of them being a hard drive and an external drive. Both serve the similar purpose however, they are used for different reason or what some like to call, “their backup”. A hard drive or otherwise known as a hard disk is a storage device that contains one or more inflexible, circular platters that use magnetic particles to store data, instructions, and information.... [tags: computer, information, backup]
816 words (2.3 pages)
- Storage Devices Storage devices are used to record or retrieve data in technological devices. A device that only records information is called a recording medium; it does not allow for processing of the information. They allow for ease of access for the user to retrieve any data from the device that had been previously stored. They help run programs, view page content, and even allow for interaction on some web pages. There are two types of storage in computers; a primary storage, like RAM, or Random Access Memory, and a secondary storage, like a hard drive.... [tags: computer, program, magnetic disk]
658 words (1.9 pages)
- Modern Storage Devices There are many ways of storing information and data for use with modern computer systems and new developments are constantly being made. Many changes have occurred since the first personal computers were developed, allowing a lot more information to be stored, and on storage devices which are generally a lot smaller and easier to handle than methods of storage previously used. In the past two or three years, there has been a massive change in the emphasis that has been placed on certain storage devices.... [tags: Papers]
1543 words (4.4 pages)
- In simple terms, computer or digital forensic evidence analysis is the scientific collection of data that is either retrieved or held by a computer storage device that can be used against a criminal in a court of law. For the information to be used in court, it should be collected before it is presented. Therefore, there are a number of recommendations proposed to make sure that information collected meets the intended integrity. Information collected digitally from computers or media storage applications has protocols that need to be followed during the process.... [tags: Technology, Storage Devices, RAM]
716 words (2 pages)
- Introduction An essential part and daily use of human life today is technology. There has been major transformation in society and among businesses, dramatically since the last twenty years. The world has now been compact with the use of science and technology which is ever emerging, (UKEssays). Technology can be considered as one of the greatest change in the world today. This change has resulted in provident solutions to some of the world’s most pressing global challenges ranging from the scarcity of resources to global environmental change, (Afeyan, 2014).... [tags: electricity storage, transformation, technology]
909 words (2.6 pages)
- ... For instance, hosting companies keep redundant data files at different data centers in diverse regions to secure the stored data even after large-scale natural catastrophe (Wisegeek, 2014). Moreover, the resources, physically, may be extended over multiple servers in different sites, to which the customer has an easy remote access from any location or system having an Internet connection. On this account, the online data storage is of benefit to the hosting companies as well to the costumers.... [tags: data management, storage media]
962 words (2.7 pages)
- Flash Drives and Optical Storage What is a flash Drive. Well a USB Flash drive is a memory storage device that is plugged into a computer or other mobile devices. Flash Drive also called Thumb drives are very convenient for users, they are small and light weight and have a memory storage ranging from 512MB to 64Mb. (Gary B. Shelly).Most flash drives are removable and rewriteable. USB Flash drives are typically used for backups or transfers of computer files. Flash drives consist of small printed circuit boards carrying circuit elements, and USB connecters that are installed electorally, and are protected by plastic, metal, and sometimes a rubberized case.... [tags: usb, disks, data]
789 words (2.3 pages)
- Flash Drives and Optical Storage In Computing, optical disc drives are described by Wikipedia as a disk drive that uses laser light or electromagnetic waves within or near the visible light spectrum as part of the process of reading or writing data to or from optical discs. Some optical disc drives can only read from discs, but recent drives are able to both read and record, also called burners or writers. These drives are very commonly used in computers to read software and consumer media distributed on disc, and to record discs for archival and data exchange purposes.... [tags: disk, memory, usb]
719 words (2.1 pages)
- The use of the computer has had a dramatic impact on everything we as individuals and businesses do since its inception. Computers have gone from being the size of an entire room to something that can be held in your hand. They have also become a main source of storage. The need for storage has grown by leaps and bounds as more types and amounts of data are transferred and stored. Words, images, streaming video are all types of storage that are being housed on networks today. One of the earliest forms of data storage was the punch card.... [tags: Technology]
2452 words (7 pages)
- There are many aspects of computing that are important: accuracy of data input, convenience and quality of output, optimal storage devices, and processing speed of a computer. What are all these things and what are the best methods or types. Data Input Fundamental to accuracy of data input is assurance that the information system will be able to properly automate the collection of information and that the end-user is aware of and understands how information should be recorded. Stair and Reynolds (2006) supports, “Input can be a manual or an automated process.... [tags: Technology Computers]
1048 words (3 pages)
- Family Tradition : The Lunar New Year
- Daylight Savings Time : Daylight Time
- The Fast Food Industry Does Not Take Responsibility For The Increase
- Nazi And National Socialist Campaign Strategies And Propaganda
- The Effects Of Being Raised Bilingual On American Public Schools
- The Effects Of Training On Alcohol Abuse And Alcoholism Clinician 's Guide