In baseball there have always been problems with steroids damaging our most talented Major League Baseball players. Some 1995, the steroid problem has amplified. Many of these major league baseball players are now in taking harmful drugs that boost their performance. Steroid products that should not be used; illegal to use them. Mandatory drug testing should be part of Major League Baseball, and all other sports. Last year, random and anonymous tests were given to some of the MLB ’s players. Between 5% and 7% of the tests, came back positive for steroid use. (Antonen,2006,pg.4) I feel that all players should face harsh punishments if resulted positive.
Steroids are drugs commonly classified as anabolic,
androgenic, and corticosteroids. Corticosteroids are used therapeutically to mimic or augment the effects of the naturally
occurring corticosteroids. Another name for this steroid is adrenocorticosteroid. It is used for hormone replacement, suppression secretion, and to suppress the immune response. They are also related to the drug cortical, a hormone which is naturally produced in the adrenal cortex(the outer layer of the adrenal gland). This steroid acts on the immune system by blocking the production of substances that trigger allergic and inflammatory reactions, such as prostaglandrins.
Anabolic is another steroid that professional baseball players use. This steroid helps with the tissue building effect. A common form of this steroid is testosterone. It is used to improve in body weight in adolescent teens and middle-aged adults. Some major effects of this steroid include liver tumors, jaundice, fluid retention, sev...
... middle of paper ...
...ds and Jason Giambi who both reportedly tested positive once. In both cases the results were leaked to the media and neither players denied the reports and neither was suspended under the
terms of Major League Baseball’s drug policy.
Although there are numerous negative effects of steroid usage, many players use steroids for other reasons. Players may use steroids to increase leanness, muscle definition, increase muscle mass and weight, increase strength, increase effectiveness of training, improve recovery rate, increase aggressiveness, and for a sex drive.
Unfortunately, the player’s ability to stop using steroids at any point in his career, even the harsher new punishment scheme will not curb steroid use until a player has already been caught once. If the league wants to inhibit steroid use completely, it will need to tighten its policies .
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- Steroid Use in Major League Baseball Steroids are unhealthy for baseball players and they are giving the game of baseball a bad reputation. Since steroids have become such a hot topic in Major League Baseball (MLB) fans have had nothing but bad things to say about the sport and its players. When sports illustrated asked some of its readers to give reaction to the steroid controversy in the MLB here is what baseball fan Howard Langsner from New York had to say 'Horrible, just horrible. We take Olympic medals away from athletes on steroids, but we're supposed to look the other way in MLB because a guy can make the ball go further.... [tags: Sports Drugs Steroids Baseball]
1590 words (4.5 pages)
- The purpose in constructing this report is to take a look and study the illegal steroid use in Major League Baseball, and possible ways it can be exempt from the game forever. Use of performance enhancing drugs is cheating and causes inequalities, in which new repercussions should be implemented. These new rules should include a zero tolerance level, records stripped and not being rewarded of their accomplishments; which is to include banishment from an admittance into the Hall of Fame. Furthermore, it causes major health concerns and could end a player’s career, along with mitigating health problems down the road.... [tags: testosterone, hormone, tolerance]
1344 words (3.8 pages)
- Steroid Use in Major League Baseball Why Major League Baseball players would use steroids is the biggest question that every person in the world wants to know. I think MLB players use steroids so they can bulk up and get stronger, which will allow them to last through the long, seven-month season. I think that because they play 162 games a year during these seven months that this causes a great deal of wear and tear on their bodies. Especially if a player gets hurt, they might try to take illegal medicines, such as steroids, to help them get back on the field quicker, hoping that maybe they could help their team win the pennant.... [tags: Sports]
1276 words (3.6 pages)
- The Use of Steroids in Major League Baseball He walked into his hotel bathroom and cautiously closed the door. Clanging his 60 lb. dumbbell against the floor, he set his travel bag full of needles on the counter. While filling his syringe with THG, he began to think about the consequences of his actions; it is a serious problem, but he doesn't have the willpower to give up the success rewarded from it. As the needle slowly penetrated through the skin and half way through his muscle, he unloaded the syringe and felt the steroids settle throughout his leg.... [tags: Expository Essays Research Papers]
3079 words (8.8 pages)
- Steroids in baseball, particularly in Major League Baseball (MLB), have become a major issue. Two specific athletes have affected Major league Baseball dramatically; these players are Mark McGwire and Barry Bonds. It is hard to catch a steroid user. Don Catlin, a former director at the UCLA Olympic testing lab says time after time they try to find the users and test them method, after they have evidence, however, this method does not work (Quinn). Mark McGwire’s and Barry Bonds’ use of steroids affected baseball in terms of trust issues, record holders, drug policies, and the future of baseball.... [tags: Mark McGwire, Barry Bonds]
1591 words (4.5 pages)
- Anabolic Steroid Use in Major League Baseball (MLB) - Steroids Must be Banned Athletes, whether they are young or old, pro or amateur, are always looking to gain an advantage over their opponent. Some may look towards an anabolic steroid, a powerful drug that many people take in order to boost athletic performance. But are these anabolic steroids safe for the human body. Many doctors think the answer to this question is no. The use of steroids in the MLB should be banned, as they are now. In the 1930’s, steroids were known to be used for homosexuals to lower there testosterone.... [tags: Athletes Sports Drugs Anabolic]
507 words (1.4 pages)
- Major League Baseball has major problems and chief among them is the alarming increase in steroid use by professional baseball players. Many authors and journalists discuss this topic by citing statistics and studies, but illustrator Adam Zyglis provides an astounding, compelling argument using nothing but a pen and paper to support his point. His remarkable caricature is a depiction of a baseball with the New York Yankees insignia stamped in the center with the number thirteen beneath the symbol.... [tags: Major League Baseball, Drug Testing]
904 words (2.6 pages)
- Imagine a drug that would turn anyone from a slim, slender, frail being to a masculine, bodybuilding physique, increasing strength and endurance to help boost performance level in any sport. Without knowing the side effects would you take this drug. This drug known as an anabolic androgenic steroid has been used by many professional athletes to help improve their performance level. Anabolic androgenic steroids are a synthetic derivative of the male hormone testosterone used to build muscle mass.... [tags: Use of Anabolic Steroids]
1084 words (3.1 pages)
- The Use of Steroids in Major League Sports There has been a lot of controversy about steroids in sports. The pressure has caused some sport stars to admit to their use of steroids. Some of these people are Barry Bonds, Gary Sheffield, and Jason Giambi. Steroids though seem very helpful to professional athletes, it can very dangerous and can help people get advantage over other people. Steroids have been around for a long time. “The first people to use anabolic steroids for athletic enhancement were the Russians who discovered the drug and had great success.” They stared to use the steroids in the 1950’s.... [tags: Athletes Drugs Professional Baseball Doping]
816 words (2.3 pages)
- Analysis of the Official Website of Major League Baseball Major League Baseball is not only America’s favorite past time but, it is also one of America’s longest known sports. As the playoffs approach this year baseball gets more intense as the teams try to secure their playoff position as well as making the wildcard cut. The Major League Baseball website is to everyone who loves the game and wants to follow up on all the latest games along with the great plays of the day. There is a step by step process for following every game of the day.... [tags: Website Major League Baseball]
696 words (2 pages)