The main objective of this study is to determine market reactions around the day of insider trading and the day of announcements on Indian stock market. We are curious to perform our analysis on Indian data because a major chunk of studies on insider trading are concentrated on the U.S data. Therefore, the analysis of India insider trading data provides an independent outcome to compare with previous studies’ results. Besides, there are enough differences between the US and India market, which indicate that the results of these studies may not be robust in Asia or emerging markets. First difference, the ownership structure of emerging markets’ firms is more concentrated than developed markets’ firms (La Porta et al, 1999). For example, La Porta et al (1998) find that in the Indian firm, the top th...
... middle of paper ...
... to price ratio and size effects of approximately 9% per annum in market model error term. Moreover, Finnerty (1976) finds that insiders most likely to buy their own stock when a firm is a small size and having low BM ratio compared to other firms whose stocks the average insiders are selling. If insiders’ buy tend to be concentrated in small size and low BM firms, the abnormal returns of insider trading information that are calculated by the market model may be significantly differ from zero in the absence of special information.
In this paper, we calculate adjusted abnormal returns of insider trading that take into account the size and BM ratio effects. In this methodology, we argue that when we match the firm of insider trading with similar size and BM ratio portfolio, and then adjusted abnormal returns will be originated because of the special information.
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- However in stock markets the price of stock movements at some stage in the day additionally as proven underneath. Margin buying and selling enables investor profit from intraday actions within the stock markets if the price actions to his favors. Graph No. 3.2 Margin buying and selling of Capital Win Let’s see this graph to understand how it works. Say, if investor will have taken a buy position at 9:15 a.m. at Rs. 69.85 and exited at Rs. 70.60 at 11:00 a.m., investor would have earned a go back of 1% on total alternate value and effective go back could have been about 5% of investor overall capital used for alternate.... [tags: Stock market, Stock, Share, Share price]
748 words (2.1 pages)
- The two things that could make a human gullible is either not being prepared or being over prepared. This is because listening to someone who is rich and powerful makes you believe that you are also something great, but not everyone is truthful of what they say and instead they act for their own self-interest. This story is directly related to lies, deception and karma. It all begins in 2007, I was just admitted at the New York Stock Exchange for a position of a stock broker. I graduated with a 4.5 GPA and I got offers from many companies from all around the world but I decided to follow my father’s advice and he always use to say to me: “Son…Go for your dreams, but never lie to yourself and... [tags: Stock market, Stock, Stock exchange]
895 words (2.6 pages)
- QUESTION 1 (i) Security markets refer to any type of financial investment at the stock market. A security market encompasses; equity markets, bond markets, and derivatives markets. Only a few companies in East Africa are enlisted at the stock exchange due to the technicalities of listing companies and the disadvantages that comes with it. Enlisting a company at the securities exchange market has advantage and disadvantages. The following are some of the advantages and disadvantages of enlisting a company at the securities exchange market; Advantages of Enlisting a Company at the Securities Exchange Market (a) Free Coverage and Publicity; Enlisting a company at the securities exchange market... [tags: Stock market, Stock exchange]
1382 words (3.9 pages)
- As we discussed in the introduction part, whether or not the future stock price could be predictable still fiercely debated in finance areas. Basing on some certain trading rule of the strategies, investors could earn abnormal returns through the predictability of stock price. This chapter is aim to review the momentum studies in recent years. Currently, there has been an extensive literature paragraphs on the alternative explanations of momentum strategies which including the source, the profit and the characteristics.... [tags: Stock market, Stock, Stock exchange, Share price]
1309 words (3.7 pages)
- Stock Valuation Introduction This week Team B reviewed and discussed the "Concept Review Video: "Stock Valuation." In this video, a former lawyer by the name of Katherine Collins Lang now a private investor reflects on how her grandmother was the next door millionaire with a profession as a teacher. Her grandmother invested in the market with blue chip stocks, and they grew over time. Katherine Collins inherited the stocks and eventually sold off those stocks at a loss in the telecommunications industries in 2001-2002 when stocks were down.... [tags: Stock market, Stock, Bond, Investment]
731 words (2.1 pages)
- “When you’re young, saving for something that’s years away—aka retirement—may not seem important. But it is exactly when you should start saving. The more time your money is invested, the more time it has to grow.” (Fidelity) Stocks are a great and somewhat easy way to have the money that is invested in them exponentially grow overtime. It’s a great way to start saving for future plans like a family and retirement, and can become more and more beneficial throughout the years. Even investing small amounts of money into the market can lead to larger profit in the future.... [tags: Stock market, Stock, Preferred stock, Security]
1581 words (4.5 pages)
- According to Investopedia (2003), the New York Stock Exchange, otherwise known as NYSE, is a stock exchange based in New York City. It is considered the largest equities-based exchange in the world based on total market capitalization of its listed securities. Additionally, it stated that NYSE was founded in 1972 but became a public entity in 2005 after the acquisition of electronic trading exchange Archipelago. The NYSE Euronext is the parent company of the New York Stock Exchange. This came into play when the company merged with the European exchange in 2007.... [tags: Stock exchange, Stock, New York Stock Exchange]
1476 words (4.2 pages)
- During the first week of this finance project, I did not select to buy or sell any additional stocks. It took me a little while to figure out the charts on Yahoo Finance and see how the stock market was doing. For this reason, I just chose to observe and record my stocks every Monday, Wednesday, and Friday in order to be consistent. I have never invested or even thought about stocks before starting this class. This class was very helpful and informative to me for this case. In an excel spreadsheet, I tracked down the price of each share for each day, as well as the new values in order to see how much money I have lost or gained.... [tags: Stock market, Stock, Share, Investment]
1000 words (2.9 pages)
- Assignment#1 Sijia Duan 5264643 ECON3P03 Bond is a kind of financial contract, which is issued by the government, financial institutions, industrial and commercial enterprises directly to the society to borrow money, issued to the investors, at the same time promised to pay interest at a certain rate and repay the principal according to the agreed conditions.... [tags: Finance, Stock, Stock market, Bond]
866 words (2.5 pages)
- A Stock Exchange is an organized market for buying and selling financial instruments known as securities, which include stocks, bonds, options, and futures. Most stock exchanges have specific locations where the trades are completed. For the stock of a company to be traded at these exchanges, it must be listed, and to be listed, the company must satisfy certain requirements. But not all stocks are bought and sold at a specific site. Such stocks are referred to as unlisted. Many of these stocks are traded over the counterthat is, by telephone or by computer.... [tags: Stock Exchange Market Research Paper]
819 words (2.3 pages)