“Diversity represents the multitude of individual differences and similarities that exist among people” (McGraw-Hill). There are different layers of diversity in the workplace. The first layer is organizational dimensions, which consists of work location, seniority, management status, department etc. The next layer is external dimension such as income, religion, appearance, marital status etc. The third layer is internal dimension such as race, ethnicity, physical ability, sexual orientation, and gender. The last layer is personality. So it’s important to understand that if you have a group of people and they are all the same gender and race there can still be diversity amongst that group of people.
As a manager I think it’s important to encourage diversity in the workplace. The first step as a manager if given the opportunity would be the selection of my team. I would hire people from different that consisted of different genders, race, and cultures. I would communicate to my team that diversity is encourage in the work environment. I incorporate team building exercises in the workplace so the employees could learn more about each other. Diversity would be incorporated into the department policy and each employee would be required to read and sign the policy. When selecting teams to work on a project I would make sure that there is diversity amongst the team. I think would assign the members of the team...
... middle of paper ...
...any’s success. Lastly, resource acquisition is where a company has the resources it needs in order to function and be successful.
I have worked for mechanistic organization and an organic organization. Each company was to their extremes. I have to say that my preference is to work for a company that has a balance between mechanistic and organic. However, both companies were successful in their approaches and they both have goals defined in order to be successful.
Whether a company is a mechanistic or organic it is important for them to have goals. In my opinion the best approach for a mechanistic or organic company is goal accomplishment. In order for a company to be successful is defined by their goals. How they reach those goals is not what matter the most.
McGraw-Hill Education (2013). Organizational Behavior. United States of America
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- ABSTRACT This paper analyses the relationship between cultural diversity and workgroup outcomes (satisfaction with workgroup, and workgroup performance) in multicultural organizations, in the presence of moderating variables of intragroup conflicts (task, relationship and process conflicts). Literature review suggests that cultural diversity negatively affects workgroup outcomes and triggers conflicts. Analysis of empirical data collected from employees of multicultural organizations produces results in line with the literature and suggests that there is negative relationship between cultural diversity and workgroup outcomes, while intragroup conflicts have a strong moderating effect on th... [tags: Racial Diversity, Ethnic Diversity]
3798 words (10.9 pages)
- As the importance of diversity in organizations has come to the forefront, beckoned by research touting performance improvements and other benefits, unforeseen negative effects have emerged with it (Joplin & Daus, 2003). The potential ramifications of these negative consequences can diminish, or negate, the potential benefits of diversification. Joplin and Daus (2003) state that these negative consequences have not been studied as robustly as the positive effects. The authors also note that the increasing diversity of the workforce demands that leaders develop stronger skills in order to prevent these issues.... [tags: Management, Leadership, Positive psychology]
1258 words (3.6 pages)
- I. Project Summary Students at Arcadia University are requesting a grant in order to restore the two streams on campus: Beaver Creek and Tookany Creek. Their objectives are to reduce the pollution and to prevent runoff as well as to restore and conserve the quality of the two streams. The students collected some data and saw small increases in nitrate and chlorine levels in the soil and water. Even though the concentrations of nitrate and chlorine are small, if not dealt with, the concentrations of both nitrate and chlorine will increase and cause many negative effects to the organisms living in the streams as well as the organisms that depend on the stream as a water source.... [tags: reduce pollution, planting, native vegetation]
871 words (2.5 pages)
- There are many reason that Americans should consider awareness about Diversity acceptance especially with the transgender population as it is the upcoming phenomenon that the world needs to acknowledge. Although, Employment Non-Discrimination Act of 2013, ENDA - (Sec. 4), Prohibits covered entities (employers, employment agencies, labor organizations, or joint labor-management committees) from engaging in employment discrimination on the basis of an individual 's actual or perceived sexual orientation or gender identity.... [tags: Discrimination, Gender, Employment, Transgender]
1156 words (3.3 pages)
- Diversity Paper The advancement of the United States as a multicultural nation has also created the evolution of public administration. The introduction of new cultures, race, and ethnic diversities has created adjustments to the creation of public programs and services. In particular, affirmative action is the single factor that is stimulating public programs and services relating to racial and ethnic diversity. There isn’t any area in public administration which is not influenced by policy and laws governed by affirmative action.... [tags: Multicultural Nation, Public Administration]
996 words (2.8 pages)
- Just as governments, nations and economies have become intensified and connected, through the transmission of cultural ideas, meanings and values have also merged together (Wise, 2010), this acculturation has been enabled and sped up by the internet, media and a cheaper air-travel (Kofman and Youngs, 2008). Socio-cultural globalisation has contributed to an expansion of people 's consciousness (Steger, 2009), Roland Robertson coins the term "glocalisation" when referring to cultural hybridity, such a process has allowed people to enjoy a variety of cuisines, traditions, music, movies and books that were not previously available before in one country (Crothers, 2010).... [tags: Economy, Economics, Globalization]
761 words (2.2 pages)
- An Episode of Negative Leadership Everyone can think of a time during their career when the leaders that they had were not exhibiting the most positive or supportive of leadership styles. I have experienced several episodes of discrimination and harassment in my work environment; ultimately, most of them were resolved by communication and work by me and the leader I was working with. One such occurrence did not end with the leader learning to resolve the problem on their own and thus no closure was experienced by either of us.... [tags: Management]
844 words (2.4 pages)
- Diversity Diversity is differences between individuals and groups of people. There are many things about a child or young person, that are similar or have in common, but diversity means that they are also different from each other and unique in many ways. Diversity is about recognising that each child is different, but also valuing their differences. Differences could be culture, background or race. A way to create a productive environment in an early years setting, is for everyone to embrace, understand and accept these differences.... [tags: Discrimination, Affirmative action, Egalitarianism]
1047 words (3 pages)
- The recent business trends of globalization and increasing inter-group differences has turned scholarly attention to the management of demographic differences. These diversities exist in today’s modern company where demographics, cultural and personal differences among the workers and customers who do business with the company, i.e. surface – level diversity and deep level diversity. The relationships between racial and gender diversity often affects the business organizational performance. However, regardless of these trends, research has revealed the diversity practice's impact on companies performances linger absent (lacking).... [tags: Diversity ]
684 words (2 pages)
- Positive Effects of Conservation Tillage For centuries farmers have used plowing as a tool for weed control, and in some cases to promote plant growth. At first man had used animals to pull plows and other equipment, with the invention of the tractor work that would normally be done with animals could be done more easily and quickly. Although plowing has been a common and widely used tool for managing weed control, there are many negative impacts associated with this method. Conservation tillage is a method where some of crop residues, if not all of crop residues, are left on the surface of the soil.... [tags: Agriculture Farming Farms Environment Essays]
1466 words (4.2 pages)
- Human Trafficking is Becoming One of the Largest Criminal Enterprises in the US
- Effects of Sleep Deprivation on the Academic Performance of DLSL Accountancy Students
- Analysis of the Role of Operant Learning in Explaining Consumer Behaviour.
- An Emergency to Support the Indigent in the US
- The Cause of The Bubonic Plague
- Analysis on the benefits of Private Accounting